Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

All this talk bout crime and mugging reminds me of my univ days. My univ town was situated in the County that was rated the safest in the whole of Western United States. It was mainly coz Utah is a Mormon stronghold and the people there don’t drink or smoke or engage in excessive partying AND possibly because there are no African-Americans in Utah at all. We did not even lock our houses when we left for school and crime rate was almost 0%. Students routinely went to and returned from school in the wee hours. On many occasions, my friends and I have mistakenly left thing on the bus (Books, laptops etc) and every time, a good Samaritan would have returned to the local transit center where we would go and collect it.

All this talk bout crime and mugging reminds me of my univ days. My univ town was situated in the County that was rated the safest in the whole of Western United States. It was mainly coz Utah is a Mormon stronghold and the people there don’t drink or smoke or engage in excessive partying AND possibly because there are no African-Americans in Utah at all. We did not even lock our houses when we left for school and crime rate was almost 0%. Students routinely went to and returned from school in the wee hours. On many occasions, my friends and I have mistakenly left thing on the bus (Books, laptops etc) and every time, a good Samaritan would have returned to the local transit center where we would go and collect it.
Don't you think you are stereotyping an entire community ?

Don't you think you are stereotyping an entire community ?
Yes I am stereotyping an entire community. Only, on this occasion, I don’t think its an entirely inaccurate stereotype. When I think about the reasons why Utah is so safe, the things that immediately spring to mind is the fact they're piously religious people with strict strong and community values. And I mentioned that. But, it would be dishonest on my part not to mention the absence of poor, uneducated African American community also helps preserving community peace there as a big contributing factor. If anything, I'd like to clarify that I am referring to 'poor, uneducated African-Americans' and not African-Americans as a whole.

India is perfectly safe at least the big cities .. I stay in Delhi and hardly are there any problems .. there are rare incidents but most are like rape etc. and hardly are there any stabbing' date= killiing etc. .. I think Delhi , Mumbai etc. is a lot more safe than these Sydney, Melbourne etc. .. you can go around in local trains and buses and I can guarantee nobody can stab or attack you .. I dont know how can people attack in a train or a bus in Australia .. what were the other people in the train doing there.. why did the other people not capture the attackers .. in India you would have the whole crowd giving a public dhulaai to the attackers.. nobody would dare to attack in a train or a bus in India especially in Delhi:nono: Delhi is the most effed up place when it comes to land grabbing, for example. If you want to buy an apartment, for example, you are better off buying from the Builders. Simply because it becomes the Bank's headache(if you are buying on loan). If you buy from an owner he would screw you good with this-that-and-other charges, then the Society would jump in and make sure you do not buy the house because the President's saala wanted the same property. If you have moved past it the Secretary would make sure he does not give you membership because he had eyes on the property as well. The worst amongst all Indian cities when it comes to property disputes Delhi is. No such problems in Mumbai, for good or bad it is a case of Paisa phenk tamasha dekh in Mumbai. xxx
Hardly any problems??

Hardly any problems?? :nono: Delhi is the most effed up place when it comes to land grabbing, for example. If you want to buy an apartment, for example, you are better off buying from the Builders. Simply because it becomes the Bank's headache(if you are buying on loan). If you buy from an owner he would screw you good with this-that-and-other charges, then the Society would jump in and make sure you do not buy the house because the President's saala wanted the same property. If you have moved past it the Secretary would make sure he does not give you membership because he had eyes on the property as well. The worst amongst all Indian cities when it comes to property disputes Delhi is. No such problems in Mumbai, for good or bad it is a case of Paisa phenk tamasha dekh in Mumbai. xxx
I am saying about stabbing and beating in public places, trains, buses etc. ... yes there are other problems and I am not denying.. but now apartment system is there in delhi ..anyways how much land is available for sale nowadays.. most are apartment anyways

Desi- even as a citizen of that country, you are subjected to: "We grew here, you flew here"
That was in sydeny and it happened cuz the Lebanese guys have big gangs up there. They harass people , steal etc. The riots happened after a bunch a Lebanese beat up some life savers at the beach. So a hate campaign was started by local people to gather at the beach on a certain day and protest and bash some people up. This message was sent via sms , facebook etc. No way the riots were called for but it was more between Lebanese and aussies. The funny/sad thing is that then PM refused to accept that it was racial. 010114508552700dtfpage12dec059.jpg

