Tait hamstrung again

Feed

A hamstring injury to strike weapon Shaun Tait has compounded Australia's woes as it bids to come back from a two-nil deficit to retain the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy. More... Tait hamstrung again 07/02/2009 7:36 AM Andrew Wu A hamstring injury to strike weapon Shaun Tait has compounded Australia's woes as it bids to come back from a two-nil deficit to retain the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy. Tait has been sent home to Adelaide after suffering a reoccurrence of a hamstring injury. This time, the speedster has injured a tendon in his left hamstring and could be out for the rest of the series, which continues in Sydney on Sunday and finishes in Brisbane next Friday. Ryan Harris, who made his one-day international debut earlier this summer, heads the list of contenders to replace Tait. Stand-in captain Michael Clarke, however, declared himself fit after suffering a nasty blow to the big toe on his left foot while batting. The injury required a hole to be cut in Clarke's left boot but did not stop him from fielding or bowling. He will have scans on Saturday. "I'm very confident that it will be fine," Clarke said. With skipper Ricky Ponting being rested, Australia can ill-afford to lose Clarke, who top-scored with 98 in a man-of-the-match effort in Friday night's six-wicket loss to New Zealand. Clarke faces a huge task in Sydney on Sunday to turn around the fortunes of his inexperienced team and keep alive the five-match series. "We're in a position where we've got a few new guys coming in," he said. "They're trying to get their confidence in international cricket." "I think we've got a great squad, we just need to produce it out on the park." After being on the receiving end of so many drubbings from Australia, New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori refused to write off the home side. "I think any team's that losing games then people question things," he said. "I still look at the Australian side with a lot of awe. I've played against them a lot and lost a lot of games against them. I know they're a team that will bounce back." While denying his team was coming of age, Vettori said the Black Caps were starting to play with more belief. "We're starting to get a feel of how it is to win," he said. "There's good confidence in the team, we're just hoping that we can capitalise on that." "We haven't put together a complete performance yet. If we can aspire to that then hopefully we can win the series." "I still believe it's the toughest test of an international cricketer to come over here and try and win."