Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad

http://deccan.com/Sports/Sports.asp?#Greg%20was%20unhappy%20with%20Cup%20squad Greg was unhappy with Cup squad Bangalore, March 26: Now that the damage has been done it can be told. Greg Chappell was unhappy with the selection of the World Cup squad. With their being an increasing demand for his head after the debacle in Port of Spain (long touted as India?s favourite venue in the Caribbean), Chappell need not be saved. It is up to the Board of Control for Cricket in India to renew his contract. The chances are it might. There has to be more than one scapegoat so that public anger is assuaged. On February 16, after an article of mine appeared in this paper Greg sent me a SMS, which I am reproducing for the sake of the public. "Excellent article. Almost spot on. Even to the last selection meeting. I fought for youth. The senior players fought against it and the chairman went with them out of fear of media, if youth didn?t perform. Kartik will be a very good batsman and by the way is a potential leader. You are very right about Yuvi. Regards, Greg." It was the morning of the ODI against Sri Lanka in Visakhapatnam. The time the SMS was received ? 08.16.31. For those who did not read the article, it would be helpful for their comprehension of the situation in a context. As far as Dinesh Kartik is concerned, I had hinted he should not be taken as a second wicketkeeper, implying he be should taken as a batsman and called as such. Hence Greg?s explanation. About Yuvraj Singh I had written, "For heaven?s sake, let nobody consider Yuvraj Singh as a future captain. "He might or might not develop to be the country?s best future batsman, but let it be known that the possibility of his not being fully fit during the World Cup cannot be discounted, It is a risk that is being taken. "The problem with Yuvraj is that he believes he is a star when he is only a rising one." I spoke with Greg immediately after receiving the SMS and he had other things to say. "Suresh Raina is a must. But he was not wanted." There were statements which cannot be revealed even at this stage. The fact is Greg sounded very disappointed and probably even disillusioned. The elevation of Sachin Tendulkar as vice-captain seemed to be the handiwork of people wanting to undermine Rahul Dravid?s authority. How can anyone forget that it was the same man who abdicated the captaincy in 2000 and paved the way for the entry of Sourav Ganguly. Has it anything to do with the fact that the president of the BCCI and the chairman of the selection committee are from Tendulkar?s city? Many questions can be asked and it is important that these are asked now. Greg himself feels a "thorough investigation" is called for and hinted that there are issues in Indian cricket which run deeper. It is logical that any panel constituted to make the investigation, necessarily has to be independent. So there is the truth of how it went all very wrong, even before the Indian squad departed for the World Cup in the Caribbean.

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad Fcuk Chappell, god what a pansy. This is part of coaching in India you gora, you have to deal with teh politics and make the most out of what you have. He clearly failed to adjust and has made absolutley no impact. IF you look at our batting line-up it is amazing, where did we fail? We failed in the mental department...in the ability of batsmen to assuage pressure and show some fight. That's what I thought Chappell was hired for, to thrust some audacity into the indian cricket team and that's when Chappell failed. I don't wanna hear his bull shit excuses...oh I didn't get the team i wanted, i didn't get htis, i didn't get that...winners win, period. I don't want to hear any bloody excuses. We played like crap period. There is no excuse for the performances put up by india, and chappell has to go, he has contributed nought. I'm not blaming him, but i will say his inclusion into the scheme of tihngs has certainly not changed anything at all.

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad i have been crying hoarse that we r gonna get screwed for changing tactics a month before the world cup.... More/Dravid/Greg were trying out something and whether it would have worked in the world cup or not is still left to imagination..... but BAM!!! the retarded Vengsarkar had to come in and make all the media-savvy moves.... he was making short-term fixes for flat-tracks at the cost of our world cup campaign.... if he aint fired, i am gonna stop following indian cricket.....

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad Right words. Wrong time. This utterances should have been made 6-12 months before, not now. By the way I am really surprised how he did not mention the word "fitness" one single time. If there was one reason why India got kicked out it was that - fitness. While every team worth its salt that looks like a candidate for WC, Australia/SAF/NZ/SL, look fit and hungry for the cup, Indian team looked like a Dad's army hungry for..well food. If there is one lesson to be learnt here it is fitness. Shape up or ship out. I hate to say that I have been saying this forever but well ... damn%%% f#$%& a$$h0l@ m0the4effer we should have been playing in Super 8 :alright: :alright:

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad chappel knows that he will be fired...but at least for the love of the game...he must reveal the dirty politics of senior team members..and BCCI.,. i read an article in TOI that either Zaheer./Agarkar abused Sreesanth ( Fu)K off ) when he offered water bottles to one of the two players at boundary line... there are a lot of problems in the TEAM... Yuvi will not be a good captain.,...he is a selfish player.... he is arrogant about himself... Karthik can be a good choice...but i don't think he will earn the respect of the team members...which have bloated egos... i can see that teams future is very bleak... i can sense that sehwag, zaheer, Yuvi and bhajji willl form a gang of sorts... we need fresh..new faces...who are hungry for success.. we need P chawla...Manoj Tiwary...some more promising players...

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad

This utterances should have been made 6-12 months before, not now. By the way I am really surprised how he did not mention the word "fitness" one single time.
Lurks..... The retard from Mumbai, usually called Colonel, started changing the whole team and direction only in the last few months...

Lurks..... The retard from Mumbai, usually called Colonel, started changing the whole team and direction only in the last few months...
Agreed to that Gator. It is surprising how little heat Colonel is getting considering he single handedly changed the complexion of the Indian team in the past few months. As much as Chapell failed in his job, and failed he did, so did Dileep Vengsarkar as well(not to mention Sharad Pawar and the likes). I hope Colonel eats some humble pie and first produces some result before starting to show-off his arse and come across smelling as a truck load of cow-dung. Better still he resigns(or is kicked out). xxxx

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad why just junior players, looks like even the seniors of the team were only looking to secure their places. there were reports of rift between Dravid and Ganguly after the BD game, Dravid said Ganguly kept playing defensively even after being told more than once to accelerate, Gangs said he was told but it was very late in the innings. :roll:

why just junior players' date=' looks like even the seniors of the team were only looking to secure their places. there were reports of rift between Dravid and Ganguly after the BD game, Dravid said Ganguly kept playing defensively even after being told more than once to accelerate, Gangs said he was told but it was very late in the innings. :roll:[/quote'] I knew it. We were discussing exactly the same thing on this board. Ganguly simply gave away that match, probably intentionally.

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad there is not doubt that we lost to BD because of out batting failure... Ganguly can not be pardoned for his pathetic batting display against BD... see the amount of criticism Kallis is coping with for his batting against AUS.. one day game is all about runs and SR...and ganguly sucked big time... as a batsman in form....he should have gone all guns blazing...but he showed his true colours... Sehwag, Gandungly :hic: Dhoni must be dropped from ODI side...

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad so.... in a similar vein, do u guys think, Ganguly could have purposely had his revenge against Dravid..... He had a lot riding in his hands, being an opener..... he played slow and acted like the bowling waas too good and pitch very difficult... this could have eaten into the other batters' minds.... as well as the pressure to up the run rate while Mr. Ganguly was battling to save the test-match at a terrific SR of 50.....

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad hmm I don't quite agree with you guys. can't compare with Kallis for example there was no one who played innings like Smith or AB, while after losing the top 4 we were always uner pressure. Gangs was out in the 44th over as the 6th wicket, may be he was looking to bat on till the end.

Re: Chappal was unhappy with Cup squad shails, whether u losee wickets or not, how do u justify an opener who bats fro 44 overs at a SR of 50..... AGAINST BANGLADESH.... do u honestly not think, that could be ONE of the reasons why we would have lost wickets consistently.... him refusing singles, puts pressure on new batters to get boundaries cos of dipping run-rate and no singles...