Amitabh Bachchan turns down Australian doctorate as mark of protest

NEW DELHI: Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan has reacted to racial attacks on Indian students in Australia by rejecting an honorary doctorate offered to him by an Australian university. ( Watch ) The Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane had offered the 66-year-old veteran a doctorate for his contribution to the world of entertainment and Bachchan had earlier accepted the title. The honour was to be conferred on the star in July as a part of celebrations to commemorate a retrospective of his films to be inaugurated in the city. "I have been witnessing with great dismay and shock, the recent violent attacks on Indian students in Australia, on the electronic media the entire day," Bachchan wrote on his blog. "I mean no disrespect to the Institution that honours me, but under the present circumstances, where citizens of my own country are subjected to such acts of inhuman horror, my conscience does not permit me to accept this decoration from a country that perpetrates such indignity to my fellow countrymen," he added. Australia has recently seen a series of attacks on Indian students , the most serious being the assault of Shravan Kumar, a 25-year-old student from Andhra Pradesh who is battling for life in a hospital here after being stabbed by a screwdriver by a group of teens in a weekend attack that also left three of his friends injured.
:hail::hail: BTW education is the biggest industry in victoria.. Indians make over 50% of the total number of students ... They are gonna lose so much now

Education is Australia's third-largest export earner behind coal and iron ore. The number of Indians studying in Australia has more than doubled since 2006 to 93,000. It is estimated this group contributed about $2 billion to the economy last financial year. More From another article

Education is Australia's third-largest export industry, generating about $15.5billion last year. Of the 430,000 international students visiting Australia, an estimated 96,739 last year were Indian, a 54 per cent increase on 2007.
If these attacks continue then I would want Indian Govt openly talk about stopping this export ... within 6 months half of the unis in Aus would know what desis contribute to Aus.... Most of the aussies think Indias work at gas stations , 711 and drive cabs only they dont even know that each student pays at least A$ 30k... for a 12 subject course .. if its bachelors then the fee itself is over $80k ...

Education is Australia's third-largest export earner behind coal and iron ore. The number of Indians studying in Australia has more than doubled since 2006 to 93' date=000. It is estimated this group contributed about $2 billion to the economy last financial year. If these attacks continue then I would want Indian Govt openly talk about stopping this export ... within 6 months half of the unis in Aus would know what desis contribute to Aus.... Most of the aussies think Indias work at gas stations , 711 and drive cabs only they dont even know that each student pays at least A$ 30k... for a 12 subject course .. if its bachelors then the fee itself is over $80k ...
I daresay that wont work Desi, although I do understand where you are coming from. Look at it this way. How can Indian Govt. stop these students from going to Australia, or any other country? These students who are shelling out 30K per annum are doing it for a reason. They are either not happy with the education offered in India, or are unable to get into a quality institution or plain want to enjoy Western lifestyle. They are not going to stop simply because students are getting kicked down under. If anything they would probably move to NZ or Britain or Canada or some place else. If Indian Govt. has to push hard on Australia, which frankly it should, it would have to show its seriousness or else it would be an empty threat. The viable alternative is for Indian Govt, and people, to realize that if we spent event 50% of that amount(2 billion) we can raise 100s of world class institution right here in India. However our netas are busy fighting for bringing reservations in Private Institutions instead. xxx

