Cricket dying sport, needs T20 for survival: Brian Lara

SachDan

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) - Legendary West Indies cricketer Brian Lara has endorsed the Twenty20 concept but wants batsmen to develop a more attractive approach to cricket's shortest form. The record holder for the highest scores in Test and first-class cricket, Lara said he hoped Twenty20 could reach a point where true batsmanship replaced the current cavalier approach. "I hope that we do see a little bit of artistry because right now it's a lot of 'wam-bam thank you mam'," the former West Indies captain pointed out. "I believe that at some point in time people are going to understand that there are tactical ways of playing it and then you are going to see the true talent come out." Lara was speaking at the ninth TSTT Sport Foundation's Sport for Thought symposium at Cascadia Hotel in St Ann's Monday. The genius left-hander, who quit international cricket suddenly in 2007, said he believed the emergence of Twenty20 would act as an impetus for a sport that was on the decline. "Cricket is a dying sport and I believe that Twenty20 is going to be beneficial for many reasons." he said. "This new game has brought a different spectator. Not necessarily the right ones I think; the ones that just want to go to the game and don't even know what happens. But at the end of the day, spectators and television is what make sport and I'm very happy and very welcoming of the Twenty20 game." http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20090407T170000-0500_149041_OBS_BRIAN_LARA_WANTS_MORE_ARTISTRY_IN_TWENTY___BATTING_.asp

