Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath

Chappell?s ?processes? contradicted Indian approach Javagal Srinath March 28, 2007 Whether Greg Chappell should continue as coach or not is the hottest topic of discussion these days, amid speculation that the Australian?s contract may not be renewed, in the wake of India?s disastrous showing in the World Cup. But then, what is good for Greg? Should he, given an opportunity, continue and try to implement his ?processes,? or should he leave in a dignified manner? If he quits, the next question would be, who should replace Greg? India?s premature exit has opened up a Pandora?s Box. The most intriguing part would be the BCCI?s assessment of Greg?s contribution to Indian cricket, and what kind of damage he has possibly inflicted over the past 18 months. A coach always has a say after the tour and, obviously, Greg will have a grouse against non-performers. This time, it could be the seniors in the team. No matter what he puts in his report, I am afraid it could turn out to be a feeble justification of his own stand, unless he puts his neck on the line and accepts responsibility. Let us not forget that Greg was given a team that had enough credibility. It was almost the same team that reached the final in 2003 and also nearly beat Australia Down Under. What could have possibly gone wrong with Chappell?s way? What did a low-profile man like John Wright do that he couldn?t? It is important to remember that our nation still doesn?t encourage sports as a career; it remains more of an entertainment. Neither do we have a sporting culture. No parent risks allowing his/her children to pursue a career in sports at the cost of academics. The point I am trying to make is that sports in India is plagued by a lot of insecurities when treated as a profession, unlike in the west. Most foreign coaches fail to understand this aspect of Indian sports. Here, words like accountability, professionalism and process sound too heavy, leave alone De Bono?s Six-Hat methods. It is difficult for most players, who quit education midway, to assimilate all this. We are from a culture where best results are achieved by fine-tuning the emotions and sentiments of an individual. It is possible for a mainstream professional to apply his sporting experiences, but the reverse may not be as successful. John Wright maintained a personal rapport with every player. There were fights during his time too but they were mostly emotional outbursts. By the end of the day, he would occupy the seat next to you on the bus back to base camp. With Greg, a difference could mean a long and a lonely flight back home. Let?s recall Ganguly?s fiasco. No doubt he deserved to be dropped then, but Greg crossed limits by saying he was playing only for money. That kind of attitude is not conducive for a healthy relationship. Extreme professionalism doesn?t work in India. Chappell?s ways only instilled fear in players, and he fanned it with his own insecurity.

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath

It is important to remember that our nation still doesn?t encourage sports as a career; it remains more of an entertainment. Neither do we have a sporting culture. No parent risks allowing his/her children to pursue a career in sports at the cost of academics. The point I am trying to make is that sports in India is plagued by a lot of insecurities when treated as a profession, unlike in the west. Most foreign coaches fail to understand this aspect of Indian sports. Here, words like accountability, professionalism and process sound too heavy, leave alone De Bono?s Six-Hat methods. It is difficult for most players, who quit education midway, to assimilate all this. We are from a culture where best results are achieved by fine-tuning the emotions and sentiments of an individual. It is possible for a mainstream professional to apply his sporting experiences, but the reverse may not be as successful.
Excellent points. Have never seen Srinath write such a brilliant article.

its just an excuse All this BS about adopting to culture is an excuse to shiftthe blame away from players who are not professional and committed. We need accountability - I would take a young team with Chappell as a coach rather than a team full of egos for whom spencing time in off season to get better is as painful as pulling teeth. Srinath himself was an under achiever and no wonder supports this view of "fine tuning emotions".

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Sri And now this game shall start. Coach shall players, players shall form groups and blame Selectors and coach, experts shall pick on coach/selector/players while Selectors shall give two hoots about everyone. And amidst all these Indian fan shall keep twiddling his thumb. Much as I respect Srinath as a player I must say he comes across at times as quite easy going fella refusing to see cricket for what it is - a cut throad game where only the toughest shall survive. Sample this - "Here, words like accountability, professionalism and process sound too heavy, leave alone De Bono?s Six-Hat methods". That is nothing short of shameful coming from a player who donned Indian colours not too long back. Basically what Srinath is saying is that Indian players can NOT be accountable or professional. Definitely not in the same league as other countries. Baloney of the highest order! xxxx

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath Lurker, I think what Sri is saying that these guys don't understand such big words. They need something like "Maa ki kasam kha ki aaj 100 marega" etc. They are small town boys who know how to wield a bat or ball. Bombarding them with all this is only going to clutter their clear thinking minds.

