Harbhajan is now Officially Unbowlable

Mr. Wicket

new morning. new bowler owned them what should be the headline??
If Cricinfo wanted to refer to Harbhajan's performance, it should've been 'England's tail succumbs to Harbhajan'. Plainly, he isnt the reason why England got bowled out for 300-odd. He contributed yes, but other bowlers played equally important roles, in the context of the entire innings. To mention his name alone is inaccurate. Lets be honest, if the umpire had upheld Zak's lbw shout of Monty the previous over, Zak would have ended up with 4. What then? The appropriate headline for today's play so far would have been 'India wraps up English tail' or 'England all out for 302' or whatever.
Bhajji will be more consistent only when he is sees some REAL challenge to his place as spin spearhead in the team. I hope after Mishra, both Pragyan & Piyush etc. up their game. Only internal competetion will bring best out of Bhajji.
what does "internal competition" mean?.the only we see competition is by dropping bhajji.
what does "internal competition" mean?.the only we see competition is by dropping bhajji.
That means, either of Ojha/Chawala perform well to prove that they can replace Bhajji any day. At present that is not happening. Mishra has shown promise, but even then Bhajji place is safe as second spinner since India believes in 2-spinner theory in Tests. personally I have no problem with Bhajji, even when his bowling is unimpressive, he manages to take wickets. That said, he is lot more talented than this and can do better than bowling ODIsque flat deliveries in Test matches.
That means, either of Ojha/Chawala perform well to prove that they can replace Bhajji any day. At present that is not happening. Mishra has shown promise, but even then Bhajji place is safe as second spinner since India believes in 2-spinner theory in Tests. personally I have no problem with Bhajji, even when his bowling is unimpressive, he manages to take wickets. That said, he is lot more talented than this and can do better than bowling ODIsque flat deliveries in Test matches.
yes but i still feel bhajji is our best spinner and i dont see any body even close-they are not going to drop bhajji just to introduce a new bowler in a test match unless its against bangladesh or if he is injured-the only way we see a new spinner is that mishra really sucks it up and we have to replace him.we need a good off-spinner and bhajji is it for the conceivable future and this hand -wringing is not going to change it.
yes but i still feel bhajji is our best spinner and i dont see any body even close-they are not going to drop bhajji just to introduce a new bowler in a test match unless its against bangladesh or if he is injured-the only way we see a new spinner is that mishra really sucks it up and we have to replace him.we need a good off-spinner and bhajji is it for the conceivable future and this hand -wringing is not going to change it.
No he's not. Bhajji isn't a threat against top order batsmen. He can threaten the tailenders and that's fine, we need a spinner to clean up the tail and Bhajji routinely pads his stats by doing that. But when it comes to being a frontline spinner and taking top order wickets, he hasn't done that for how many years? It's pretty clear that our fast bowlers are the ones that make the early breakthroughs.

^^ and that is something which should concern all Indian fans, because Bhajji is in the team as our MAIN spin attack in test matches. If our frontline main spinner is not regarded as threat to top order batsmen of opposition, then we will be in serious trouble winning in subcontinent, particularly when pitches won't offer much for pacers and you need to get a set batsman out before he builds up a big partnership -- precisely the job of a main spinner.

There are two facts we need to digest: 1. Harbhajan is not as good as some of us think he is. He has many weaknesses. 2. Still he is the best we have.
No we all realise he is not mendis. Bhaji is a good spinner and is 3rd best in world. He will need runs on the board and helpful pitches. However given the support he has in pacers and runs to play with he continues and will be an effective performer for us. He is certainly the best we have and until a magician turns up he will continue to be rightly selected, especially with his valuable contributions with the bat as well