World Cup Qualifiers 2010

Shane

i bet england are going to **** this up.
U can say that, but Ukraine arnt the same side anymore, Rebrov will be missed, they have the likes of Shevchenko and Voronin to boast of, but cant see past an experienced England side putting up a clinical show. However, the English have tend to outdo themselves in the past, does the Euro 08 qualifiers ring a bell :winky:

Damn, couldnt couldnt catch up with last nites games, however here are the final scores, Turkey 1 - 2 Spain Alonso, Senturk got on the scoresheet before Reira clinched the winner in the 90th min. England 2 - 1 Ukraine Schevchenko, Crouch scored only for JT to win it for the Pommies :(( Wales 0 - 2 Germany Ballack opened the scoring, whereas an OG from Wales helped Germany to seal this one

Some interesting ones in yesterday's matches. Bolivia beat Argentina 6-1. The altitude of La Paz at it again. Podolski slaps Ballack in the match against Wales. Italy held 1-1 by Ireland. Pazzini, sent off in less than four minutes, the quickest dismissal in the history of the Italian national team. First win for Brazil in this qualifiers.

Some interesting ones in yesterday's matches. Bolivia beat Argentina 6-1. The altitude of La Paz at it again. Podolski slaps Ballack in the match against Wales. Italy held 1-1 by Ireland. Pazzini, sent off in less than four minutes, the quickest dismissal in the history of the Italian national team. First win for Brazil in this qualifiers.
Lulz, nice updates sridev, Maradona's job might be in some jepoardy now

Didn't want to create a separate thread so posting here the UEFA play off draw for 2010 WC. Portugal v. Bosnia-Herzegovina Republic of Ireland v. France Greece v. Ukraine Russia v. Slovenia Portugal, for all the difficulties they had in the group stage have another toughie against the Bosnians who are "running" the Bundesliga at the moment. It would be nice to see the Bosnians on the biggest stage but not at the expense of Ronaldo. Watch out for Dzeko, he is in top form both for club and country.Honestly, I feel sorry for BIH, they had to face Spain in the 2005 play-off and now Portugal. Prediction: Portugal should be able to pull this one off. Russia gave one hella fight to the Germans in the group phase. If it was not for a few questionably decisions from the refree in their Moscow tie against the Germans, they would have won the match and the group. They deserve to go through, and they should fingers crossed, as their free flowing football is a sight to behold. Greece v. UKR and IRL v. FRA are two mouth waterring ties that one shouldn't miss. If England had salvaged a draw against Ukraine, Croatia would have gone through to the play-off but as it stands, Ukraine are through and will face Greece. If Greece had played the Croats, I would have given Bilic's side an edge but against Ukraine there isn't much to choose between the two sides honestly. However, the second leg is played in Ukraine and that will give them a slight advantage. Now to the most anticipated tie of them all. I would love to see the Irish going through simply 'cause I like their "never say die" attitude but it is going to be difficult. They have to play out of their socks at Dublin...they have to win and shouldn't concede any goals. If they somehow manage to carry a two goal lead to Paris(return leg) then anything is possible.

Top post Don. Nice preview- I didnt understand the outrage over the new seeding rules (largely because I didnt actually read about them :giggle:) but read Given and other Irish players slating FIFA. Think they would not have played France under old rules Thatll be a coker as you say. France have been dissapointing in qualifying. I cant believe they didn t sack Domenech after the Euros, he is an idiot. A pretty big one at that. Almost as bad as Maradona in the managing stakes. With all the attacking quality France have its hard to see Ireland springing a surprise. They will be very well organised under Trap and they have got the bit of quality- Keane, McGeady etc that can make a diff. Think Domenech has finally figured out how to play though- France changed their formation in the last qualif they played. Normally its a 4-2-3-1, but they switiched to 4-4-2. That worked for them much better. The striker Gignac is excellent- will move to La Liga or the EPL sooner rather than later And of course theres Malouda, Ribery on the wings, Henry and Anelka up front. The likes of Gourcouff, Benzema (who's pretty ordinary for France though) who can come on. Solid at the back too, great options- Gallas, Abidal, Evra, Clichy, Sagna. Theres the right back Fanni who's very handy. I do hope Ronaldo and co make it there. Queiroz is another manager who's really underperformed- a ridiculous number of call ups to the squad over his time at the helm. Plus Portugal didnt really have a proper striker until Lleidson now. Thats always been their prob. Bosnia can cause problems- Dzeko as you say is supposed to be a top striker, theres a player called Misimovic (or something) who also plays for Wolfsburg a creative type midf and he's supposed to be very good too. Again youd hope Ronaldo, Deco, Simao and co will have a bit much.

The seeding rules are there to ensure that the big powers don't miss out. I think the rules weren't in place before the WC qualifiers kicked off but now that there was a chance of the power houses like France and Portugal taking on each other, FIFA had brought back the rules. Ribery will miss both the ties due to injury but France are too strong to miss out. But I do feel Ireland has an outside chance of making it especially if Shay Given has one of "his" nights at Paris. Trapa is a fantastic manager, I would love to see him on the world stage one final time. Queiroz is a good asst manager/ coach but not a good manager. He is of Terry Venables mode, he wants to keep every player happy...that's why he had a rough time at Bernabeu and now with the Portuguese national team. But then the talent, depth and experience of the Portuguese should see them through just like it did for the Argentines.