"I hope that we do see a little bit of artistry because right now it's a lot of 'wam-bam thank you mam'," the former West Indies captain pointed out.
T20 won't help that.
This new game has brought a different spectator. Not necessarily the right ones I think;
That part by Lara is right.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) - Legendary West Indies cricketer Brian Lara has endorsed the Twenty20 concept but wants batsmen to develop a more attractive approach to cricket's shortest form. The record holder for the highest scores in Test and first-class cricket, Lara said he hoped Twenty20 could reach a point where true batsmanship replaced the current cavalier approach. "I hope that we do see a little bit of artistry because right now it's a lot of 'wam-bam thank you mam'," the former West Indies captain pointed out. "I believe that at some point in time people are going to understand that there are tactical ways of playing it and then you are going to see the true talent come out." Lara was speaking at the ninth TSTT Sport Foundation's Sport for Thought symposium at Cascadia Hotel in St Ann's Monday. The genius left-hander, who quit international cricket suddenly in 2007, said he believed the emergence of Twenty20 would act as an impetus for a sport that was on the decline. "Cricket is a dying sport and I believe that Twenty20 is going to be beneficial for many reasons." he said. "This new game has brought a different spectator. Not necessarily the right ones I think; the ones that just want to go to the game and don't even know what happens. But at the end of the day, spectators and television is what make sport and I'm very happy and very welcoming of the Twenty20 game." http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20090407T170000-0500_149041_OBS_BRIAN_LARA_WANTS_MORE_ARTISTRY_IN_TWENTY___BATTING_.asp
Good that guys like Lara realize this and hopefully ICC will realize the importance of T20... its coz of some "Wannnnabe Purist Cricket fans" that Cricket is considred dull and unexciting sport... With T20, it will spread out to masses and young generation.... in 21st century, its just stupid to waste 8 x 5= 40 hours just to see 1 match where most probaly result will be a draw....
Good that guys like Lara realize this and hopefully ICC will realize the importance of T20... its coz of some "Wannnnabe Purist Cricket fans" that Cricket is considred dull and unexciting sport... With T20, it will spread out to masses and young generation.... in 21st century, its just stupid to waste 8 x 5= 40 hours just to see 1 match where most probaly result will be a draw....
So please enlighten me. What percentage of the test matches in the 21st century have been draws? And its true what you say, all these "Wannnnabe Purists" are such losers. And whats more, they include most of the international cricketers like the boring, medium pace, non swinging trundler called Shane Bond who said "I can give up all the ODIs that I played to play one test match". Btw, I really love watching him in the ICL where he's supposed to be (and playing the right format of cricket) instead of in the New Zealand squad bowling to the likes of Sachin, Sehwag, Laxman, etc, etc for 8 x 5 = 40 hours. (ugh...) A true test of a batsman lies in whether he can claim the DLF Maximum Sixes award. A true test of a bowler lies in the four overs and whether he can claim a CITI Moment of Success and not get hit for the most DLFs in the game and possible pick up his gender confirmation in the form of the purple cap. I see the light now. And its all about the razmatazzZZZZ!!! Muscular 58 metre sixes, yummm..
So please enlighten me. What percentage of the test matches in the 21st century have been draws? And its true what you say, all these "Wannnnabe Purists" are such losers. And whats more, they include most of the international cricketers like the boring, medium pace, non swinging trundler called Shane Bond who said "I can give up all the ODIs that I played to play one test match". Btw, I really love watching him in the ICL where he's supposed to be (and playing the right format of cricket) instead of in the New Zealand squad bowling to the likes of Sachin, Sehwag, Laxman, etc, etc for 8 x 5 = 40 hours. (ugh...) A true test of a batsman lies in whether he can claim the DLF Maximum Sixes award. A true test of a bowler lies in the four overs and whether he can claim a CITI Moment of Success and not get hit for the most DLFs in the game and possible pick up his gender confirmation in the form of the purple cap. I see the light now. And its all about the razmatazzZZZZ!!! Muscular 58 metre sixes, yummm..
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
A true test of a batsman lies in whether he can claim the DLF Maximum Sixes award. A true test of a bowler lies in the four overs and whether he can claim a CITI Moment of Success and not get hit for the most DLFs in the game and possible pick up his gender confirmation in the form of the purple cap. I see the light now. And its all about the razmatazzZZZZ!!! Muscular 58 metre sixes, yummm..
Excellent. :two_thumbs_up: :hatsoff:
Your understanding of the game of cricket is mind numbing! :hatsoff:
That doesn't merit a comment on someone who has a certified druggie as his avatar and wonders why Yuvraj doesn't deserve as long a rope as Dravid.
Yuvi is a genuine matchwinner because he doesn't know how to defend - which explains why he gets caught behind the wicket only 98/100 times. The other 2 times, he gets bowled.
Well there sure are some facts to it. T20 will always be mass crowd favorite than one days and tests. This is the only format which will reach new boundaries and expand cricket.
But what about (the late) Pakistan? Will the taliban ban only T20 and ODI or even tests? Will batsmen carry Ak-56's instead of wooden bats (man, they can hit some sixers...shoot the sh*it out of the bowler straight out of the stadium). And bowlers? Contact explosives grenades? It becomes a difficult game doesn't it....explosions, blood...no more run out...it's bled out...bowled is blown... caught is bought and lbw is sbw (sharia before wicket)... What a different game you will play?
... blah blaah blaaah blaaaah the fact is even people like u dont watch Test matches when India is bowling .... Following Test matches doesnt mean just watching Sachin or Bhajji bat, you have to follow Indias bowling too.. imagine watchin India bowling in a Test match on patta pitches of Lahore, Kanpur .... Neahhhhh, i rather watch RGV Sholay.. I rather see players DLF Maximum Sixes award or CITI Moment of Success than watching Dravid making 101runs of 355 balls to ensure a draw against Bangladesh on Patta pitches in Dhaka...
But what about (the late) Pakistan? Will the taliban ban only T20 and ODI or even tests? Will batsmen carry Ak-56's instead of wooden bats (man, they can hit some sixers...shoot the sh*it out of the bowler straight out of the stadium). And bowlers? Contact explosives grenades? It becomes a difficult game doesn't it....explosions, blood...no more run out...it's bled out...bowled is blown... caught is bought and lbw is sbw (sharia before wicket)... What a different game you will play?
huh...u ok dude.... the guy just said something about Cricket and you bring this political non-sense in the Cricket section...there is seperate section for all this hatredness
... blah blaah blaaah blaaaah the fact is even people like u dont watch Test matches when India is bowling .... Following Test matches doesnt mean just watching Sachin or Bhajji bat, you have to follow Indias bowling too.. imagine watchin India bowling in a Test match on patta pitches of Lahore, Kanpur .... Neahhhhh, i rather watch RGV Sholay.. I rather see players DLF Maximum Sixes award or CITI Moment of Success than watching Dravid making 101runs of 355 balls to ensure a draw against Bangladesh on Patta pitches in Dhaka...
Until you get rid of your avatar nobody's gonna take you seriously, in fact show me a pak fan who has that avatar too. You know what, even when you do get rid of your avatar, nobody's gonna take you seriously if you keep spewing up this kind of garbage.
I was talking about cricket here, so please don't destroy this thread by your nonsense garbage. When I talk about your country I never bring politics into it. I do mock your cricket team once in a while but all in jokes and within limits, I don't talk about RAW, Kashmir, conspiracies theories, don't ridicule your country etc etc. This is cricket forum so keep it to cricket, and if you want to b*rk as you have done in other threads too after all my posts, then go join the b*rking animals outside.
blah blaah blaaah blaaaah
Exactly.
the fact is even people like u dont watch Test matches when India is bowling .... Following Test matches doesnt mean just watching Sachin or Bhajji bat, you have to follow Indias bowling too..
WHAT? Damn, how did you find out? I'm telling you its not my fault but my Zvezda-54s stop recieving proper signals when India starts bowling, it really isnt my fault.
more blah blaah blaaah blaaaah
...I cant say much more after you found out that I dont watch Indias bowling. That hurt me deeply. The guilt is overwhelming and I've got to come out of the closet and confess my admirqation towards the purple cap and Lalit Modi's gracious demenour. I'l stop here because I dont want to show my hatredness towards boring test matches.