Row between coach and seniors looms large

King

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/03/stories/2007040304702000.htm Row between coach and seniors looms large Vijay Lokapally NEW DELHI: Indian cricket faces one of its toughest challenges in a long time. The first-round exit from the World Cup threatens to rip apart the team, with a `confrontation' between coach Greg Chappell and some of the senior players assuming ominous proportions ahead of the crucial meeting summoned by the Board, in Mumbai on April 6 and 7, to discuss the debacle. Even as the cricket administration was jolted by the text message leak aimed at making public Chappell's displeasure at the composition of the team for the World Cup, resentment has grown among the senior players and the selectors at the coach's attitude and `leaked' statements. In the firing line The seniors in Chappell's firing line are Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, V.V.S. Laxman, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh and Ajit Agarkar for their alleged role in not allowing the youngsters to grow. The players have plans to meet the senior Board officials and present their side of the picture before the Board has its meeting with the team management and former captains. The pressure is on Tendulkar to stand up on behalf of everyone for the sake of Indian cricket and put things in perspective. The seniors are likely to seek a meeting with Board president, Sharad Pawar, and apprise him of the "autocratic functioning" of Chappell. The senior players have been complaining for some time now of Chappell's policy of pitting the players against each other. Unable to make a public disclosure of their problems with the Australian, the players privately have admitted to a complete lack of communication with Chappell. Senior Board members have been appalled at the deterioration of the relations between the senior players and the coach. "He has destroyed the confidence of the team and made everyone insecure. He has been a great player but does it mean he has the right to make others (seniors) feel small?" asked a senior player. Tendulkar has not been on talking terms with the coach and most of the other players have chosen the same path. The support staff, especially Ian Fraser, has made matters worse. He earned the ire of the players to such an extent that he was asked to leave the dressing room for his attempts to ridicule them during a tense situation on the last tour of South Africa. Needless pressure On the tactical front, the players feel the unreasonable expectations ? like hitting a century every time you bat or taking five wickets in every innings ? had put them under needless pressure. "We fear approaching him. This is something we have never experienced," said a seasoned cricketer, preferring to remain anonymous. The selectors too are up in arms against Chappell's alleged text messages to a journalist. "How can he accuse anyone of not giving him the team he wanted? He has had all cooperation from us and it is not fair to say that one player not being there made the difference. Please check the record of the player he so badly wanted," remarked an angry National selection committee member. Not expected The Board had not expected the relations between the players and the coach to be so strained. The defeat against Bangladesh brought the fight out in the open before attempts were made to salvage the situation. But the team collapsed under intense pressure before the match against Sri Lanka. Said a player: "We know we played badly and let the nation down. We can well understand the emotions of the supporters but we can't wash dirty linen in public. This coach can destroy your confidence just as you are about to step out to bat in a tense situation." The Board is not willing to accept that the seniors have been resisting the entry of young talent in the Indian dressing room. "The team is picked by selectors and not senior members," said a Board member. "If I can't ensure my own selection how can I influence someone else's inclusion?" one of the senior players asked. The Board has a tough task on April 6 and 7 in Mumbai.

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large Getting a bit ugly now, I can't remember when in the history of Indian cricket did a row between a group of cricketers and the coach were this far stretched. Wonder how these guys even got along with each other. BTW the senior cricketers must be feeling the pressure now. They are being a bit proactive in presenting their opinions even before Greg Chappell does. What is the role of Rahul Dravid here though? If he tilts towards Greg Chappell will the above mentioned seniors be booted out of the team? I can't see Yuvraj Singh going on to become the captain. Tendulkar definitely will not be crowned captain and that is good news.

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large

Getting a bit ugly now, I can't remember when in the history of Indian cricket did a row between a group of cricketers and the coach were this far stretched.
There have been instances before Ravi where coach and senior players have clashed. But of course may be not to this extent, then again this is India's worse performance in 3 decades. In 80's, 90's and this millenium we have always proceeded to 2nd round(if such a round was held in the Cup that is). I vividly recall the time when Bishen Bedi was the coach. Azharuddin was the captain at the time and there were open fights between the two. Once it was decided(as per Bedi) that India would bat if they won the toss. But out goes Azhar to toss, calls it right and then decides to field. I beleive it was the same match where Graham Gooch scored a triple and so you can understand Bedi's fury. There was other time when India had fared badly on an overseas trip(was NZ or England one of the two countries) and upon asked what should be done, Bedi the coach has replied, "Well the team and the senior players should be dumped into the sea". I wonder if instead of GC had there been an Indian coach how different things would be at this time? xxxxx
Guest dada_rocks

"We fear approaching him. This is something we have never experienced," said a seasoned cricketer, preferring to remain anonymous.
Oke I will give u an anecdote from my life: was a course co-instructor during grad years for a third year engg course. In one of the quiz I apparently gave third degree to the students in form of exam paper. Not a single student crossed 40% mark. I refused to curve fit My senior course instructor a near retiree professor took me for the bear and gave this billion dollar instruction. Reproduced verbatim: Anil it doesn't really matter whther u are right or wrong. The moment whole class does porly it has only two implication either you are a lousy teacher or questions set were beyond the scope of the course and in both cases it shows you in poor light." MORAL: When the whole senior brigade is against chappal's dealings, right or wrong chappal has got to go.

