Laxman made Vice Captain

talksport

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Agreed - Kaif should have been an automatic selection. He scored two fifties against Australia FFS; against a bowling attack which stifled the techniques of India's finest batsmen - Dravid included. He pulled India out of the doldrums @ Nagpur against England, only to be rewarded with the axe for the next two tests. He scored a superb 140 against the WI - disproving the myths perpetrated by his idiotic detractors who claimed that he couldn't play long innings in Test cricket. In addition to all these achievements, he also singlehandedly took UP their first ever Ranji Trophy final against all the odds (as acknowledged by their coach, Rajinder Singh Hans) and led from the front - scoring numerous 50's and a hundred in the final match. What the f*ck has he done wrong ? He has proven himself worthy of being a lock in that middle order - for the time being, at the very least. As for the other selections - it's clear that the selectors want to keep all the players on their toes. Dhoni is no longer the only wicket-keeper in the side, Jaffer's position is still under scrutiny despite his fine performance in WI. I definately fear for Jaffer's place - a failure or two will see him dropped for Gambhir, which would be very unfair on him because he is the best opener in India [who is not named Sehwag].

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Even though VVS appointment as VC is shocking i think it was smart move, incase Rahul is not fit for tests then it would have been difficult for Sehwag to handle Ganguly and chappell add to that Sachin, VVS and Kumble. Hot headed Sehwag is not the man who could handle all those egos in dressing rom you need a calm person like VVS. I think this is all temporary. Gangulys selection is out of desperation. If he scores well and good if he doesnt then his supporters should shut up permanently.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Kaif so should have been there. He is technically not amazing but he can graft for life if he has to and will be ideal in SA. PLus his recent test record is good. As pred pointed out Laxman is im sure far more tactically aware than Sehwag. Not exactly a long term move making a 32 year old VC though. Im not sure how long VVSL has left hes no the same player of a few years ago. as for saurav..well we could do with his experience. But yeah..dropping kaif was plain unfair.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Ganguly is back cause he never should have been dropped in the first place. It was gregc/moron politics which got him thrown out from tests. ODIs is a different story. Kaif is gone cause he can't hold a bat. Would have liked Badri instead of KKD and Balaji instead of VRV.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Vice-captaincy is the most over-rated position in cricket but my only problem is these sort of team management changes during a tough tour will have a negative affect on team's psyche. I thought Vengsarkar would be a welcome change after the departure of flip-flop Kiran More but he comes across as a bigger dunderhead with his comments and weird selections.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain

Vice-captaincy is the most over-rated position in cricket but my only problem is these sort of team management changes during a tough tour will have a negative affect on team's psyche.
The whole concept of having a "vice-captain" is a crock of sh*t. It's just a worthless tag. I doubt Sehwag will even care, and he shouldn't.

Kaif' date=' the guy who cant hold a bat, has a better recent test record than Ganguly, the guy who should not have been dropped in the first place.[/quote'] They are not related. Kaif should be nowhere near the test or ODI teams, period. He plays a fluke innings here and there (typically when the team doesn't even need it) and then chokes forever. Ganguly scored a 100 in Zimbabwe (in the midst of his spat with chappell), scored reasonably ok in Pak (I am not going to call it the greatest performance against pace bowling like some others). Enough to hold onto his spot, but to be on notice.

Vice-captaincy is the most over-rated position in cricket but my only problem is these sort of team management changes during a tough tour will have a negative affect on team's psyche.
The whole concept of having a "vice-captain" is a crock of sh*t. It's just a worthless tag. I doubt Sehwag will even care, and he shouldn't.
Disagree. He is the 2nd in command, is included in team decisions. Obviously has lesser say than the cappo and coach, but not worthless. Typically the VC is next in line for captaincy. Obviously that is not true in case of Laxman. One thing I would like Indian cappos to do is to consult their VCs more often on the field. For all we know Sehwag might have asked to be relieved.

They are not related.
Ofcourse they're related. There are only X number of spots in the team and giving away one to someone who has averaged 23 in FC cricket since being axed but has exceptional boot licking abilties is sheer stupidity. Kaif not scoring when needed? He has been a waste of space in ODIs but has always done well in tests. He was the only batsmen to do well against Aus in '04 besides Sehwag. Saved India from defeat at Nagpur. Set up a matchwinning position in WI. What more could he have done?

Disagree. He is the 2nd in command' date=' is included in team decisions..[/quote'] Really ? You mean he actually sits down with the chief of selectors, the captain, and the coaching staff to decide who plays and who doesn't ? ...and he sure as hell doesn't do anything on the field. see my post on the Laxman VC thread

Disagree. He is the 2nd in command' date=' is included in team decisions..[/quote'] Really ? You mean he actually sits down with the chief of selectors, the captain, and the coaching staff to decide who plays and who doesn't ? ...and he sure as hell doesn't do anything on the field. see my post on the Laxman VC thread
Yea, really. VC does get involved in pre-game planning/decision making. And of course he doesn't get to sit in the selection committe meetings to pick the 15/16 for a tour/series. It is true that atleast Indian VCs don't seem to be included in on-field decisions, altho I have seen other country cappos talking to their VCs on the field when the going gets tough (ponting/gilly, smith/kallis). Tendu seems to be defacto on-field VC for us no matter who is the cappo/VC.

Kaif should be nowhere near the test or ODI teams' date=' period. He plays a fluke innings here and there (typically when the team doesn't even need it) and then chokes forever. [/quote'] Doesnt it hold true for a certain Yuvraj Singh in Test Matches
Yes, it does.

Kaif should be nowhere near the test or ODI teams, period. He plays a fluke innings here and there (typically when the team doesn't even need it) and then chokes forever.
What crock! What you said only holds true for ODIs. In tests, he's already played some clutch knocks. 64 against Australia at Chennai, 50+ at Nagpur/Perth, 91 against England at Nagpur. He looks like he belongs at the test level. He will most certainly be a part of our test MO in the years to come.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Laxman as vice captain. Heck why not, in all the permutations, combinations this is one thing they havent tried before. In the absence of Dravid, is Laxman gonna lead us in the first test ? On the selections: Kaif, Raina, Mongia dropped - correct decisions. IMO, none of these give me an impression that they have any potential to score a 50 in these conditions. Ganguly -- Debatable. Going by recent records, he has no hope in hell of making it. But they have gone by history. I think Ganguly is worth the gamble, ahead of Kaif. I dont expect Kaif to score a 50 in these conditions, against the SA quickies. Kaif -- This lad will struggle against good attacks on difficult pitches. His vulnerability to short stuff is worse than Ganguly. Watch the Ind vs WI final test tapes. He may make a few 30s & 40s. He wont cut it in SA conditions. VRV -- Pathetic selection. Gagandeep should be sitting somewhere & wondering what he should do more to be in the reckoning. Laxman - Giving him a VC is one of the most bone headed moves for two reasons: a) It puts Sehwag on notice & likely demotivates him (who has been more successful than Laxman in tests recently) b) It elevates Laxy's status, for apparently no worthy reasons. Laxman should be playing for his place in the side, as much as a Kaif, IMO. Karthik - Likley picked as a backup keeper. But could have made way for Badri. Gambhir - Another contraversial pick. His limited overs performance, earns him a test spot, go figure. IMO, the BIGGEST blunder is not picking Badri. But i interpret this move, as saving Badri for a home series, as a SA tour could be a shocker of a beginning for this lad.

Kaif should be nowhere near the test or ODI teams' date=' period. He plays a fluke innings here and there (typically when the team doesn't even need it) and then chokes forever. [/quote'] What crock! What you said only holds true for ODIs. In tests, he's already played some clutch knocks. 64 against Australia at Chennai, 50+ at Nagpur/Perth, 91 against England at Nagpur. He looks like he belongs at the test level. He will most certainly be a part of our test MO in the years to come.
The guy averages a pathetic 32 runs/innings after 13 tests. He is a survivor, not a winner. He will fight to survive and retain his spot. We can and more importantly need to do better a facking 32 runs/innings average.

Re: Laxman made Vice Captain Kaif both at the test, ODI level can only play a secondary role. He is like Raina of the ODIs, will get set, make a decent start & then throw it away. MO batters should make their stay count BIG, when set, which kaif has not been able to do. But the biggest question is, is Kaif a better option than Ganguly in these conditions. Am not so sure.