I daresay that wont work Desi, although I do understand where you are coming from.
I didnt mean India to ban people from coming to Aus but to be strong and open about it ..
Look at it this way. How can Indian Govt. stop these students from going to Australia, or any other country? These students who are shelling out 30K per annum are doing it for a reason. They are either not happy with the education offered in India, or are unable to get into a quality institution or plain want to enjoy Western lifestyle. They are not going to stop simply because students are getting kicked down under. If anything they would probably move to NZ or Britain or Canada or some place else. If Indian Govt. has to push hard on Australia, which frankly it should, it would have to show its seriousness or else it would be an empty threat.
Of course many of the students come to just get residency and drive a 16 wheeler or just drive a cab and I dont see anything wrong with it. These people are coming from poor families and its their short cut to living a much better life but these people will be the one who suffer the most. People who are educated in Business, IT etc can easily move to Dubai , US , Eng and India but the cabbies can't. A lot of people come to Aus since getting into good courses is not difficult like it is in the US .. a person like me who was doing B com and had already done Intermediate of CS while doing graduation came to Aus since I wanted to do something in IT :wall:. 3 of my friends came with me and all of us are Aus citizens but I can only see 1 of us living here for a long time.
The viable alternative is for Indian Govt, and people, to realize that if we spent event 50% of that amount(2 billion) we can raise 100s of world class institution right here in India. However our netas are busy fighting for bringing reservations in Private Institutions instead. xxx
True! My friend tried to get into some IT institute in Ghaziabad but the competition is tough. The other option was to pay, so he decided to spend the same money on a course in Aus which gave him education ,job & residency. But this was 10 years ago , now Indian kids are aware of Indian economy , racism etc. They dont wanna move to another country as long as they have a good lifestyle in India and thats why the max number of students who come to Aus now are coming from villages and are doing hospitality or courses which get them residency from Universities which dont beleive in failing students.

Desi Please move ASAP to US milenge baithenge aur gap shap karenge:yay::yay:
Yep ! I have started exploring whats the demand like. I would have moved a year ago since I had couple of options but then recession started and I decided to stay here and be safe .. now I have started looking again and if something nice comes up then I might move soon......... :two_thumbs_up: BTW what sort of money does one need in NJ or NY ? I mean whats the rent, price of groceries and price of houses like ...

The other option was to pay' date= so he decided to spend the same money on a course in Aus which gave him education ,job & residency. But this was 10 years ago , now Indian kids are aware of Indian economy , racism etc. They dont wanna move to another country as long as they have a good lifestyle in India and thats why the max number of students who come to Aus now are coming from villages and are doing hospitality or courses which get them residency from Universities which dont beleive in failing students.
This is the part that I have never been able to comprehend. I can understand students going abroad to study when they get scholarship/stipend etc. In fact I can also understand that local students getting a bit antsy about it since they have to shell 30-40K while a foreigner gets away with scholarship.(This doesnt justify them being violent of course). However what I can not understand is why would an Indian pay that kind of money to go abroad? 30-40 K is a big amount in India and surely that can be put to good use. A very recent example I ran into. A couple of my close friends graduated from Cornell. These were both products of IITs and had scholarships etc. However they mentioned that there is this 1 year Masters course which comprises of a lot of Indian students who have to pay their way. This translated to about 50K in tuition fees plus expenses. Lets say 60K for a year. Thats like 28-30 lakhs! Why would anyone want to pay that kind of money? The stranger thing is that I came back, joined work and found out 3 of my team members have done the same. And they did their studies in worse colleges. They did not pay 30 lakhs of course but my guess is still around 15-20 lakhs. I guess I just dont get this whole pay thingy. xxx

^ arey bhaia .. hum IIT people nahi hai re ... See my bhai is IITian so he went to UCLA ... Im from Dilli Uni so I went to RMIT .. he was on a scholarship and I was getting money from family. This paisa is shortcut for people who are not in the top 2%. Btw when I said pay that much money in India I meant GHUS/Bribe I had 2 options :To complete CS and work in a company as a legal adviser. Starting salary at that time was 7-10k ... with 5 years exp it was said to be about 20k ...... Mujhay kya pata tha ke Indian economy was gonna take off. Had I stayed in India and completed my CS the salary would have been more than 1lac Second option : I wanted to earn more than 20k with 5 yrs exp so thought of doing something in IT and came here. I think it was a good decesion since Im sure I would have hated living with company law 24/7. Al though it worked out for me and I work for a good company but many of my class mates are driving cabs or working in grocery stores as they never found a job in IT or they became too comfortable doing their student jobs. I dont think more than 10% of Indian students in my course ever got to work in IT. So money can only get u a degree not a job but at least they have a good lifestyle which they could have never achieved in India