Chappell on Chappell

If there was any chance of Greg Chappell continuing his tenure as coach of India it probably disappeared when Bob Woolmer was murdered during the World Cup. Such an ugly incident is sure to focus your concentration on life's priorities. As much as it would seem that Greg is probably better off without all the angst that comes with one of the most demanding jobs in cricket I doubt he'll feel completely fulfilled. A perfectionist, even one who has mellowed, is never going to be happy with under-achieving on his expectations. Greg's only rationale for playing cricket was to win. I can guarantee that, because we had the same tutor: our father Martin. Greg's approach in his latest role would have been exactly the same, to do everything he could to help India win. Greg is a respectful person but there is no point in trying to be like an Indian when you've been employed because of your knowledge and experience as an Australian cricketer. For example, in Sachin Tendulkar's recent comments he said: "No coach had mentioned even in passing that my attitude was not correct." As a cricketer Greg was always trying to better himself, especially his mental approach to the game. Improvement doesn't come without constantly challenging yourself and also responding to the demands of your team-mates, something that happened regularly in the Australian team. Having seen Tendulkar struggle in recent times Greg would accept it as part of his job to challenge the him to resurrect his batting in order to help India win matches. That is not questioning a player's attitude, that is called striving for improvement. Greg was one of the best half a dozen all-round fieldsmen I've seen; he's up there with Neil Harvey, Viv Richards, Mark Waugh, Mohammad Azharuddin and Ricky Ponting and it would have grated that many of India's best batsmen were slouches in the field. To see senior players just going through the motions in the field would have been enough to send Greg off on a search for young players who could field. However, they would also have needed to be good at another skill and hence his early push to get younger, more athletic cricketers into the team. The fact that his tenure as Indian coach was less than satisfactory for both Greg and the team is probably a good indication that the system producing young cricketers needs more than just a bit of fine tuning. The day before he resigned, a "Kerry Packer'-style proposal was put forward for Indian cricket, which suggests Greg isn't the only one who thinks the system needs a large overhaul.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/extracover/content/current/story/288909.html A terrible article in my view. 1. Linking Woolmer's murder to Chappell's resignation is downright foolish. 2. Accusing Tendulkar to be part of some "mafia" is questioning his attitude and not suggesting him ways to improve. 3. Yes, there is a lot wrong with the Indian system but Chappell promised a good WC despite those faults, which he failed to deliver on. I would have preferred Ian had not written on Greg and his resignation at all because as a brother and long time team mate it could not have been an objective assessment but making completely useless comments was uncalled for.

Re: Chappell on Chappell Well one is helping the disgraced one to save his reputation as a coach built on his previous successful stint :lmao: And the glorious memories of childhood include the moment of genius of the art of underarm bowling

Re: Chappell on Chappell 1. Linking Woolmer's murder to Chappell's resignation is downright foolish. Shwethab, Think about this for a minute. If you were in his shoes, would you be looking at the mysterious death of one of your peers on the job before considering and extension if it was going to be offered(whether offered or not is not relevant). Chappell and Woolmer both are foreigners training teams that are followed madly and I would think this incident would have created an instance for him to think "what's more important" 2. Accusing Tendulkar to be part of some "mafia" is questioning his attitude and not suggesting him ways to improve. This was never mentioned by Greg or Ian but quoted by media as "heard from sources". Tendulkar being a victim of a "mafia like fan base" who would go to any extend is a known fact. And it is crystal clear fact that there is vested interest on keeping Tendulkar in the team(both inside and outside BCCI). Can you deny that? 3. Yes, there is a lot wrong with the Indian system but Chappell promised a good WC despite those faults, which he failed to deliver on. Yes he did preach that the players need to perform and it can turn gold for India but what happenned can he do both meaning "promise and perform in field". Dont you think a coach has to be vocal and strong in voicing his opinions so that both sides of the eisle clearly knows where he stands. He was gunning for India's victory but never happenned. Is he at fault. Yes he is to some extend but we all know it is not him alone. Its collective failure. The performance talks for itself! I dont see anything wrong with Ian voicing his concerns for Greg Chappell. He is a paid columnist and is entitled to have his opinion whether someone values it or not.

