BCCI blames media for stirring up unrest

Indian cricket board president Sharad Pawar has slammed sections of the country's media for stirring up unrest following the national team's shock defeat to Bangladesh in their World Cup opener. Irate fans hurled stones at a house being built by wicketkeeper Mahendra Dhoni in his hometown of Ranchi and burnt effigies of captain Rahul Dravid and coach Greg Chappell after that defeat. India rebounded on Monday with a record victory over Bermuda but still need to beat former champions Sri Lanka on Friday to ensure they qualify for the next round. "A section of the electronic media goes to town on the blame game, trying to find out who is responsible for the defeat. It is not good," Pawar was quoted by local media on Tuesday. "The media gives disproportionate coverage to cricket and it goes a long way in raising expectations. They praise the team sky high when it wins... sometimes things go wrong." India's World Cup-frenzy has been fuelled by television channels and media outlets touting the team as favourites. Since their arrival in the Caribbean last month, India's every move has been tracked minute-by-minute. "Right now what is needed is to lift the morale of the cricketers because they are too tensed. Cricket is a game of chance and luck," said Pawar, who is also an influential central minister. Local media reported on Tuesday that opener Virender Sehwag's house near New Delhi was put under police security following the attack on Dhoni's house. "It is the media which made him (Dhoni) into a hero, the attack is most unfortunate."

Re: BCCI blames media for stirring up unrest good to see somebody from the cricketing establishment finally talk some sense. i am tired of all the phone calls, emails etc since saturday asking me what went wrong,who should be shot, etc etc. surprisingly, no one called me to talk about the ground-breaking multi-nat'l lawsuit in which ranbaxy is taking on US giant Pfizer in 17 countries. nor did the media.

Re: BCCI blames media for stirring up unrest Makes lot of sense. Indian Press contaminates the minds of Indian fans with unrealistic expectations and unworthy insights. They play the second fiddle in creating interest and hate among followers. When things go wrong they do the oppossite and plays the blame game. This has to stp. Good to see it coming from BCCI finally!

Re: BCCI blames media for stirring up unrest I actually agree with fat bastard sharad powar for once... the only news i catch here is the half hour news show on zee international, and believe me, they sensationalize cricket way too much. they engage in prejudgement, blame game, slander and uncalled for premonition. i recall once when chappel gave the players an ear full for their shoddy discipline during the training sessions (and he was spot on as you could see how disenchanted harbhajan was even when being reprimanded) and the media used some directional microphones to pick it up and blame the sh*t out of chappel, criticizing him for reprimanding the team ahead of a tournament (the west indies home series which we later won). its amazing at times, the indian media when it comes to current affairs is absolutely brilliant, i love how the report on issues ranging from current affairs to violent disturbances (i recall these reporters caught in the cross fire between the army and some terrorists hiding in downtown Srinagar and how the cameraman kept the camera rolling after suffering shrapnel injuries to his hands and face), yet when it comes to cricket, they are over enthusiastic, and over sensationalists. almost tabloid!

Re: BCCI blames media for stirring up unrest

It is not very difficult for folks to decipher who scored big fat zeros from the scorecards.
Exactly. People in India are not stupid , they can see when we have done cr#p and respond accordingly. They can for example all see that veeru is fat and that he has played cr#p for a year. They dont need the media to tell them this