Uthappa

Dhondy

How I dislike this guy! How did he win selection? Such a mediocre player! Absolute rubbish. On top of it all, he is a showboater. How do the selectors commit such bloopers? Needs to be kicked out and replaced by Pathan or Kartick for the crucial SL tie. Personally, I'd like to Sreesanth in the side for the fire in his belly, but don't think he'll be selected.

Re: Uthappa he will be very very valuable, if we bat second on a slightly flat track chasing a biggish score.... trust me..... we got to have some patience..... pretenders like powell, franklin, anderson will be taken on a joyride first-up.... i agree, he is useless on a pitch which has movement..... but seeing what i have, so far, batting second, this kid gonna make a big target look like a pie....

Re: Uthappa Dhondy, I'm not a great fan of him either but I beg to differ on calling him a disaster. He has played extensivelly in domestic season and topped this season with his bat. The guy has 3 half centuries in international so far. How can selectors miss all these. Has been a failure in World Cup but I dont see him going out of the squad anytime soon. He has shown promise and we need to groom such players along with seniors. I see him as an explosive opener who could provide excellent starts. Just give him some time he'll come good. He's called a front foot player but then most of the Indians play that way.

Re: Uthappa

How I dislike this guy! How did he win selection? Such a mediocre player! Absolute rubbish. On top of it all, he is a showboater. How do the selectors commit such bloopers? Needs to be kicked out and replaced by Pathan or Kartick for the crucial SL tie. Personally, I'd like to Sreesanth in the side for the fire in his belly, but don't think he'll be selected.
hmmm...i wonder who else was saying that for the last 3 months.

Re: Uthappa I dont rate Uthappa either, but he's a useful batsman in power plays. I like one attribute about Uthappa that i'd love to see in our seniors. "No fear of failure". Sehwag used to have that, but not anymore. That attitude will make up for Uthappa's shortcomings with the bat. The alternative to not playing Uthappa is playing KKD or Pathan. Am not sure, either of them is clearly better than Uthappa at this point. Besides, Uthappa is an impact player, cant say the same about Pathan or KKD.

Re: Uthappa give him break...one game he is opening and another game he is not... I havnt seen many indian batsman hooking and pulling off front foot to a real fast bowler like Malinga...he has lot of talent...he just has to give 2-3 overs to the bowler and than go for kitchen sink..

Re: Uthappa Whether we like it or not, he is the most aggressive bat our FC cricket has to offer. He has been selected based on merit and should be persisted with. Havent we included Aggy in the team and how many times has he effed up?? Hope he takes care of that asura - Malinga for us in the next match. :hic:

Re: Uthappa You guys are taken in so easily by pretenders! He is just a hit and miss merchant whose skills can't keep up with his brainfarts. Any quick bowler worth his salt will get him 10/10. The only impact he will make is when the captain's boot hits his backside.

Re: Uthappa >He is just a hit and miss merchant whose skills can't keep up with his brainfarts. >Any quick bowler worth his salt will get him 10/10. I am guessing you have just watched him in WC..You did not see his innings against WI and SL recently..They had plenty of fast bowlers in their ranks...Uthappa hit them with disdain... I just cant get over that front foot hook off 145 kph delivery by Malinga..

Re: Uthappa His technique is pretty useless but he has a good temperament. Really goes after the bowling regardless of reputation and has the ability to unsettle them if the bowl isn't moving around. He's the kind of batsman who can be useful in a chase when all our batsmen unnecessarily go into a shell.

Re: Uthappa >His technique is pretty useless but he has a good temperament. If technique was only the criteria..Sanjay Manjrekar would have been Don Bradman.. Sehwag, Ganguly, Yuvraj..all have $hit technique... All he has to do is play out 2-3 overs quietly and then launch his attack...

Re: Uthappa He's not as terrible as people make out. Some of the shots I've seen him play suggests he has fantastic eye hand and can be very successful in ODIs. Whether the same can be said about him in test matches is debatable but for ODIs you can afford such ones that will come good one couple of times in about 5 games. When he does come good, rest assured India will hopefully win. Nope he's not terrible at all.