The Indian Elections Thread

The Outsider

The Indian Elections Thread  

1. 1.

• BJP/NDA
    • Congress/UPA
    • Third Front
    • Undecided

Innocent of what? You seriously think he is a terrorist or a murderer, the two crimes he has been booked for? He made s stupid comment that any muslim who threatens a hindu should have his hand cut. It is an uncalled for comment which should be condemned, but not something for which you get booked under a anti-terrorism act or for murder. That's absurd. BTW, did we catch any of the "real" terrorists who bombed the parliament or IISC?
He does not warrant to be condemned under the anti terrorism act, but it is about the principle of BJP, they try hard to portray themselves as the secular one, so if they let it go (i am not talking about prison time or whatever) and let him run under their symbol, it means that they really dont care for their own secular agenda.

Stop the drama. I didn't defend his actions. Questioning whether booking him and putting him in jail for those words makes any sense or not.
So according to you, inciting communal hatred and tension is not a crime then?

So according to you' date=' inciting communal hatred and tension is not a crime then?[/quote'] This is a dangerous precedent to put someone in jail cause they made provocative statements. We are a democracy afterall and there is supposedly a concept of freedom of speech. If we are going to have Varun Gandhi in jail then I also want all the Mullahs who have ever made any anti-india or anti-hindu speech in jail as well. Quote from a site about the infamous Imam Bukhari:
The Imam Bukhari has threatened that if the key criminal in the Ahmedabad bomb blast Abul Bashir was not released, they would create more dangerous situation in the country than that prevailed at the time of partition in 1947.
You think he was put in jail for his remarks?

This is a dangerous precedent to put someone in jail cause they made provocative statements. We are a democracy afterall and there is supposedly a concept of freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech does not imply freedom to say whatever you want. Just like how it is not acceptable for me or you to go infront of our neighbor's house and threaten to kill him, its not O.K to instigate communal hatred based on religion. On the contrary, allowing such acts to go unnoticed is what will create a dangerous precedent, especially in a country as diverse as ours
If we are going to have Varun Gandhi in jail then I also want all the Mullahs who have ever made any anti-india or anti-hindu speech in jail as well. Quote from a site about the infamous Imam Bukhari: You think he was put in jail for his remarks?
If his remarks were unconstitutional, try him too. I never said dont do it. But to say 'one criminal got away, so other criminal should not be punished too' does not make any sense.

So let's get back to my original question: Should he be booked under a anti-terrorism act or for murder when guys like Imam Bukhari run scott free making anti-india hate speeches all the time? I am not defending what he said. I am questioning the validity of booking him under these sections there by equating him to a terrorist or a murderer. There has to be a difference between making a stupid tit-for-tat comment vs actually committing acts of terrorism or muder, don't you think?

So let's get back to my original question: Should he be booked under a anti-terrorism act or for murder when guys like Imam Bukhari run scott free making anti-india hate speeches all the time? I am not defending what he said. I am questioning the validity of booking him under these sections there by equating him to a terrorist or a murderer. There has to be a difference between making a stupid tit-for-tat comment vs actually committing acts of terrorism or muder, don't you think?
Well, if the anti-terrorism act has provisions to book people for flagrant and inflammatory speeches, he should be booked under it. Btw, you need to exactly quote what the Imam said here and not just paraphrase it. If what he said was also inflammatory and flagrant, he too should be booked under the same provisions.

I am not a fan of Imam Bukhari or follow his exact quotes. I have heard a lot about him and his hate speeches from several people, so searched the net to find an example here. Back to Varun Gandhi, another interesting thing I read.

Senior Supreme Court lawyer K T S Tulsi said " it seems he will have to stay in jail may be even for a year or more because the government is clearly worried about the implications that it could have in the rest of the country.
A govt which doesn't have a clue on how to handle the terrorists wants to keep this guy in Jail. God bless the Hindus in India is all I have to say.

I am not a fan of Imam Bukhari or follow his exact quotes. I have heard a lot about him and his hate speeches from several people' date=' so searched the net to find an example here.[/quote'] Because you actually compared Varun Gandhi to the Imam in the first place, its incumbent upon to quote him and not just casually paraphrase what he said because the devil is in the detail, especially when it comes to trial in the court. If you dont know what the Imam said or are not interested in knowing it, you shouldnt use him as an example in the first place.
Back to Varun Gandhi, another interesting thing I read. A govt which doesn't have a clue on how to handle the terrorists wants to keep this guy in Jail. God bless the Hindus in India is all I have to say.
Again, you are saying 'Dont do anything here, because we have not done anything anywhere else'. Flawed and partisan logic reasoning once more.

Innocent of what? You seriously think he is a terrorist or a murderer, the two crimes he has been booked for? He made s stupid comment that any muslim who threatens a hindu should have his hand cut. It is an uncalled for comment which should be condemned, but not something for which you get booked under a anti-terrorism act or for murder. That's absurd. BTW, did we catch any of the "real" terrorists who bombed the parliament or IISC?
In essence you are having problems with one of the few institutions that work in India. To cut a long story short you would much rather see Indian Election Commission work the same way as Indian Judicial system works than put people who make blunders behind bars. There are 2 key differences between Varun Gandhi's case and that of every Terrorist, Dick(which they are) and (Buk)Hari: a) Varun Gandhi is caught on cam. This is not a case of he-said-she-said. The objection that one can have is that the CD may not be authentic but if it is authentic then it is for everyone to view. Quite unlike Bukhari whose statement no-one, including most likely yourself, has never been seen first hand. b) Varun Gandhi has been chided by EC. EC, as was mentioned earlier, is one of those organization that really does work. It is not EC's job to catch those who attacked Parliament. You have an issue with Parliament attack please bring PIL in Supreme Court, why would EC do that for you??? xxx

