Is there any point in hiring coach from overseas?

King

I've heard people say the foreign coaches find it hard to blend in. I have also heard Indian sports culture is different from elsewhere. The players and the public are emotional so then need a coach that can understand this all. I don't reckon there are many coaches overseas that can deal with all this other than just coaching the players. The coach's role as for India is concerned is perhaps lot more than just helping the players mentally and technically. For instance it wouldn't be hard for an Aussie coach to coach the Kiwi team or say a South African team. The same coach may have 100 extra things added to the "TO DO LIST" if he were to coach India. I strongly think it is hard for an overseas coach to deal with all this. It is time India hired a local coach that can understand all this and cope with it on a daily basis. If BCCI hires an overseas coach then they can't usually get the best out of him considering coaching may not probably end up being at the top of the list. Also it will take for a new overseas coach to understand the board politics and to gel well. An Indian coach perhaps can blend in quickly and seamlessly.

Re: Is there any point in hiring coach from overseas? I would add a third option for someone like myself where the nationality of the coach should be immaterial to his selection. All that matters is what he can bring to the table with regards to the progress of the Indian team. Many coaches from western countries have had sucessful stints in the subcontinent and if we dont want to gamble with someone who has never coached a subcontinent side before go with someone like Whatmore or Moody. But primary focus has to be the ability of the coach and I see Moody and Patil as the best with regards to that.

Re: Is there any point in hiring coach from overseas?

I would add a third option for someone like myself where the nationality of the coach should be immaterial to his selection. All that matters is what he can bring to the table with regards to the progress of the Indian team. Many coaches from western countries have had sucessful stints in the subcontinent and if we dont want to gamble with someone who has never coached a subcontinent side before go with someone like Whatmore or Moody. But primary focus has to be the ability of the coach and I see Moody and Patil as the best with regards to that.
Haven't you heard about SKC then? It is doing quite a bit of rounds of late. There have been many reports that says the players and the nation feels the overseas coaches cannot understand the emotion. These will be used as an excuse every time Indian players fail or the team fails to perform. If it is such a major reason and is going to hinder the overseas coach then why hire an overseas coach at all? I'm sure the players should have no problems speaking their mind with the local coach.

Re: Is there any point in hiring coach from overseas? John Wright did OK as a foreign coach though I still am not convinced if it was Wright or just having Laxman, Sehwag, Tendu and Dravid at their peaks during his time. The problem with greg Chappel was he was a terrible man-manager. He believed in creating insecurities for the players and in the process shattered their confidence. It is no coincidence that the South Austratia team was in tatters by the time Chappel left coaching is SA. Dave Whatmore is the guy I would like to see coaching. He has a proven track record with Sri Lanka and has improved Bangladesh. Tom Moody is my second choice.

John Wright did OK as a foreign coach though I still am not convinced if it was Wright or just having Laxman, Sehwag, Tendu and Dravid at their peaks during his time. The problem with greg Chappel was he was a terrible man-manager. He believed in creating insecurities for the players and in the process shattered their confidence. It is no coincidence that the South Austratia team was in tatters by the time Chappel left coaching is SA. Dave Whatmore is the guy I would like to see coaching. He has a proven track record with Sri Lanka and has improved Bangladesh. Tom Moody is my second choice.
John Wright was fine just for couple of years or three. Post world cup he had issues dealing with certain players too. He choose to quit rather than play around with egos. He was a good coach while he lasted but he had his issues too. I think India and Paksitan should stick to local coaches. There are way too many things for an overseas coach to worry about. Sri Lanka seems to be way different from Indian and Paksitan. The overseas coaches seems to have no problem blending with their cricketers.

Re: Is there any point in hiring coach from overseas? From what I heard Wright believed Ganguly's time as captain was over anyways he was luck to have an in form RD, Sehwag, Laxman and Tendu for a major part of his coaching stint. These 4 on form would make any coach look good !

Haven't you heard about SKC then? It is doing quite a bit of rounds of late. There have been many reports that says the players and the nation feels the overseas coaches cannot understand the emotion. These will be used as an excuse every time Indian players fail or the team fails to perform. If it is such a major reason and is going to hinder the overseas coach then why hire an overseas coach at all? I'm sure the players should have no problems speaking their mind with the local coach.
But the point is do you think there is any truth to this theory? Forget Chappell, but didn't Wright understand the emotions of the players, or Woolmer, or Moody, or Whatmore? One cant be making deicsions on how certain sections of the media or the public might perceive failure but on facts. And the fact is that coaches have been successful with subcontinent teams and there have been downright failures like Miandad and Bedi who were domestic. Nationality has nothing to do with being a successful coach. Another fact is that no coach can be held accountable if a team full of Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Sehwag loses to a $hit side like BD.

But the point is do you think there is any truth to this theory? Forget Chappell' date=' but didn't Wright understand the emotions of the players, or Woolmer, or Moody, or Whatmore? One cant be making deicsions on how certain sections of the media or the public might perceive failure but on facts. And the fact is that coaches have been successful with subcontinent teams and there have been downright failures like Miandad and Bedi who were domestic. Nationality has nothing to do with being a successful coach. Another fact is that no coach can be held accountable if a team full of Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Sehwag loses to a $hit side like BD.[/quote'] I'm with you on that surely. I agree completely with what you are saying but the players and the past cricketers think otherwise. I'm sure you will remember the ruckus made when John Wright raised few issues in the "Indian Summers". Even John Wright found it hard to deal with few established players and in the end he threw in the towel.

I'm with you on that surely. I agree completely with what you are saying but the players and the past cricketers think otherwise. I'm sure you will remember the ruckus made when John Wright raised few issues in the "Indian Summers". Even John Wright found it hard to deal with few established players and in the end he threw in the towel.
Ravi, for that the change has to come from within. The egos in the team would have to be toned down one way or the other. To do that, a foreign coach infact stands a better chance than an Indian one. I am not totally convinced about Amarnath's coaching credentials but his personality is one where he would take on the egos in the team and we would have the same issue of a coach not being able to deal with the players. I would rather have a coach trying to quell these prima donnas and have a few fights on the way rather than someone just sitting in the corner and letting them have it their way.