Poor Laxman. :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: and this was probably dada :hic:
"If I can't ensure my own selection how can I influence someone else's inclusion?" one of the senior players asked.

Poor Laxman. :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: and this was probably dada :hic:
"If I can't ensure my own selection how can I influence someone else's inclusion?" one of the senior players asked.
:lmao:

The Board is not willing to accept that the seniors have been resisting the entry of young talent in the Indian dressing room. "The team is picked by selectors and not senior members," said a Board member.
I've been asking this question ever since that SMS story to Rajan Bala broke out. I don't believe everything that is written in the article Ravi has posted, but at least the SMS story is confirmed. How on earth can seniors stop the entry of juniors in the team?

How on earth can seniors stop the entry of juniors in the team?
if the seniors blame the coach for shattering their confidence, cant the juiniors blame the seniors for shattering theirs???? why, no one is willing to listen to that??? why, there is no mention of Sreesanth's story of getting bullied by Zak and Aggy???? Is it because, he is not a prima donna??? If consistently performing youngsters suddenly stopped performing after the return of some seniors like Sachin, Ganguly and Zak, what does it tell u????

why, there is no mention of Sreesanth's story of getting bullied by Zak and Aggy???? Is it because, he is not a prima donna??? If consistently performing youngsters suddenly stopped performing after the return of some seniors like Sachin, Ganguly and Zak, what does it tell u????
Gator. I must have missed that story. Can you send me the link? It would be very disheartening to note that Zaheer Khan and Agarkar bullied Sreesanth!! xxx

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large Lurks, here u go.... from Desichap's earlier post where he copied from PP.... and was confirmed by Rahul... Yet, one story gets repeated, by several unrelated quarters -- and my best guess, since I know the people from whom this came, is there is a big chunk of truth in it. It was before the game in Bermuda. The Indians were in the nets, and Sourav Ganguly was batting. He asked the bowlers -- Zaheer, Agarkar and Sreesanth -- to pitch the ball up and cut out the bouncers (whether it is because he doesn't like being bounced, or he wanted to practice his driving, depends on who was telling the story -- I heard both, and am inclined to leave the 'why' alone). At some point, as Sree was walking back to the top of his mark, Zaheer and Agarkar asked him to bounce. Sree ran in and bowled the full length; on his follow through, he went up to the batsman and asked if he wanted him to bowl bouncers. No, Ganguly told him with some, um, vehemence. Sorry, said Sree, I asked because they told me you wanted me to. Ganguly then chewed out the other two bowlers who, pissed that Sree had fingered them, later gave him a substantial -- and on this family forum, unmentionable -- earful. If it had ended there, it would have been one of those things. But next day, when the Indians played Bermuda, Sree was deputed to the boundary line at one end, to provide drinks and towels to the bowler at the end of each over. At the end of the first over, Zaheer wandered over to the third man boundary, Sree greeted him with drinks, and Zaheer pushed him away with a 'F*&# off, I don't need anything from you you *&#*)@(...' A shocked and upset Sreesanth retreated to the dressing room and, for a while, was inconsolable.

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large Beh**88d....Ba$ta&&&&&&..effi!@# Sorry guys but this is disgraceful: 1) Ganguly doesnt want bouncer before a game of Bermuda! :mad: 2) Zaheer Khan and Agarkar ask Sreesanth to bowl bouncers!! If these mother effers have the desire to see Ganguly bounced why the eff didnt they do so themselves?? Isnt this a classic case of using someone else's shoulders to fire a shot? 3) When Sreesanth asks Ganguly it is Ganguly who snaps at Sreesanth!! Jackass Dada had Sreesanth not being kind to you he could have very well rammed one down your throat. Bear in mind this is nets where people dont really watch the "no-ball" line while delivering. 4) And during match Sree goes to ZK and ZK the macho man proceeds to diss him. This is effing unbeleivable. No wonder Team India sank without a trace. If fellows like ZK and Agarkar have this prima donna atitude I say all powers to ZEE's initiave. I am still fuming :mad: xxx

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large Yeah. I have no doubt in my mind that there are huge differences btn seniors and GC. I just wonder how come it got dragged so long. They should voice their concern right a way. Second thing, GC must be out of his mind to think that he can throw away these seniors and do wonders with juniors we have. So his plan was a big bluff. Knowing what we have on bench how could he risk toying with seniors is beyond me. He needs to be blamed first. Now seniors have failed more often recently so only performance in the near future will give them their pride back. I think GC need go. Some seniors need to be rested.

Re: Row between coach and seniors looms large Lurks, have you noticed how this story does not get the importance and how these so-called seniors are trying to act innocent.... Viv was right, when he called them "BABIES".... hence my post....

If consistently performing youngsters suddenly stopped performing after the return of some seniors like Sachin, Ganguly and Zak, what does it tell u????
the same youngsters, coach and captain..... before the arrival of Sachin, Ganguly and Zak won 20 times in a row setting a world record, which was not accomplished by windies of the 80s or Australia, be it home or away.... this included one of the toughest places for india - in Pakistan..... most of those teams were ranked 2 at that time..... we were punching above our weight and delivering knock-outs... Now answer me, WHO SHATTERED WHOSE CONFIDENCE?

So his plan was a big bluff. Knowing what we have on bench how could he risk toying with seniors is beyond me. He needs to be blamed first.
Especially knowing the world cup round the corner. His approach should have been, one player at a time. :shrug: