Duckworth-Lewis good but not perfect

Ireland started the match with a 50 over mindset and played the first 9 overs before the first rain interruption reduced the match to 47 overs a side. Another interruption after the 11th over reduced the match to 35 overs a side. Only 7 runs were added to the South African chase. I think somewhere in the vicinity of 20-25 runs should have been added. Ireland had a good chance of scoring 170-175 if they had known it was a 35 over match at the start. Thoughts?

Re: Duckworth-Lewis good but not perfect I agree... if you have a reserve day why do you curtail the match on first day..Its clear advantage to the side who is bowling. Imagine WC final between NZL v/s SA NZL batting first in cloudy conditions are 23 for 1 in 10 overs...those were seaming conditions..and suddenly it pours heaveily and match is reduced to 20 overs..There is distinct disadvantage to the NZL...

Re: Duckworth-Lewis good but not perfect Yea, the reduced over targets always seem screwy one way or the other.

if you have a reserve day why do you curtail the match on first day.
I agree. They need to take both days into account before deciding to curtail.

Re: Duckworth-Lewis good but not perfect ^ I kind of agree with curtailing on the first day itself. More possibility of a result that ways. But the DL system needs to be tweaked in the case of an interruption in the first innings. For second innings interruptions it seems to work well.