Women Cricket World Cup 2009

Word just through. Mithali Raj will replace Rahul Dravid in the Indian Test team. A spokesman said: "Although almost anyone could make more runs than Rahul, these days, it's not the main reason we picked her. She just looks so much better"

Is the Indian match coming on Star cricket tv channel? The Pakistan- England match is coming on Sky Sports btw. The English team have the top ranked battter and bowler on their teams , S.C. Taylor and Guha respectively. Taylor is just awesome,her game is quite solid. The innings she played against India showed what a good player she is. She could get an IPL contract I reckon :giggle:

Whats with the bizarre standard? We made only 137 but SL made just 102 and the other day we got pak for 50 something. I looked up Mythilli raj and she averages 47 in almost 100 innings, yet we can only manage low scores? Is mythilli the Bradman of women’s cricket or these scores are just lower than normal ?

White Ferns continue fine form New Zealand confirmed themselves as Women’s World Cup Group A winners, demolishing winless South Africa - who go into a seventh place play-off. More... White Ferns continue fine form 12 March 2009 New Zealand confirmed themselves as Group A winners in the women’s World Cup, demolishing winless South Africa - who go into a seventh place play-off - by 199 runs. Sara McGlashan (88 not out) and Amy Satterthwaite (73) helped the White Ferns recover from four for two to post 250 for five from their 50 overs at the Bradman Oval in Bowral. Seamer Suzie Bates and off-spinner Aimee Mason claimed four wickets each to skittle the Proteas for 51 in 22.1 overs. Only Cri-zelda Brits (25) made double figures. Mason, reflecting on her career-best figures, said: “I wouldn’t say it was the best I have ever bowled but it was one of those days when everything comes off. You have to take it when it comes as it is not like that every day. “We are really pleased with how we did today as we wanted to get to the Super Six stage with a bang. The team is on a real high and a lot of our supporters are over as well and it was a great atmosphere at the ground and awesome to take all of those wickets.” Victory for New Zealand, who carry maximum points through to the Super Sixes, meant hosts Australia and West Indies automatically progressed to the next stage. Australia, who lost their opener to New Zealand, confirmed their return to form with a 47-run triumph over the Windies at the Drummoyne Oval in Sydney. Forties from Shelley Nitschke, Jodie Fields and Alex Blackwell set up a total of 211 for seven. Economical bowling then saw West Indies fall short despite Deandra Dottin’s 51. The result means Australia take two points through to the Super Sixes while their opponents take none. Australia vice-captain Blackwell said: “There are expectations for the number one ranked team to beat lesser-ranked teams, but it’s been very positive to see how teams have stepped us against us. I actually think West Indies and South Africa have had two good games against us. “We do need to work on the some things, which we are definitely doing to improve each game.” England’s eight-wicket mauling of Pakistan, thanks largely to off-spinner Laura Marsh’s 5-15, sees Charlotte Edwards’ side go through as Group B winners, taking maximum points with them. Marsh, the 22-year-old from Kent who was later adjudged player-of-the-match, enthused: “I am pleased with my performance as it’s always nice for the spinners to take wickets in ODIs. It was good that we bowled Pakistan out for a low total and the batters were able to knock off the runs comfortably. “The ball wasn’t turning much so I concentrated to bowl as straight as possible and tried to bring the slip fielder into play. I wasn’t aware that it was the fifth best bowling performance in a World Cup until someone told me after the presentation. I am definitely pleased with this, also because it came in a match that we won.” Pakistan progress, albeit with no points carried forward, thanks to India’s 35-run triumph against Sri Lanka - who face South Africa in Saturday’s wooden spoon decider. An unbeaten 75 from Mithali Raj enabled India to post 137 for seven and seamer Amita Sharma’s 3-19 helped dismiss Sri Lanka in 44.2 overs at the Bankstown Oval in Sydney. Raj, who struck one boundary in 120 balls, said: “It came at the right time. We did struggle in those initial overs when we were four down for 38 runs. So there was a lot of pressure. We tried to get as many runs as we could in those 50 overs. “We are very relieved that we won this very close match. It’s still not going to be easy for us in the Super Six stage because we have tough sides like Australia and New Zealand, but I think we should play good cricket in the forthcoming three matches. “I think our only concern would be our batting. It has really let us down against England and even today where we collapsed quite early.” India captain Jhulan Goswami added: “We are happy to get the win, but I’m not so happy with our batting. “A score of 137 is very low, but our bowlers bowled superbly and stuck to the basics and I’m very happy with that. “It’s important for us to play good cricket in the Super Six stage because each and every match is very important.” India carry forward two points to the Super Six stage, which begins on Saturday, where the sides will face the qualifiers from the other group. Super Six fixtures and seventh place play-off: March 14: South Africa v Sri Lanka, seventh place play-off, North Sydney No.2 March 14: Australia v India, North Sydney Oval March 14: New Zealand v England, Bankstown March 14: West Indies v Pakistan, Drummoyne March 16: Australia v Pakistan, Bankstown March 17: India v New Zealand, North Sydney Oval March 17: England v West Indies, Drummoyne March 19: Australia v England, North Sydney Oval March 19: India v West Indies, Bankstown March 19: New Zealand v Pakistan, Drummoyne

Mithali leads India to World Cup Super Stage Mithali Raj stood tall amid the ruins as India edged out Sri Lanka by 35 runs to book a place in the Super Six stage of the ICC Women's WC. More... Mithali leads India to World Cup Super Stage Agencies Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 1537 hrs IST Sydney : Mithali Raj stood tall amid the ruins as India edged out Sri Lanka by 35 runs to book a place in the Super Six stage of the ICC Women's World Cup cricket tournament in Sydney on Thursday. Opting to bat first in the Group B match at the Bankstown Oval, India slumped to 78 for seven before an unbeaten 59-run stand for the seventh wicket between former captain Mithali (75) and incumbent Jhulan Goswami (24) guided the side to 137 for seven, a total that looked far from imposing. Fortunately for them, Sri Lankan batters did even worse as Amita Sharma (3/19), Rumeli Dhar (2/10) and Gouher Sultana (2/16) shone with the ball to skittle out the islanders for 102 in 44.2 overs. India's second victory did earn them a place in the group stage but their batters looked far from convincing on Thursday. India had a disastrous start to their innings and by the sixth over, they had lost their two top-order batters to slump to 11 for two. Mithali, who had contributed 59 out of 169 against England, came to India's rescue once again and the fact that she hit just one four in her unbeaten 120-ball knock speaks volumes of her grit when wickets kept tumbling at the other end. Apart from Mithali and Jhulan, only Anagha Deshpande (17) managed a double digit score. Jhulan played a brisk unbeaten 27-ball 24 to push the score. Chasing a rather low target, Sri Lanka got off to a sedate start with openers Dedunu Silva (21) and Chamari Polgampola (12) adding 37 runs before Priyanka Roy drew first blood in the 19th over removing Silva. Three overs later, Polgampola joined Silva in the pavilion after Amita had trapped her leg before wicket. The two quick dismissals unhinged the Lankans and the islanders succumbed to a batting collapse. Eshani Kaushalya (20) tried her best but it was too late by then and the Indian bowlers ran through the Lankan middle and lower order, skittling them out inside 45 overs. India play hosts Australia in their first Super Six match at the same venue on Saturday.