Woolmer post mortem inconclusive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6467811.stm
Woolmer post-mortem inconclusive The cause of Woolmer's death is not yet known A post-mortem on Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer has proved "inconclusive" and further tests are to be carried out. Woolmer died on Sunday, aged 58, after collapsing at the team hotel in Jamaica a few hours after the team's surprise defeat by Ireland. His family authorised the authorities to carry out the post-mortem. When the investigation is completed, his body will be taken back to his home in Cape Town, South Africa, accompanied by team trainer Murray Stevenson. Obituary: Bob Woolmer Interview: Pakistan team manager Pervez Mir Interview: Former Test umpire Dickie Bird Woolmer, who appeared in Tests for England during his playing career, was a known diabetic and there were reports he had recently complained of breathing difficulties. His family say he had been suffering from stress and believe this may have brought on a heart attack. On Monday, Jamaica police deputy commissioner Mark Shields said the death was being treated as suspicious. But he added: "We would always treat any sudden death - even in the UK - as suspicious until we can prove otherwise." Everybody is shocked because he was a good coach and a much better human being Inzamam-ul-Haq Mushtaq Ahmed, who has taken over as coach for Pakistan's game against Zimbabwe on Wednesday, described the mood among the players as one of "total depression". He said: "The loss of Bob Woolmer is the biggest blow in the history of the Pakistan cricket team. He was a father figure to all of us. "There is a great vacuum because Bob had become part of the family and when you lose a member of the family one knows how bad it is. It is a very difficult time for all of us." Mushtaq, who had been working alongside Woolmer as the team's bowling coach, added: "Bob was a great man who could forgive so much in spite of anything that happened. "He also used to impart knowledge and was also such a good and kind human being. "Bob was a great motivating factor for us, always trying to bring in new theories to improvise the game of cricket."
Hmm.. a stroke shouldn't have been that difficult to figure out one would think. :chin:

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive Jamaican police is treating this as a homicide. Police suspect Woolmer's death is NOT due to natural causes. "The Times" reporting that 5 bookies from PAK travelled to WI in early March. According to "The Times" Woolmer was writing a book "Discovering Cricket" exposing the nexus between Pakistani cricketers and Bookies.

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive

Jamaican police is treating this as a homicide. Police suspect Woolmer's death is NOT due to natural causes. "The Times" reporting that 5 bookies from PAK travelled to WI in early March. According to "The Times" Woolmer was writing a book "Discovering Cricket" exposing the nexus between Pakistani cricketers and Bookies.
tht means wat sarfarz has said is more r less correct... :huh: then it also means tht some of the pak players mite also b involved in the bookie thing and hence mebe in the death as well... :huh:

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive I hope it was a natural death and nothing more. However I must raise a doubt that has bugged me. Call me cynical but I have wondered about the retirement of Inzamam. Sure it can be an emotional decision, and Inzzy doesnt come across as very level-headed anyway, but if there was an ugly angle to this whole drama maybe Inzzy could have been next? Maybe that is why his weird timing? Considering the amount of money that many "strongmen" have already lost in this World Cup I would not be surprised with that, though would obviously be greatly saddened. I hope it is just my stupid apprehensions and nothing more.

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive I don't really think much is going to come out of the investigations. Firstly they have to keep in mind it is closely connected with the sport "Cricket" and the officials will do all that in their capacity to ensure nothing comes out of it if there is any controversy at all. Secondly you don't want to prove that as a suicide either. The family will not take it lightly considering he has been through similar situations god knows how many times in his career as player and coach. I don't believe this was a planned murder involving bookies and stuff. It is just a useless comment by some insane man i.e Sarfraz Nawaz. The killing would serve absolutely no purpose and no way bookies would have put their money on Pakistan given the returns they would have got. I think it well could be pressure and health reasons that got the man. If it is proved that way everything will settle down. That truly is an ideal situation for the family, the sport and for the man himself. You don't want them saying he gave up his life on his own for not being able to take a terrible loss, that sounds so out of place.

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive The autopsy, performed by Dr Ere Sheshiah, started at 9:35am, and was concluded by noon. Gill Woolmer, Bob's wife, was officially informed of the findings at 12:35pm, and the Jamaican police then met team officials to inform them of the autopsy findings. With the pathologist unable to ascertain the cause of death, samples taken were sent for toxicology and histology tests. The results are awaited. When asked what sort of timeframe we were looking at, Mark Shields, the deputy commissioner of police, said: "It depends on the results. As of now, we don't know the cause of death." Shields was then asked if the inconclusive findings suggested that anything was amiss. "Not necessarily," he said. "Any sudden death is treated as suspicious till we can say otherwise. At this moment, we're not ruling out anything." According to Colin Pinnock, the deputy superintendent who is the chief investigating officer, such occurrences were not uncommon. "It happens," he said. "The pathologist just wants to be absolutely sure. Samples have been sent to the forensic lab and the national lab."

Re: Woolmer post mortem inconclusive

I find it difficult to buy the bookie/fixing angle. If anything the bookies if they had known the outcome of the match would have made a killing on Ireland beating Pakistan. The odds were going at 12-15/1.
Fair point. But that would be one-time thingy. Imagine how much more would ride on Pakistan going further. I mean say the next game Windies play Ireland. What would be the odds on Ireland? Very low. And that would be true at every level really. xx