sachin vs A-rod

novpj

Hi guys Do you think today's (21st century) Sachin is cricket's equivalent of A-rod i.e. much hyped, considered the best player, somehow his average looks good but when it comes to perform in big games he never shows up. Other similarities: big expectations, mentally weak collapses under pressure eg., SA 3rd test 2nd innings what was that. Can we trade him to Bangladesh for Mashrafe Mortaza and Tamim Iqbal? :-)

Re: sachin vs A-rod

Hi guys Do you think today's (21st century) Sachin is cricket's equivalent of A-rod i.e. much hyped, considered the best player, somehow his average looks good but when it comes to perform in big games he never shows up. Other similarities: big expectations, mentally weak collapses under pressure eg., SA 3rd test 2nd innings what was that. Can we trade him to Bangladesh for Mashrafe Mortaza and Tamim Iqbal? :-)
I agree. Both players choke in big games, and produced in meaningless games. Tendu should go. I am a redsox fan, so I like the fact A-rod is a choker. On the other hand, Redsox, as a team, are chokers. :)

Re: sachin vs A-rod You guys are riddiculous, what "big" games has Tendu choked in, he's just got that tag...how about that innings against pakistan in the last world cup or the finals of the hero cup in 1998, everyone has forgotten his accomplishments. He alone won us that cup beating Australia by himself. When did he fail? In the Finals? We gave up 360! are you guys out of your mind, there was no way we were going to reach that target. Or in this last match against sri lanka...who else played? Nobody! So stop your hating.

Re: sachin vs A-rod

How long are we going to keep rhapsodizing about 1998 or the 2003 World Cup? That's all ages ago. SRT should have retired with the shoulder injury. He's been a stone around the Indian team's neck for a long time now.
Tendu should get 15000 ODI runs, and retire after achieving the feat. His time is over, and time to start fresh.

Re: sachin vs A-rod The obsession with individual records has been a major impediment to the progress and accomplishments of India as a team. Personally I will enjoy hearing that India won such-and-such tournament against stiff opposition, in preferene to hearing that some Indian individual holds some superlative record that lasts only a little hwile. In fact, the longer India goes without accomplishments as a team, the more embarrassing it is to have someone among Indians claiming to have the maximum number of centuries or runs.

Re: sachin vs A-rod Well Sachin played and performed under incrdible pressure for more than a decade.We got so used to him making runs that his failures started standing out more.I dont believe this crap of Sachin never performing under pressure.What has happened is that the guy has played continously for so long that he is burned out...he is tired mentally and the razor sharp technique has faltered.The irony is that Sachin is the victim of his own success...he doesent want to believe that he is no longer the batsman that he used to be.He needs a break to sort out the mess that he's put himself into.I hope the selectors have the guts to drop him for his own good.

Re: sachin vs A-rod Of course we can't deny SRT's contributions in the past-- the issue in focus is his performance of late. Whatever be the reason for his underperformance, the sooner there is collective will to drop him for a while at least, the better it is for India as a team, going forward. The establishment should evaluate the composition of the core team after every tournament/series. Define performance criteria, and at the end of the series, make it a policy to drop a certain number of players (for the next series) not meeting those criteria. Axe to be dealt to a minimum of 2 bowlers and two batsmen. Give younger, newly inducted players two series/tournaments as the window for performance evaluation; give senior players (with more than, say, 12 years of steady place in the team) only one series/tournament. Bring the dropped ones back into reckoning on the basis of proven improvement or performance potential as may be demostrated in national tournaments. Keep a policy of continual amputation of underperformance. The team will do well to evolve for the long term. The corporate morons who pamper "heroes" with rewards for individual performance ( centuries, wickets, boudaries, sixers, whatever), should qualify their offers with the contribution of the performance towards the team's victory. Even if you score 200 runs or get 5 wickets, and India loses by 1 run, "no soup for you".