Retain Suresh Raina for the test matches

spectre

This kid has played fantastically so far and truly deserves to be part of the test squad He may not be in Final XI, but atleast being part of test squad will give more experience I truly believe Raina has the talent and temperament to shine @ the test level too

I already posted about this - reposting here: http://indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=609724&postcount=57

Test Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, V.V.S. Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Murali Vijay, Amit Mishra, L. Balaji, Dhawal Kulkarni, Dinesh Karthik.
Should Suresh Raina stay with the squad for NZ Test series as a backup (reserve in case if any injury to the main 11 during Test series). I know we have M. Vijay as backup opener But who is in the NZ test squad as backup middle or lower middle order batsman? KKD!?? No one - so given that Raina already has got the measure of NZ weather and bowlers to some extent, maybe we can retain him till Test series is over?

don't understand why people keep pointing to his supposed weakness to short pitch stuff sure, he got flustered by Flintoff once (i think) and a couple more dismissals to short balls But that doesn't make him a failure when playing short balls. I also recollect him hitting many sixes by pulling or hooking shot pitched stuff give him a chance in test matches against good short pitch bowling over a period of time before labeling him

No way, Raina has still another 2-3 years (atleast), before he can make his way into the test squad, assuming a) RD plays for another year b) VVS plays for another 15-18 months c) Yuvraj does not go horribly out of form. Right now, there are simply no vacant spots available in the Indian test line-up. If there is one, it should go in the order to Badri, Rahane and Pujara. So, thats 5 more players that Raina has to overcome if we wants a place in the test line-up. Quite a challenging task.

The thing that is most impressive about him is his driving technique(of both front and backfoot). It comes as no surprise that he has a lesser percentage of caught behind dismissals compared to others. @Spectre, yesh his ability to handle short pitched stuff is blown out of proportion..i still remember that the hook shot that went out of the Wankhade out staduim in the IPL semifinal. I really believe Raina isn't far away from the Test call up.We can keep going on about how the top performers in Ranji should get a look in ahead of him(and perhaps some of the names being mentioned thoroughly deserve it better than him) but we have all seen the way BCCI and our selectors work..they will give preference to a guy who does well in ODI cricket over a guy like Pujara.Infact this has been a regular state of affairs..else Badri wouldn't have had to wait till 28 to cme into reckoning.In India a FC avg of 50+ doesn't guarantee success at the International level.A classic example in recent times being Rohit Sharma making into the Test squad for SL in 2008(this was before his FC stats improved, mind you)!! A few more knocks like the one in the 1st 20-20 against NZ where he alone got a good score should do the trick.I'm not tellling that its entirely fair on the likes of Pujara...but i sure won't complain if it does happen.

yes,Raina has played truly well but lets not get carried away.these are ODIs n he has come in death overs.u expect the ball to be full n raina has played that brilliantly as always. but Tests will be different,he will be bombarded with short balls n i dont think he has the temperament yet to play that. that said,i want him to actually stay in the team for the future.he is definitely the one for the future

No he doesnt. He's a odi type of player. We'll have to wait a few years before putting him in tests. As of now' date=' there are more players who deserve to be in the test side, for example, kohli, badri, pujara, etc[/quote'] :two_thumbs_up: