5 best under-23 performers in IPL 2009

karteekmvs

The commentators keep talking about the CITI under 23 success of the tournament all the time and there are pretty good contenders for that although it could be narrowed down to just Raina and Sharma. 5) Pragyan Ojha: 13 wickets from 12 games with one to go at an avergage of about 20 and an economy of just over 6. He has been one of the very few players who have continued their last year's form. 4) Tirumalasetti Suman: Find of the tournament in my opinion. 191 runs at an average of about 24 and a good strike rate of 135. His gentle off-spinners have earned him 5 wickets at an average of 18 and an econmy of just under 6.5. Sadly, he was not picked for 4 games. 3) Ravindra Jadeja: HAs been the backbone of the Royals' middle-order thanks to Kaif being sent back. But he has taken his opportunity with both his hands. 257 runs from 11 games with at an average of 28.5 might be modest but thats been the best for his team both in terms of average and runs scored. His 6 wickets at 23 at an economy of 6.5 has also come in handy for his side. 2) Suresh Raina: 342 from 11 games at an average of 31 and a great strike rate of close 150 in itself is a big achievement. Add his 5 wickets at an economy of 5.6 and and an average of 19 and that makes him an all-rounder too. 1) Rohit Sharma: Has went a step ahead from 2008 by picking on his bowling skills. Now, he can seriously consider himself as an all-rounder and prove Varun wrong (kidding). 320 runs at an average of just under 30 with the bat, although Strike rate should have been better and most importantly 11 wickets at an average of 11.5 and an economy of under 7, which included a hat-trick, of course. Prominent misses are Ishat Sharma, Piyush Chawla and Pradeep Sangwan, Kamran Khan. BTW, 3 of the 5 are from Deccan doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I am a Hyderabadi. ;) Edit: Suman is not under 23 and has to make room for Kamran Khan.

1) Suresh Raina 2) Rohit Sharma 3) Ravinder Jadeja 4) Pragyan Ojha 5) Kamran Khan
Forgot about Kamran although he wouldn't have made it in my top 5. I almost had Raina as my number 1 but RS with his last 2 knocks and a hat-trick and another 2 wickets in a row got the nod.

The prominant presence of Mr.Rohit Gurunath Sharma' date=' will irk a certain Delhite on this board, well he has certainly justified his inclusion in the WC squad and so have the likes of R.Jadeja.[/quote'] Jadeja has done evertyting he could to be included in the WC squad but I still fell DK should have got the nod ahead of him with Dhoni's back in mind. I wonder if Jadeja gets a chance to play all.

Jadeja has done evertyting he could to be included in the WC squad but I still fell DK should have got the nod ahead of him with Dhoni's back in mind. I wonder if Jadeja gets a chance to play all.
If MSD gets injured during the Tournament(God Forbid), i guess we can make ammendments to replace him.

The commentators keep talking about the CITI under 23 success of the tournament all the time and there are pretty good contenders for that although it could be narrowed down to just Raina and Sharma. 5) Pragyan Ojha: 13 wickets from 12 games with one to go at an avergage of about 20 and an economy of just over 6. He has been one of the very few players who have continued their last year's form. 4) Tirumalasetti Suman: Find of the tournament in my opinion. 191 runs at an average of about 24 and a good strike rate of 135. His gentle off-spinners have earned him 5 wickets at an average of 18 and an econmy of just under 6.5. Sadly, he was not picked for 4 games. 3) Ravindra Jadeja: HAs been the backbone of the Royals' middle-order thanks to Kaif being sent back. But he has taken his opportunity with both his hands. 257 runs from 11 games with at an average of 28.5 might be modest but thats been the best for his team both in terms of average and runs scored. His 6 wickets at 23 at an economy of 6.5 has also come in handy for his side. 2) Suresh Raina: 342 from 11 games at an average of 31 and a great strike rate of close 150 in itself is a big achievement. Add his 5 wickets at an economy of 5.6 and and an average of 19 and that makes him an all-rounder too. 1) Rohit Sharma: Has went a step ahead from 2008 by picking on his bowling skills. Now, he can seriously consider himself as an all-rounder and prove Varun wrong (kidding). 320 runs at an average of just under 30 with the bat, although Strike rate should have been better and most importantly 11 wickets at an average of 11.5 and an economy of under 7, which included a hat-trick, of course. Prominent misses are Ishat Sharma, Piyush Chawla and Pradeep Sangwan, Kamran Khan. BTW, 3 of the 5 are from Deccan doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I am a Hyderabadi. ;)
TS Suman is >23 years of age hence ineligible 4 places are undoubtedly sealed by Rohit , raina , jadeja and ojha , the first three seemingly very similar players. Looks like the emergence of a new faction in indian cricket on the lines of 'fab four' etc. Though only jadeja is going to remain under 23 by the next years edition. The contenders for the 5th place (and probable next years' under23 power performers) are : Sudeep Tyagi , Kamran Khan , Ishant Sharma , Pradeep Sangwan , Piyush Chawla , Virat Kohli Ajinkya Rahane needs to step up following his solitary flash of brilliance.