I honestly dont see much difference between the options .. I agree that probable ministers from BJP & Cong would be more educated and if I have to then I will vote for either of these parties. I believe that we need to elect president/PM .. like in the US ... we cant afford to have elections more than once in at least 3 years ... Of course it would mean massive changes but I for one do not want to vote for fronts and parties .. I wanna vote for a smart person to lead India & be accountable for his promises and actions .. PS: if third front wins then we may have Mayawati as PM , Lalu as Home minister , Paswan as foreign minister , Rabri devi as education minister and Amar Singh as defense minister :ohmy:

I honestly dont see much difference between the options .. I agree that probable ministers from BJP & Cong would be more educated and if I have to then I will vote for either of these parties. I believe that we need to elect president/PM .. like in the US ... we cant afford to have elections more than once in at least 3 years ... Of course it would mean massive changes but I for one do not want to vote for fronts and parties .. I wanna vote for a smart person to lead India & be accountable for his promises and actions .. PS: if third front wins then we may have Mayawati as PM , Lalu as Home minister , Paswan as foreign minister , Rabri devi as education minister and Amar Singh as defense minister :ohmy:
how are you plannig to vote if you are in Australia?.

In essence you are having problems with one of the few institutions that work in India. To cut a long story short you would much rather see Indian Election Commission work the same way as Indian Judicial system works than put people who make blunders behind bars. There are 2 key differences between Varun Gandhi's case and that of every Terrorist, Dick(which they are) and (Buk)Hari: a) Varun Gandhi is caught on cam. This is not a case of he-said-she-said. The objection that one can have is that the CD may not be authentic but if it is authentic then it is for everyone to view. Quite unlike Bukhari whose statement no-one, including most likely yourself, has never been seen first hand. b) Varun Gandhi has been chided by EC. EC, as was mentioned earlier, is one of those organization that really does work. It is not EC's job to catch those who attacked Parliament. You have an issue with Parliament attack please bring PIL in Supreme Court, why would EC do that for you??? xxx
Did the EC ask BJP to withdraw his candidature? Yes Did the EC bring charges under NSA and that of murder? No
"...Election Commission directs CEO Uttar Pradesh to file a case under the Indian Penal Code and Representation of People's Act against Varun Gandhi for violation of the model code of conduct," said an Election Commission statement in New Delhi.
Do the charges fit the comments he uttered? No Can the same charges be made against a Muslim for a similar act? Absolutely not. Let me repeat. I am not defending his statements. But the punishment should fit the crime. Not a potential 1 year Jail sentence for a stupid remark.

Did the EC ask BJP to withdraw his candidature? Yes Did the EC bring charges under NSA and that of murder? No Do the charges fit the comments he uttered? No Can the same charges be made against a Muslim for a similar act? Absolutely not. Let me repeat. I am not defending his statements. But the punishment should fit the crime. Not a potential 1 year Jail sentence for a stupid remark.
Not a jail sentence, it is preventive detention without the possibility of bail or a trial. But not a whimper out of those human rights people who cried a river about POTA, on this flagrant misuse of NSA.

M J Akbar writes why mumbling middle class hates Mayawati: she doesn't wear designer sarees like sonia. she doesn't talk in suave english and doesn't give a rat's***** about these air-conditioned room poltican pundits of english media.. Corruption is an excuse heck as Aadavani is now raising the swiss account and the numbers involved tells even million mayawati can't match congress in corruption.. Mayawati over dumb Sonia anyday

let us prove the crime first.. by the way exactly for this sort of abuse of nsa states have not been warm towards fbi style body............lurker is living in his own cocoon.. election commissin's credibility is at all time low..never in history of india induction of any election commissioner lead to 200 MPs submitting written protest .. then there was recommendation of CEC...... Only harm Ec cud do a party wasthrough public opinion even there congress hasdefanged the commission by employing emergency days henchman......... AS I have mentioned it's sonia/modi spat all over again where commission didn;t fele it necessary to serve notice to sonia until modi respnded in kind. same here election commision is sleeping over Imran Kidwai's religious incitement and media is playing along

btw are u guys wondering why manmohan singh is chickening out of public debate with aadvani........ so far excuses i have heard are following (1) there is no tradition of that in india.. ( well there is always room for imporvement (2)Aadavani is scared of Manmohan :-)) don't ask why somone who is asking for debate is scared of somone who is chickening out

The hate campaign being run in the name of elections has turned from bad to worse in Andhra Pradesh which is going in for simultaneous Assembly and Lok Sabha polls in the state. At the receiving end is the TDP fire-brand and former actress Roja, who is a Telugu Desam nominee for Chandragiri Assembly constituency in Chittoor district. After verbal duels on television channels which often bordered on plain abuse, an MMS purportedly showing the veteran actress and a stranger in a compromising position started doing the rounds. The five-minute clip is being circulated over mobile phones not in one city or town but the entire state. However, the video appears to be 'doctored' in a bid to damage the image of the actress-turned-politician, who had recently hit headlines for her virulent attack on Chjiranjeevi-led Praja Rajyam Party and the Congress, reports The New Indian Express in its March 30 Hyderabad edition. this is how low congress can stoop