Re: Chappell on Chappell

1. Linking Woolmer's murder to Chappell's resignation is downright foolish. Shwethab, Think about this for a minute. If you were in his shoes, would you be looking at the mysterious death of one of your peers on the job before considering and extension if it was going to be offered(whether offered or not is not relevant). Chappell and Woolmer both are foreigners training teams that are followed madly and I would think this incident would have created an instance for him to think "what's more important"
Woolmer's death is still shrouded in mystery. Who knows whats the cause behind it? And its not been exactly a regular occurance in world cricket for it to be a rule rather than an aberration/exception. If I was in Chappell's shoes....hmmm....sure I would be concerned about the murder of one of my colleagues but to immediately link it to the fanatic following of the sport in India and Pakistan would not been my conclusion. Murder is a huge thing and there are very few things in the world worth killing for. There is more to Woolmer's murder than an early exit from the WC for Pakistan. Somehow I have always got the impression that a significant number of Aussies have an uncomfortable feeling towards the subcontinent. I am pretty certain there would have been calls for withdrawing from the WC if such an incident had happened in the subcontinent. Remember, in the '96 WC how Aus refused to play in SL despite LTTE giving an explicit statement that they would not do anything to disrupt the WC and the SL govt making the best security arrangements.
2. Accusing Tendulkar to be part of some "mafia" is questioning his attitude and not suggesting him ways to improve. This was never mentioned by Greg or Ian but quoted by media as "heard from sources". Tendulkar being a victim of a "mafia like fan base" who would go to any extend is a known fact. And it is crystal clear fact that there is vested interest on keeping Tendulkar in the team(both inside and outside BCCI). Can you deny that?
The "mafia" being referred to was formation of a "mafia" within the team in which juniors were feeling victimized. And if Greg did not say it, as quoted by the media, then Tendulkar also had an "IF" behind his statement. How come Ian ignores that?
3. Yes, there is a lot wrong with the Indian system but Chappell promised a good WC despite those faults, which he failed to deliver on. Yes he did preach that the players need to perform and it can turn gold for India but what happenned can he do both meaning "promise and perform in field". Dont you think a coach has to be vocal and strong in voicing his opinions so that both sides of the eisle clearly knows where he stands. He was gunning for India's victory but never happenned. Is he at fault. Yes he is to some extend but we all know it is not him alone. Its collective failure. The performance talks for itself!
I have been consistently saying that beating a team like BD does not require a coach and even if you have the worst coach in the world India should not have lost to BD. And neither do I believe that Chappell is th eworst coach in the world. He had some very good ideas, some he could implement and some he could not. However, the bottom line is that he knew the Indian system and promised a good show in the WC with full knowledge of it. Not only a disappointing but terrible show is the result and he is surely partly responsible for it. Why then does he resign citing "personal reasons" rather than "inability to live upto job requirements" and why does Ian try to befuddle the issue by bringing in other ills of Indian cricket rather than focus on Greg's performance, which was the subject of the article?

If there was any chance of Greg Chappell continuing his tenure as coach of India it probably disappeared when Bob Woolmer was murdered during the World Cup.
This would have credibility only if G. Chappell had announced soon after the world cup that he won't be returning. Given that he vehemently denied that he will be resigning and decided later that he would indeed resign indicates that he quit only because of developments (like deteriorating situation with the seniors, probably leaked info from the board that he won't be retained) since his return.

Re: Chappell on Chappell Okay, a few things to consider about Chappelli : 1. His brother is the coach of India ffs ! How can you expect a man who still visits his mother to slam his younger brother in the press ? I dunno about you but if i were Ian and my younger bro was Greg, mom would've been royally pissed at me if i slammed Greg in public. Fook integrity and all that - its just a frigging game and i ain't creating family problems for the sake of a frigging sport ! 2. Chappelli had a mighty tussle with Sir Don in the mid 70s. After that, Chappelli is pretty much the 'anti-establishment/anti-hero' guy. He's pillored Lillee, Ponting, Lara, etc. in the past and now he will pillor Tendulkar. Simply because Ian tends to always lash out at the greats/players who are percieved as icons and 'bigger than the game'. Its second nature to him and i am saying this after reading Ian's writing for the last 5 years or so.

1. His brother is the coach of India ffs ! How can you expect a man who still visits his mother to slam his younger brother in the press ? I dunno about you but if i were Ian and my younger bro was Greg, mom would've been royally pissed at me if i slammed Greg in public. Fook integrity and all that - its just a frigging game and i ain't creating family problems for the sake of a frigging sport !
And thats precisely why I noted in my OP that given Greg is his brother, Ian should have not written about him at all instead of trying to pass an "objective" judgement on Greg's tenure. If cricinfo came upto him, he could have easily said "Hey, I dont think I can write an unbiased piece on this". Whats the point of creating unnecessary controversy with lies and half truths?
Simply because Ian tends to always lash out at the greats/players who are percieved as icons and 'bigger than the game'. Its second nature to him and i am saying this after reading Ian's writing for the last 5 years or so.
Doing so on the basis of lies and half truths is unprofessional and unethical.