What's up with Balaji's action?

I was watching some old clips of Balaji from the Indian tour of Pak in 2004 and his action seemed more fluid with acceptable pace (granted he was not that quick to begin with), about low 130s. When I say him in the 5th ODI, his action seems drastically changed. He seems to jump up and down a few times before ambling up to deliver a more front on action. Gone is the more fluid run-up. I am wondering who the heck made him change to this ridiculous run-up and action? How can he hope to be a threat at the international level with this? I am surprised he was even that successful in the domestic circuit. His pace has dropped to 120s now. How did he get selected for the NZ tour?

I'm not sure about the run up, but the action has been made front on because he had a mixed action (where the top and bottom half point in different directions, causing a twist and subsequent stress on the back). This is likely to have resulted in the loss of pace. It is likely that he runs in slower because he is not fully comfortable in climbing into this action whilst running in at full speed.