It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness

King

Whoever said here that Pakistan has fire in the belly and are very tough mentally. It is official the PCB confirms they lack mental toughness. Whatever happened to the meat eating tough fast bowlers and tough fighters??? http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/288153.html Captain within 30 days, central contracts suspended No foreign coach for Pakistan - Ashraf Cricinfo staff March 31, 2007 Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chairman, has announced that all central player contracts have been suspended and they will be replaced by performance-based contracts ? AFP The next Pakistan coach will be a Pakistani, and the decision is not going to be taken in the near future, Nasim Ashraf, chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), said today. Addressing the media at the PCB headquarters at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, Ashraf announced some immediate changes in the administration of Pakistani cricket, said some key decisions were on hold and promised that some were in the pipeline. Time, Ashraf said, was on Pakistan's side - their next international assignment is the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa in September, giving them enough time to regroup after the debacle in the West Indies. The immediate concern was filling the key positions of coach and captain, and both decisions are on hold. Pakistan have been without a coach since Bob Woolmer's death in Jamaica two weeks ago - Woolmer's contract was to expire anyway in June; later that day Inzamam-ul Haq announced he was giving up the captaincy. "In all probability we will certainly now look for a Pakistani coach, but it will take some time to find a suitable man," Ashraf said. On a replacement captain, he said: "We don't want to make a hasty decision, we will name the captain and vice-captain within 30 days." Some decisions announced today related directly to cricket. One has already been executed: The PCB has suspended central contracts of members of the Pakistan team, Ashraf said. "All players contracts stand suspended. We are going to introduce performance-base contracts very soon." Ashraf also had some things to say on the players themselves. No player, matter how big he is, should take his place in the Pakistan team for granted, he said. He also said he believed that Pakistan's cricketers lacked in mental toughness. "We need to work upon this aspect as this is the most important area through which most of the top teams win matches." Ashraf himself had resigned after Pakistan's successive defeats in the World Cup eliminated the 1992 winners from the ninth edition of the mega event in the Caribbean. However, Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf, who is also patron of the PCB, had rejected the resignation yesterday and asked Ashraf to continue. It was also announced that a baseball coach would be hired from the USA to improve fielding standards. "The coach will be not for three months or four months, we would hire him for at least one year", Ashraf said. Off the field, the PCB has set up a three-member Performance Evaluation Committee to look into the causes of the World Cup debacle. The committee, comprising former Test players Ijaz Butt, Salahuddin Ahmed and Salim Altaf, will submit its report within the next 30 days, Ashraf said. The report, he added, will be made public. The PCB has been without a constitution for some time now and Ashraf said the document was currently being vetted by the Attorney General and would be put in place at the earliest possible opportunity. Acknowledging that the general public sentiment was against the players, Ashraf appealed for calm. "It's not the time to panic and overreact," he said. "I know people are angry and disgusted with the performance of the national team, but let me asure you that cricket is not going to die down in this country of 160 million."

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness Someone correct me if I'm wrong but why baseball coach for fielding skills??? I don't think baseball players are great fielders, they can teach throwing skills yes but fielding??? :chin:

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness Nakal ravi bhau Aussitralia ki, they have this red sox dude called Mikey Young, they want some1 from MLB too. Rhodes cud do shit all with them, i doubt a MLB dude would.

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness

it wont matter if they get a baseball coach or not...if they couldnt learn how to field from Jonty Rhodes' date=' they wont learn from anyone.[/quote'] Is that right? Was Jonty a fielding coach for Paksitan? Never knew that. BTW how good are the grounds for grassroot or club level in Pakistan? The fielding skills are to be developed early on and not mid career. If the grounds are not conducive for diving, sliding then there is nothing any coach can really do. People don't understand fielding skills are natural and it can't be taught. Look at Monty, he works really hard on his fielding but still can't field well enough. I'm not saying they should not train at all but I suppose they should look at other aspects such as improving the agility in the players, provide decent fielding conditions at grass root levels so that the younger generation can be encouraged to understand fielding is a big part of the game. You can see a lot of young ones working hard on their batting and bowling but not fielding.

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness jonty rhodes was a fielding coach only for two weeks for god sake. They need a fielding coach like rhodes for atleast a year. And yes, baseball players are some of the best fielders in the world. In fact the margin for error is so much lower in baseball that every misfield is marked as an error against the fielder and it is a part of career stats.

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness Fiendling in cricket = higher quality than fielding in baseball. IF you wanna improve cricketer's fielding- hire n aussie coach for fielding. They are right now the best fielding unit in the world.

Fiendling in cricket = higher quality than fielding in baseball. IF you wanna improve cricketer's fielding- hire n aussie coach for fielding. They are right now the best fielding unit in the world.
No way Jose ! I follow baseball a lot and if you can't field , you are made the Designated Hitter and warm the bench. Why do you think baseball's best player David Ortiz from BoSox is a DH ?

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness Aussies hired a baseball coach for fielding. Yes, I have read that. Margin for fielding error in baseball is practically zero as a couple of fielding/throwing errors can cause a team a game as the scoring is very very low. They even track fielding error as a player stat. That said, all fielders have one large ugly glove which makes fielding easier than in cricket in some sense. But overall, fielding standard in baseball is significantly higher than in cricket and yes cricket teams can use a baseball coach (who knows about fielding of course) for fielding.

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness they should practice fielding/catching drills in winter.. subcontinetal winters are pretty good for that.. when its winter forces locals to play cricket with soft ball rather then leather ball... now doing vice-versa will have some affect. haatho ki achi maa bhen hogi agar practice karein in winter..

That said' date=' all fielders have one large ugly glove which makes fielding easier than in cricket in some sense[/quote'] and the fact that the cricket ball is much harder than the baseball and the cricket field to defend is about 3 times wider are some other things which make it harder in cricket.
Baseball is bigger in diameter than cricket ball and you have only 9 players fielding including the catcher. Also, the ball size is bigger than cricket ball although the weight is more or less than same. So , the impact is more or less the same.

Baseball is bigger in diameter than cricket ball and you have only 9 players fielding including the catcher. Also' date=' the ball size is bigger than cricket ball although the weight is more or less than same. So , the impact is more or less the same.[/quote'] To be able to catch in the slips you need fantastic reaction and bucket hands. I don't reckon the baseballers take the amount of impact the close in fielders in cricket do. I don't reckon close in fielding is a position at all in base ball.

Baseball is bigger in diameter than cricket ball and you have only 9 players fielding including the catcher. Also' date=' the ball size is bigger than cricket ball although the weight is more or less than same. So , the impact is more or less the same.[/quote'] To be able to catch in the slips you need fantastic reaction and bucket hands. I don't reckon the baseballers take the amount of impact the close in fielders in cricket do. I don't reckon close in fielding is a position at all in base ball.
Not true. You need to have excellent reflexes to field in any of these positions- first second or third base or the most important position which is shortstop. Also, a baseball player can have at the most 20 misfield per season of 160 games. A single error can cost the game and their are players selected for their fielding skills alone.

Not true. You need to have excellent reflexes to field in any of these positions- first second or third base or the most important position which is shortstop. Also, a baseball player can have at the most 20 misfield per season of 160 games. A single error can cost the game and their are players selected for their fielding skills alone.
similar position to where slip fielders stand in cricket, in baseball its considered foul when the ball goes in that area... no fielder is there..

Not true. You need to have excellent reflexes to field in any of these positions- first second or third base or the most important position which is shortstop. Also' date=' a baseball player can have at the most 20 misfield per season of 160 games. A single error can cost the game and their are players selected for their fielding skills alone.[/quote'] similar position to where slip fielders stand in cricket, in baseball its considered foul when the ball goes in that area... no fielder is there..
That exactly is what I am saying. KR you are undermining the relfex that is needed to field in slips, gully, point, sq leg, short third man, short fine leg, silly point, forward short leg, short gully and few more close in positions. Catching at slips, gully is pretty much blinding. You are waiting for the edges not a straight forward hit. In base ball you are not fielding a ball that is edged. You can never equate the catchers that are in close catching positions such as short sq leg, forward short leg or silly point for spinners in base ball. I remember Raman Lamba was killed while fielding in one such position. Has there been a fatal knock such as this in Baseball?