Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50

Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50 Vijay Tagore Tuesday, April 03, 2007 01:25 IST MUMBAI: When Board secretary Niranjan Shah said he wants Rahul Dravid retained as skipper, there is more between the lines than just a personal opinion. There are strong indications from the powers that be in the Board of Control for Cricket that its secretary?s wishes may after all be fulfiled. ?There?s no better option than Dravid as captain, but this is my personal view. I feel another youngster can be groomed under him to take over at a later stage,? an otherwise taciturn BCCI secretary told the national media on Monday. It is learnt that the beleaguered Indian skipper may eventually retain his job although a decision on this front is not expected at the two-day conclave called to discuss India?s debacle at the World Cup. There is a strong feeling among most members of the Board that Dravid should be persisted with although there is a section ? more importantly in the selection committee too ? that Sachin Tendulkar should be made captain. But it is more than likely that Dravid will retain his post despite his failure to take the team past the first round. Dravid is emerging as the front runner for want of any other player enjoying the support of the Board and the selectors. Going back to Sourav Ganguly is not considered a feasible option while Yuvraj Singh is considered far too immature just yet. Meanwhile, the future of coach Greg Chappell continues to in a limbo. Sources says it is still 50-50 with the opinion on the coach divided. Put to vote at the working committee, Chappell is unlikely to get the support of State units like Cricket Association of Bengal (you can guess why), Goa (whose official has already demanded the ouster of the coach) and Assam, Gujarat and others. But the Board may eventually form a committee after going into the report he submits on April 6. The committee ? on the lines of the review committee which was formed during the previous BCCI regime ? would eventually decide on the fate of the coach. The Board, anyway, is not compelled to take a decision on Chappell as his contract is up to April 30. Meanwhile, both Shah and Chappell dismissed the reports of the coach?s resignation. ?We?ve not heard of any unwillingness from the coach,? Shah said while Chappell told DNA: ?I deny the reports that I?ve suggested that I would resign.?

Re: Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50 yeah....Dravid should continue and Chappel should be fired.... but other than this...captaincy and coach issues...BCCI has many more serious issues to tackle... Doga ( dungarpur ) said that no indian is capable of being a cricket team coach...in an interview to aaj tak.. and we have attitude problems of indian STARS.... but i am afraid i can see no body in BCCI who is genuinely concerned about indian cricket.. unless they bring Kapil, Sreenath, Sreekanth, Pataudi, and some other well known cricketers whose credibility can not be questioned.... we will continue to see darker days in the years to come...

Re: Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50

although there is a section ? more importantly in the selection committee too ? that Sachin Tendulkar should be made captain.
Yea last time Sachin was skipper, it proved disastrous for him. His captaincy had effected his cricket and from my view Dravid should remain the skipper and as for the successor for Dravid, it shouldnt be Yuvraj at any cost.

Re: Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50 Dravid should stay because the other options are worse. Chappell should go because he refuses to take any of the responsibility. The latest is he refuses to resign and wants to continue! aFter so much zillat? STrange...

Re: Dravid set to continue, Chappell stays 50-50

Dravid should stay because the other options are worse. Chappell should go because he refuses to take any of the responsibility. The latest is he refuses to resign and wants to continue! aFter so much zillat? STrange...
Can't agree more, Chappell is spreading stories like wild fire each day. I don't reckon he will be able to land in yet another coach job soon with this kind of C.V