'Kill cricket, create terrorists,' warns Younis

Younis Khan has appealed to cricket's administrators to save the game in Pakistan, or risk pushing future generations into the clutches of terrorists. The Pakistan captain fears that an extended boycott by touring teams could lead to a dramatic decline in interest and participation in cricket among the nation's youth. That, in turn, could invite corrupting influences to fill the void that might otherwise have been occupied by sport, Younis argued. "Our future as a nation is in our youngsters' hands," Younis told Cricinfo. "Sport helps to make good human beings. If the sport is not there, the children can do silly things. We have to be very careful about that. Nobody wants to see children going down a bad path and finding themselves involved with bombs and things like that. We all must do something to stop that happening. "Maybe in the future we will be alone [as a cricketing nation] and that would be very sad, especially for the youngsters. When I was a boy, I loved watching Imran Khan, Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram playing against great teams from overseas. It is because of them - seeing them play - that I also played the game. But what if no one comes to Pakistan? How will the youngsters know about the game? What will they do? "I appeal for all the bosses and the ICC not let cricket die here. They must think about all the factors, including what will become of the youngsters of Pakistan. It would be very easy right now for the ICC and the bosses to say there will be no cricket in Pakistan. But the future will not be good if cricket is taken away from my country." Younis, and his entire team, remain shocked and saddened at the attack on the Sri Lankan team and ICC officials in the shadows of the Gaddafi Stadium. He was just six days removed from completing a career-best innings of 313 - the third-highest total recorded by a Pakistani batsman in the team's 57-year history - and had been buoyant at the prospect of again locking horns with Sri Lanka on a more sporting Lahore pitch. But in 30 terrifying minutes on Tuesday, everything changed. The attack on the Sri Lankan and ICC buses, which left eight security and transportation personnel dead, will almost certainly ensure a blanket boycott by touring teams for the foreseeable future, and force the Pakistani team into a nomadic existence. Younis expressed concern that, should Pakistan be denied the opportunity of hosting matches in the long-term, players could abandon the national team in search of career opportunities in Indian Twenty20 leagues or county cricket. "I have seen a lot in my career," he said. "At the last World Cup, Bob Woolmer died and that was a terrible thing. Then, just after I had been made the captain, we have this shocking attack. This is a very bad time in Pakistan. It feels that every day we go backwards, not forwards. We have not experienced anything like this before. "If something is not done quickly, maybe everyone goes to the IPL, ICL or county cricket. I hope that does not happen. It is up to the ICC and the bosses from around the world to make sure that cricket is not lost in Pakistan because of a couple of mad people. It is not the sportsmen's fault. "I met with the Sri Lankan team before they flew home and had dinner with them. They were very sad about what was happening to cricket. Cricket is suffering. Sport is one of the only things that brings countries closer and now, because of a few idiots - people who use guns and bombs are not human - no one might come here and we could be all alone." Younis pledged his loyalty to the Pakistan team for the entirety of his career, but admitted to sadness at the prospect of leading his country in neutral venues - possibly England, which has emerged as a potential host on account of a large ex-pat Pakistani community. "I will stand by this team," he said. "I love my team and my nation. I have played the last ten years for Pakistan, and I probably have another three or four to go. I want to give those years to the Pakistan team. "I would love to play Australia in Pakistan, but that is difficult. It will be a new experience for me as captain leading my team in a home game against Australia in England. I will look at it two ways - I will be sad because my home series is in England, but also excited to play on the good pitches of England against a very good Australian team. "The Pakistani nation loves sports, and especially cricket. The crowds are big everywhere. They love coming to see all the great teams from England, Australia, India, Sri Lanka. The problem had already started with Australia and India not playing here, but now it is much worse, and we don't know if anyone will come here to play us." ----- There is no way any country will be touring Pakistan. Kinda sucks, but they have only themselves to blame

I have to say that cricinfo put a little sensationalist twist in the way the title was phrased While in general sports are a good way to keep youth occupied and away from anti-social activities- in Pakistan's case nothing will work till they accept facts and try to resolve their problems rather than keep yelling "Islam this, Muslim that" and staying preoccupied with criticism of India.

I think he makes a lot of sense. Rare breed he sure is in the land of pure.
Not really. Terrorism against India by Pakis was at its peak in the 90s (when cricket was at its peak in Pakistan). Its only now that the monsters have turned against their creators. It has nothing to do with cricket. Yound boys are not given a choice between AK 47 and a cricket bat. They are given a choice between following the words of a murderer and kill the infidels or kill the ones who support the infidels.
Nobody wants to see children going down a bad path and finding themselves involved with bombs and things like that.
Man, this says it all...in other countries, people would say drugs or the wrong influence or crime or gambling...but in Pakistan it is BOMBS!!! Or things like that. What a revealing statement!

Yeah whatever Younis. Pakistan hosts it's first test in over a year against Sri Lanka and hardly ANYBODY turned up to watch in the stadium. Even your own fans don't give a crap about watching the team play after almost a year of no test cricket because in case you haven't realized you've got a bigger problem in your hands since the terrorists have already killed cricket in Pak long before any of this recent nonsense happened.

Does he means to say he would have become a terrorist if not for cricket? If Pakistan don't play, terrorists are created If Pakistan do play, terrorists kill cricketers Looks like you're screwed either way, YK
:hysterical:
Does he means to say he would have become a terrorist if not for cricket? If Pakistan don't play, terrorists are created If Pakistan do play, terrorists kill cricketers Looks like you're screwed either way, YK
B-> Blackmailing.
He meant it indirectly, but no surprise a site controlled by Bhartis made a mess of a heading to amuse Indian readers.
We are very amused by you clowns across the border. The only thing is that you have the nasty clown - funny clown flip...very tragic-comic.
He meant it indirectly' date=' but no surprise a site controlled by Bhartis made a mess of a heading to amuse Indian readers.[/quote']:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Again, some one else is at fault for your built-in lack of everything.

It almost sounds as if there are only two careers to choose from in Pakistan, cricket or terrorism. I'm sure it isn't that bad. I don't quite know how but Pakistan should do something drastic to change around things. It may not happen overnight but lest for the future generation at least they need to have proper governance and work towards economic growth. Otherwise it will end up like Iraq or Afgan if it carries on the way it is right now. Truth to be told a hapless Pakistan is a receipe for disaster for the rest of the world considering they have nuclear arms. It will self destruct and will also destruct few other good nations with it. That is certainly not good for the rest of the world.