Confidence of pacers has been shattered: McCullum

Mamu

HAMILTON: New Zealand vice-captain Brendon McCullum on Tuesday admitted that the confidence of the Kiwi fast bowlers has been shattered by the ruthless Indian batsmen in the ongoing One-day series. "I suppose from their perspective it would have knocked their confidence a little bit. It could happen when you go around the park like we did in the last couple of games. It is not a nice thing to happen for fast bowlers," said McCullum. "It is a skill issue of not being able to execute their plans. Or it maybe a mental issue with being apprehensive and almost trying too hard not to get hurt rather than just trying to grab the ball and do as well as you can. "We just have to try and execute the plans that were set out for us. So far, in the last couple of games we haven't quite been exact enough with our execution. "The mental approach against such a strong batting line-up can make you a bit apprehensive so we need to try and relax and implement the plans that we've got in place because we know they do work," he added. However, McCullum felt the Indian bowlers will be wary of the depth in the Blackcaps batting line-up. "We managed to put them under pressure. We saw some pretty big hitting in the end as well. Obviously, they will be a little wary, knowing that the wicket is good and the ground is pretty small. "They will have to be exact in their plans. If we can get some momentum with the bat and put them under some pressure then there's no reason why we can't post a big score and possibly win," he said. Will Tendulkar's absence make any difference to New Zealand? "I am sure it does, but they have still got Sehwag, Dhoni, Yuvraj and Raina. So they still have a pretty strong batting line-up. We saw how well Sachin played the other day. To know that he will not be in the side will be a lift for our bowlers," he said. The 27-year-old opener was hopeful that skipper Daniel Vettori's return would bolster the New Zealand attack. "We will welcome him back with open arms, especially me. It will be great to have him back in the fold. His experience and skill will be handy," McCullum said. McCullum said all-rounder Jacob Oram, who returned to the team after an injury lay-off, was also coming on well. "Jacob's progressing really well. It is just a matter of being a little bit cautious with his body. He is obviously gone through a lot of niggles and injuries over the last few seasons. So we just have to be a little cautious with that."

McCullum is too generous. I'm really worried about NZ batting lineup. I thought Ryder was hit-and-go but he is more than that. McCullum, we all know can finish a match by himself. And then, they have got their best batsman - Ross Taylor who can graft as well as hit some big ones. Then, the newcomer Guptill looks real classy, and Jacob Oram is a wounded Kiwi ready to attack. Frankly, this batting lineup gives me nightmares. :nervous:

McCullum is too generous. I'm really worried about NZ batting lineup. I thought Ryder was hit-and-go but he is more than that. McCullum, we all know can finish a match by himself. And then, they have got their best batsman - Ross Taylor who can graft as well as hit some big ones. Then, the newcomer Guptill looks real classy, and Jacob Oram is a wounded Kiwi ready to attack. Frankly, this batting lineup gives me nightmares. :nervous:
in the absence of sachin our batting looks fragile; return of rohit sharma is never a good sign also yousuf pathan hasnt spent much time on wickets few quick wickets and we would be in trouble. Kiwi have power players and return of vettori is a big plus, NZ are fav here :nervous::nervous:
in the absence of sachin our batting looks fragile; return of rohit sharma is never a good sign also yousuf pathan hasnt spent much time on wickets few quick wickets and we would be in trouble. Kiwi have power players and return of vettori is a big plus' date=' NZ are fav here :nervous::nervous:[/quote'] These are the kind of times I wish I was born Kiwi...
I have nightmares ever since Jesse Ryder and McCullum hit their stand of 165 runs last match. :nervous::nervous::nervous: