Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

This is one of the many attacks on Indians in Melbourne in the last 3-4 months. Most of the attackers are teenagers between 16-18.

MELBOURNE: A student from Andhra Pradesh who was among four students from India, assaulted by a group of teenagers this week, is battling for life in a hospital here. Shravan Kumar, the 25-year old student is in a critical condition, said one of his close friends who also had a narrow escape during that attack. "Doctors are still unsure if Kumar will survive and if he does, he will lose his vision or memory", Kumar's friend, Sinivas Gandhi, said. A group of teenagers attacked four Indian students while they were partying here over the weekend, leaving Kumar in a serious condition. Sinivas said the attackers abused them and said they should go back to India. They were hit with a screwdriver by the attackers who apparently were in drunken state. While three were discharged after medical treatment, Kumar is still fighting for his life. Kumar, hailing from Andhra Pradesh, came to Australia two years ago and was a student of automotive engineering at Cambridge International College here. Sinivas said, the police had asked them to take care of their own security and even said that they "can't go on protecting each and everyone". He said they were also asked to change their residence in a bid to protect themselves. Violent attacks on Indians have been growing over the last few years and has raised serious concern for aspiring students who wish to study in Australia.
I have had mixed feelings about racism in Australia ever since I came here 9 years ago. There was a time when I wanted to leave Aus after I was punched by a junkie who thought I was a Lebanese. I put it behind and moved on but ever since I have been careful and I always keep an eye on who is around me whenever I go out. I am at a stage in life where me and my mrs are planning to buy a house and raise kids in this country but now Im not sure about living here. In the past i have had an offer or two for jobs in the US but I decided to stay here. A decesion which Im not sure about anymore

Conversation about steps being taken by Aussie police

PETER CAVE: A police officer from Victoria leaves for India this weekend on a mission to meet with students planning to visit Australia and to teach them how to stay safe. The visit follows a recent dramatic upswing in the number of violent attacks against foreign students from the subcontinent in the outer suburbs of Melbourne. But the initiative has been criticised by the local Islamic Council which says the police should spend more time arresting racists and less time trying to teach Indians how to look less Indian. Jeff Waters reports. JEFF WATERS: Australia hosts about 400,000 foreign students and a large proportion of them come from the subcontinent. Their numbers are rising by almost 40 per cent in the last year alone. But for many, the stay in Australia hasn't been entirely pleasant. Melbourne has suffered a big increase this year in violent attacks against visiting foreign students and those from India appear to have been targeted in particular. In the latest attack this month, seven men between 15 and 20 years old brutally bashed a 21-year-old Indian man travelling alone on a train. Now as part of an initiative sponsored by Victoria University police community liaison officer Leading Senior Constable Victor Robb will travel to India to brief prospective students about ways to avoid trouble. VICTOR ROBB: It's mainly on crime prevention and safety strategy tips probably much the sort of information I'd give to my daughter if she was going overseas to another country. JEFF WATERS: But Victor Robb says the visit isn't in response to the attacks. It was planned before they took place. VICTOR ROBB: No this is absolutely not in a response to the number of attacks that allegedly on the Indian or international students. This is about an initiative that was projected to other countries. There was not one focus on a particular country or a particular issue. It was just trying to look at a strategy in a broader range of strategies on the broader community safety issues. JEFF WATERS: Victoria University agrees the attacks aren't racist. The vice president for international students Andrew Holloway blames statistics instead. ANDREW HOLLOWAY: It just happens to be coincidental that there's a large number of South Asian students travelling on their own late at night time and if you look at it, the work patterns of Indian students are somewhat different from other students. They tend to work at 24/7 conveniences, petrol stations, late-at-night shops, and therefore are more likely to be on the public transport network late at night time. JEFF WATERS: But according to the Islamic Council of Victoria it's all an ill-conceived idea. The Council's Nazeem Hussein says he's disappointed more isn't being done to stop the attacks and protect the foreign visitors. NAZEEM HUSSEIN: I think it's one thing to help the victims look less like victims, sorry to look less Indian, but I think it's another thing to really attack the core issue here which is racism. And we're seeing not as much from the police that we would have probably expected. It's only a particular type of crime that is on the rise and that's crimes against people that look Indian. So really that statistic means not very much given that this particular crime is on the increase. It's not other sorts of crimes; it's this particular crime. So really that statistic does support the opposite argument. PETER CAVE: The Islamic Council of Victoria's Nazeem Hussein, ending that report from Jeff Waters.

Did not know so many attacks took place against Indians in Aus!!!. Take care desi. Given that you are thinking about kids, and settling down, I think you should SERIOUSLY reconsider where you want to settle down. All it takes is one unsafe incident from a rascist pig to turn life upside down. How sad. Be safe desi and co.

You should not stay in a place where you cant not have reasonable security for yourself and your family. You don't want to regret the decision later in your life. If racism exists and there is a general hatred against Indians in a certain section of the society, it will not go away anytime soon. May be the next generation of Australians will be better, but it will definitely not go away entirely from this generation. Police can ensure law and order to an extent. But an inebriated frustrated racist can attack anytime. If I was you, I would not make Australia my home. A hostile society (even if the hostility exists in a part of it) is not a place to raise a family.

this is just shameful

MELBOURNE: The houses of four Indian students, who were brutally assaulted by a group of teenagers in Australia, have been burgled, even as one of them battles for life at a hospital, an organization of Indian students here has alleged. The students, who were bashed up in an apparent racial attack, were away to the hospital when unknown intruders broke into their houses and stole everything available. "They have no clothes or anything left in the house and the students are really feeling insecure and unsafe," said Gautam Gupta, President of the Federation of Indian student Association (FISA). "They believe it was done by members of the same group who had assaulted them during the weekend," he said. There was, however, no official confirmation of the burglary so far. The fresh attack comes despite the Indian government pressing Australia to tackle security issues of its students in the wake of growing assaults on them. Meanwhile, the condition of the 25-year old Shravan Kumar, who is fighting for life in a hospital, remains critical and doctors are "not very optimistic" about chances of his recovery. Representatives of FISA, along with those of Australia's apex student body National Union of Students (NUS) will meet Indian High Commission Sujatha Singh on the issue today and present a list of their demands.

I've been living in Australia for close to the past 10 years, and thankfully, nothing has happened yet Look the part, don't draw attention to yourself and don't get involved with the wrong crowd. Helps to stay clear of the bogan suburbs, where gang wars between lebanese thugs and bigot whites are prevelant. Make sure you don't get mistaken for a lebanese. They have a bad reputation before and ever since the Cronulla hate riots

I've been living in Australia for close to the past 10 years, and thankfully, nothing has happened yet Look the part, don't draw attention to yourself and don't get involved with the wrong crowd. Helps to stay clear of the bogan suburbs, where gang wars between lebanese thugs and bigot whites are prevelant. Make sure you don't get mistaken for a lebanese. They have a bad reputation before and ever since the Cronulla hate riots
do u think its nice to live always in tht fear?? dont u wanna live freely n peacefully without getting scared of these things..

its not that bad though ' date=' Its limited to an outer poorer suburb but the trend is there ...[/quote'] desi take care of yourself and bhabhi ... BTW what is the Australian govt. and security forces doing.. in India if there is a single attack on a foreigner it is taken up by govt. and police very seriously ... it is closely followed by the media and security is extremely beefed up for the victims.. how is it possible for the burglary to happen within two days of the incident.. is the Australian govt. not serious or are they sleeping

^ thats the saddest part this news is not even in the news. usually even if a cat gets hurt its in the news so Im surprised how come this hasn't appeared in the media. BTW they arrested couple of teenagers for attack on an Indian couple of weeks ago. The link below has video of the attack as well http://www.theage.com.au/national/teens-arrested-over-werribee-line-bashing-of-indian-student-20090528-boh0.html

^ thats the saddest part this news is not even in the news. usually even if a cat gets hurt its in the news so Im surprised how come this hasn't appeared in the media. BTW they arrested couple of teenagers for attack on an Indian couple of weeks ago. The link below has video of the attack as well http://www.theage.com.au/national/teens-arrested-over-werribee-line-bashing-of-indian-student-20090528-boh0.html
If this is not even in the news then the Australian authoraties and media is really pathetic.. in India the media goes after the govt. so that the culprits of any attack, rape etc. on foreigners is brought to justice ASAP .. but it is surprising how this can not be even in the news in Australia .. I really suspect the Australian govt. and media if such a grave incident does not get mentioned even in the news

WTF .. another one Another Indian student attacked in Australia

MELBOURNE: In a fresh incident of racial attack on Indians in Australia, a 25-year old student was stabbed here, even as another youth from Andhra Pradesh was battling for life after an assault by local teenagers. Baljinder Singh, 25, was attacked on Monday night when two men carrying weapons approached, the 'Herald Sun' reported. The attackers demanded money and as Singh was searching through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen. Singh screamed for his life, his attackers laughed and fled the scene, the report said. "I bent down and one guy stabbed me," Singh said adding "I just wanted to save my life and yelled "just don't kill me." "They just laughed when they stabbed me in the stomach. They laughed at me...I was screaming 'don't kill me, don't kill me'." Singh was quoted saying that he believed that the city was a safe place to live, but was now convinced that Indian nationals are being targeted as easy prey. "We're not safe here now," he said adding "I thought it was safe here, that's why I came to Australia. "Now there are lots of attacks. You can see that in the western suburbs, but I thought Carnegie was the safest place in Melbourne." Singh, who is recuperating from emergency surgery at the Alfred Hospital, has not told his family for fear they will be distressed. Police officer Darrell Allen said it was an "opportunistic crime", but was not racially motivated. "We fear that if we don't act quickly and get the public's assistance there will be further attacks in the future," he said adding "I don't think it's racially motivated. It's an opportunistic crime and it's of great concern." :finger: A youth from Andhra Pradesh was battling for life after a brutal racial attack on a group of four Indians by Australian teenagers here drawing strong reaction from India which wants an end to such violence. Shravan Kumar, a 25-year-old student who was attacked with a screwdriver over the weekend along with his three friends is in the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital here and doctors are "not very optimistic" about chances of his recovery, Indian Consul General here Anita Nair said.
This is Bullshyt .. these are racist else how many people get stabbed in Melbourne every night ?

WTF .. another one Another Indian student attacked in Australia This is Bullshyt .. these are racist else how many people get stabbed in Melbourne every night ?
WTF is the police doing.. is Melbourne such a dangerous place .. I thought there were less crimes in Australia Australian govt. should pass on a strict law against all racist criminals and maybe give then at least 5-10 years prison.. I really doubt this Australian govt. Desi take care of yourself and your wife

^ not really .. The crime rate is pretty low here .. Most if not all houses have thin glass windows ... I think the criminals have realized that its easy to bully Indians at odd times ... Indians usually dont get into fights plus the students who come here are seedhay sadhay bachay who just wanna study , get a job and pay off their loans :((

Desi man, you cannot make a decision to leave or stay in a country based on some isolated incidents. Are these racially motivated attacks the handiwork of a few deranged, drunk individuals who have some sort of axe to grind against immigrants? Or are they a part of a definite pattern where immigrants are systematically targeted? If it is the latter, yes, you should probably consider moving away. If it is the former, you should stay (if you like staying in Australia that is... ) If it is security you’re worried bout, I’d say the best thing to do is to stay in a Western country. In all honesty, the threat to life from a few mental specimens is far lesser than the threat to life from terrorism in places like India. So, you’re better off in Aussie land itself. If you want to move to another Western country (US, UK), that’s a different issue altogether.