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath Lurker Sri does not say that the Indian players do not have to be professional. He just said that chappels methods of getting to the players were wrong/not working/had no chance of workin.

Lurker' date=' I think what Sri is saying that these guys don't understand such big words. They need something like "Maa ki kasam kha ki aaj 100 marega" etc. They are small town boys who know how to wield a bat or ball. Bombarding them with all this is only going to clutter their clear thinking minds.[/quote'] That would be true if we had 11 Sehwags Gambo. As it is most players - Dravid, SRT, Ganguly, Kumble etc etc- are as well read as everyone else. If Australia can use all those high words Indian players should as well. If a Ponting can understand all those words why cant Dravid? Or Ganguly? Or SRT? Sorry I do not buy this. :eew:

Lurker Sri does not say that the Indian players do not have to be professional. He just said that chappels methods of getting to the players were wrong/not working/had no chance of workin.
He does not specify why it doesnt work though is it? At best his reasoning is that Indian players do not listen to things like Professionalism or Modern Processes. That line of thinking shows the players in bad light rather than the coach. Why should a coach cajole these crorepati-maa-ke-dulaare?? These(players) should be kicked in the balls and made to learn not treated with kids gloves or anything. xxx

Lurker' date=' I think what Sri is saying that these guys don't understand such big words. They need something like "Maa ki kasam kha ki aaj 100 marega" etc. They are small town boys who know how to wield a bat or ball. Bombarding them with all this is only going to clutter their clear thinking minds.[/quote'] Exactly! Munaf/Sehwag etc are simple minded village boys. They couldnt even relate to Greggy's method of coaching. Greg C would have prolly been a great coach for a team like South Africa, where the cricketers and the system may be more receptive and ready for his style of coaching. He started off well with our team, made some changes, risking his job, that required BALLS! However over a period of time, Greggy only alienated more and more members of the team. He failed in the very key aspect of coaching subcontinental teams: Earning the player's trust & good will. Eventually coaches are judged based on the results they deliver. In Greggy's case, the results were too mediocre for fans to put up with his antics beyond a point.

Exactly! Munaf/Sehwag etc are simple minded village boys. They couldnt even relate to Greggy's method of coaching.
Bumper, That being the case only an Indian shall be made the coach of the National Team. Clearly that would be a grave move as in my opinion the BEST man should get the job, he being Indian or non-Indian doesnt matter(to me). Both the players you mention- Munaf or Sehwag- are hardly being held responsible for India's debacle today. The people that are held reponsible are the likes of Dravid/SRT/Gangs all of which should need no cajoling. Specifically about Sehwag/Munaf now. Sehwag's form suffered not because of GC but because of the way he plays. Inspite of his poor run GC(and/or Dravid) kept giving him chances. Same with Munaf. Like it or not but he has been one or the few decent performers in recent past. Whether he would have done better under a Venkatesh Prasad as against GC is open to conjencture but what is true is that Munaf's performance has been fairly decent, as a bowler that is. As a batsman and fielder he truly sucks. Again I should not come across as defending GC. I am more of the school that Indians players are pansies with frail mindset who refuse to do the hardwork but are quite happy to pass the buck. xxxx

Best article to come out of the Indian media re our early exit. Thanks for posting it DC. PS - Ravi, did you ghost write this for your mate? :hic:
No Srinath doesn't rely on ghost writers Gambo, he writes his own. I did email him about Greg Chappell and his methods. I'm sure you already know he drops by every now and then on this website to get an Indian cricket fan's perspective.

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath Quite simply, in a cricket field players make a difference when it comes to any process. The skills and talents of those who participate in a process is critical to it?s success. You may have a coach with excellent ideas and perspectives but the performance of the player on the field dictates the game and turns the strategies and vision into reality. Greg Chappell was considered as the coach of India because of his very famous ?The Chappell?s Way? and his broad knowledge about the game but unfortunately he failed to successfully implement his vision. Who?s to blame? Well the players do agree that the preparations where excellent prior to World Cup it?s just that when the time came to produce results they failed. Both Chappell and Players have to take a collective responsibility for the failure not just Chappell! That being said I strongly feel that it?s time for Greg Chappell to move on and for India to find another coach. A change in personnel would always bring fresh new ideas and thoughts to the table. Bring an Indian coach for a change, let the players feel homely after a gap and lets see whether he mints gold!

