Govt vs IPL

Desi Cartman

Govt vs IPL  

1. 1.

• Security of cricketers
    • They care ONLY about elections and dont want to take risk
    • They care about security since its their duty

The Indian Premier League was thrown into turmoil today when the government refused to accept the revised schedule submitted by the organisers on security grounds. State police chiefs told a high-level meeting chaired by Home Minister P Chidambaram it would be difficult to provide adequate security for the IPL during parliamentary elections.
why is the govt behaving this way. IMO they either want people to be focussed on elections or they want to make sure that there is no major blunder in their state around elections as that could mean a lot of lost votes for the ruling parties ... or maybe they genuinely care for cricketers lives :giggle: What do you think ?

I bet not many of you have seen elections in Bihar/UP. Even with all the paramilitary forces there is widespread rigging. Matter of fact it is done in most other states although maybe not as bad. Makes total sense not to distract Security forces during the election time.

I dont know how elections are conducted in India these days but Im sure they can still work out a way by not playing for 3-4 days in the city where polling is scheduled ....
I am pretty sure paramilitary forces anyway dont give a damn about protecting cricketers. It is not their job. They are trained to fight for the country, against terrorists, natural calamities etc etc. Why would they bother to protect Dhoni for Deccan Chargers?? It would be one thing if this was World cup but this is a tamasha 20/20. On one hand BCCI has the galls to say, Indian team is Team BCCI and NOT Team India. And then they also demand security? That too at their own leisure and discretion?? Bunch of effers.

I bet not many of you have seen elections in Bihar/UP. Even with all the paramilitary forces there is widespread rigging. Matter of fact it is done in most other states although maybe not as bad. Makes total sense not to distract Security forces during the election time.
Exactly! When there was a discussion earlier on this topic I was surprised to read a lot of naive responses like IPL can make sure there are no matches in the city of the election for a certain time before and after etc. There is a reason polling in India is such a long drawn process - in states like UP and Bihar it is held in 4-5 stages because there is not enough security to hold it in one stage. Forces travel in bulk from one place to another as the polling areas change, security forces are borrowed from neighbouring states etc. etc. It is a huge huge challenge to make sure 600 million people can cast their votes. It is also the perfect time when terrorists look to strike. To channel even partial resources towards IPL security is just unadulterated nonsense.

Exactly! When there was a discussion earlier on this topic I was surprised to read a lot of naive responses like IPL can make sure there are no matches in the city of the election for a certain time before and after etc. There is a reason polling in India is such a long drawn process - in states like UP and Bihar it is held in 4-5 stages because there is not enough security to hold it in one stage. Forces travel in bulk from one place to another as the polling areas change, security forces are borrowed from neighbouring states etc. etc. It is a huge huge challenge to make sure 600 million people can cast their votes. It is also the perfect time when terrorists look to strike. To channel even partial resources towards IPL security is just unadulterated nonsense.
I dont understand why is the IPL reluctant to move dates around? Everything doesnt equate to money. Security of Players is paramount. So what if they lose some money this year. They had a wind fall last year, just go ahead and rescehdule it and get it over with.

I think to say the govt. is against the IPL would not be an accurate portrayal of the situation. Why would they be? Its just that their resources have to be allocated to something vastly more important, so they've asked the IPL organizers to change the schedule.

I agree, saala -- not like BCCI is going to become a beggar like our neighbor if the IPL is not held a single year. Just shelve it or post pone it. They make more than enough money -- even otherwise. And when ever they play T20 again -- I am sure it will be a hit. So I have no idea why Modi is hell-bent on it beng held in April and no-other time.

I dont understand why is the IPL reluctant to move dates around? Everything doesnt equate to money. Security of Players is paramount. So what if they lose some money this year. They had a wind fall last year, just go ahead and rescehdule it and get it over with.
For Sharad Pawar, Lalit Modi, and BCCI goons they do.