Trying out bench strength for ODIs 4 and 5?

fineleg

Congrats to Team India for winning the series 3-0. This drubbing gives a tiny comfort for the Test defeat, however I hope our team will avenge that Test series sometime in the future. Back to ODIs: For ODI4 and ODI5, what about rotations and testing bench strength? (the latter is important) How do we get in Rohit Sharma, R. Jadeja, Irfan Pathan... 2 matches for Irfan Pathan I say - rest Zaheer Khan for ODI-4 and Ishant Sharma for ODI-5 - get Irfan Pathan for both matches, we need to see his current form. L.Balaji? not sure - Maybe rotate him with giving our ZK and IS rest too. 2 matches for Rohit Sharma Rest Sehwag and get Rohit Sharma (Let SRT and GG open) just for ODI-4. Rest Yuvi for ODI-5 and get Rohti Sharma (SRT, VS, GG all play) for ODI-5. 2 matches for R.Jadeja ODI-4 in place of P.Ojha? (Yusuf Pathan stays in 11) ODI-5 in place of Y.Pathan? (P.Ojha comes back after one match break)

whats the need to play God for the last 2 matches???
he didnt get to play in 3 odis really due to umpires! hence he wont want to rest and kulasekara/thushara/dilhara will get some moojik in odi4 n 5 from srt (unless charmpies do a consecutive 4th time! :angry_smile:)

^ Else, in another 2 weeks or so, we might get threads popping up that say Sachin has been a failure for the past 2 months, so he needs to retire. :P So I'd like him to score a few runs and give a lot of the strike in the first 5 overs or so to Sehwag. So that he can break the jinx.

yep I agree ravindra jadeja , pathan and rohit who are sitting in the bench are real good n strong guys who may stregthen the team only.. i suggest pathan shud replace zaheer,jadeja and rohit should replace 2 batsmen in sehwag and raina..as sehwag does nt need to play these not too critical matches and others would get a chance to bat. I could even ask gambhir to rest as he is a certainity to play , even dhoni can rest in one of the matches and ask sehwag to captain..

we shouldn't be making too many changes as it may backfire balaji can be drafted in place of praveen kumar ravindra jadeda can come in place of ojha, though ojha performed well in the 3rd game and scalped 4 india should look to open with gambhir and sehwag, with sachin at 3 coz, sachin opening has been unlucky with the umpires, gambhir too hasn't done good enough coming at 3 so change in batting positions may bring change in luck sachin must play as he needs to get a big innings, it is due!!!! zak n ishant must retain their place as we are now playing to become no 1 rohit sharma, i fear, will have to wait, and perhaps he might get a game in the 5th odi with sachin rested, coz that game will probably be a practice match for the coming T20

we r one allrounder away from a perfect team,so jadejan irfan need to play both games.we can rest zak in 4th n praveen in 5th game.irfan needs to be given the new ball as for jadeja,ojha will have to make way.tough on him after his performance in last game,but we need an allrounder n he isnt the answer

Reagrding the team for the remaining ODI's..its really tough to give everybody a game without hurting a f3ew egos. Realistically speaking the only ones who could/should be made to sit out are the ones who have cemented their places in the side.. They are: Sachin Sehwag Gambhir Yuvraj Dhoni Zak Ishant Praveen and Ojha(with this squad,atm) Who are the players that can/need to be given a rest? I would say one from Sehwag/Gambhir OR Sachin. This spot will most definitely go to Rohit.My money would be on the former option. Yuvraj and Dhoni are definite starters imo.Form the base of the middle order. If Balaji has to get a game the only one whom he could replace is Zak(i'm still against this, because he too is a similar bowler to Sharma but he did some bowling in the Ranji semis and finals while Sharma cooled his heels off). Praveen,Raina and Yusuf Pathan again themselves are part of the youngsters' group so don't see them getting rested.They have performed well so far and hence they will be made to take up even more responsibiilty from now onwards. So that leaves the final spot up for grabs between Ojha and Jadeja.Ojaha is the better bowler and Jadeja the better bat.So it really depends on the combination.If we have Sehwag playing we could play Jadeja etc.. Also if we want to have Jadeja and Ojha playing..we'll have to go in with 2 pacers which i somehow doubt.. I must say i really don't see all the reserves getting a game.Atleast not both the games. edit:totally forgot about Irfan..he should be ahead of Balaji.So i'm afraid i don't see Bala getting a game at all.

I am not sure any player in the team actually needs rest at this moment. We didn’t play a day of international cricket since the End of the England tour in mid Dec. That’s almost a month and half of rest, except for those who played in the Ranji semis and finals The main concern is to make sure none of our pacers pick up any freak injury ahead of the Kiwi tour. So, Zak is almost sure to be rested for Irfan, while Rohit is a certainty to come in for one of the batsman. I doubt if either of Sachin or Gambhir would want rest because they’d like some runs under their belt. So, the choice is between Sehwag, Yuvraj and Raina. My guess is that it will be Yuvraj. For the 5th ODI, Ravi Jadeja is sure to play in the eleven, instead of either Ojha or Yusuf Pathan.