Lurker Sri does not say that the Indian players do not have to be professional. He just said that chappels methods of getting to the players were wrong/not working/had no chance of workin.
He does not specify why it doesnt work though is it? At best his reasoning is that Indian players do not listen to things like Professionalism or Modern Processes. That line of thinking shows the players in bad light rather than the coach. Why should a coach cajole these crorepati-maa-ke-dulaare?? These(players) should be kicked in the balls and made to learn not treated with kids gloves or anything. xxx
Whether you like it or not it is a fact that 90% of the Indian players react differently. Perhaps it is the culture, education or whatever I do not know. Simply the modus operandi of Chappell does not work with the Indian players. It is not to say Wright wasn't a good professional but he knew man management. Chappell has failed in that despite being a technically good coach. That is the point Srinath is making in his article.

Whether you like it or not it is a fact that 90% of the Indian players react differently. Perhaps it is the culture' date=' education or whatever I do not know. Simply the modus operandi of Chappell does not work with the Indian players. It is not to say Wright wasn't a good professional but he knew man management. Chappell has failed in that despite being a technically good coach. That is the point Srinath is making in his article.[/quote'] Ravi, Why is that line of thinking true only for Indian cricketers? Try using that line for Indian IT people, or Doctors, or what have you. How is it that Indians are VERY Accountable, that Indians are VERY Professional or that Indians are VERY responsive to Processes? As an example of IT, any Indian IT personnel would tell you that TCS, Infosys, WIPRO etc were, and still are, the leaders in CMM or Six Sigma Processes. Certainly much ahead than their Western counterpart. So are we suggesting that Indian working class is more accountable or responsive than cricketers who may have 2789 excuses for their failure? xxxx

Whether you like it or not it is a fact that 90% of the Indian players react differently. Perhaps it is the culture' date=' education or whatever I do not know. Simply the modus operandi of Chappell does not work with the Indian players. It is not to say Wright wasn't a good professional but he knew man management. Chappell has failed in that despite being a technically good coach. That is the point Srinath is making in his article.[/quote'] Ravi, Why is that line of thinking true only for Indian cricketers? Try using that line for Indian IT people, or Doctors, or what have you. How is it that Indians are VERY Accountable, that Indians are VERY Professional or that Indians are VERY responsive to Processes? As an example of IT, any Indian IT personnel would tell you that TCS, Infosys, WIPRO etc were, and still are, the leaders in CMM or Six Sigma Processes. Certainly much ahead than their Western counterpart. So are we suggesting that Indian working class is more accountable or responsive than cricketers who may have 2789 excuses for their failure? xxxx
Lurker, I just wanted to say this lack of education among the players mightbe a contributing reason for the failure! All of them clearly didnt understand what was done or what was planned for future.

Re: Chappell?s processes contradicted Indian approach - Srinath I agree with almost everything Srinath has said Indian players may not be ready to for what GC has to offer but given the way game has changed we can no longer hide behind excuses like i dont understand GC method. One has to change with time and if you cant then i all you are left with is past glory. Every Indian who is part of the so called IT boom also comes from a background similiar to what our players come from. You see people from cities, towns and even small villages. 3 years in this industry and there attitude takes a U turn. All these so called small town guys learn to fight and not just survive but make progress. How is it different than changing a cricketers attitude ?

Lurker, I just wanted to say this lack of education among the players mightbe a contributing reason for the failure! All of them clearly didnt understand what was done or what was planned for future.
hang on what has lack of education got to do with willing to progress ? if i am a doctor i update myself with latest medical breakthroughs if i am a s/w pro i learn about new sw/domains etc if i am a fukin cricketer i need to improve my game even if it means learning something i have no clue about. its as simple as that.

It is important to remember that our nation still doesn?t encourage sports as a career; it remains more of an entertainment. Neither do we have a sporting culture. No parent risks allowing his/her children to pursue a career in sports at the cost of academics. The point I am trying to make is that sports in India is plagued by a lot of insecurities when treated as a profession, unlike in the west.
What a bunch of BS. Looks like it is a profession as far as raking in millions, but stops being a profession when we demand performance. While I agree with Sree as far as Greg's failed dictatorial approach vs Wright's more personal approach, this whole thing about enterianment vs career is all a bunch of baloney.