Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks

Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks Reuters | Posted Apr 05, 2007 at 21:06 | Updated Apr 05, 2007 at 21:15 Text Size: S- / S+ CommentsRSS Email Print Dhaka: The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) criticised coach Dav Whatmore on Thursday after he expressed his interest in succeeding Greg Chappell as India coach. The BCB were annoyed as Whatmore put his hand up for the Indian job while his current charges were still involved in a World Cup campaign in the Caribbean. "We are in the middle of a very high-profile tournament. At this stage any such interest of the coach would certainly distract our team," Riazuddin Al Mamun, a joint-secretary of the BCB, said. "He should not have said so, when we have a contract with him." The Sri-Lankan born Whatmore confirmed his interest in taking over the reins in India after Chappell handed in his resignation on Wednesday, two weeks after the 1983 champions' first-round exit from the World Cup. "If the opportunity comes along, surely any person who is a professional coach and prides himself in doing a good job would be interested in coaching the Indian team," Whatmore had told CNN-IBN. Whatmore coached Sri Lanka to World Cup success in 1996 and has worked wonders with the Bangladesh team, who effectively condemned India to an early flight home from the Caribbean after a surprise victory in the group phase of the competition. Bangladesh reached the second round of the tournament for the first time this year but remain rooted to the bottom of the standings after suffering heavy defeats against Australia and New Zealand in their opening two Super Eights matches. Whatmore's present contract with the BCB ends in May. He took charge of the team in the aftermath of 2003 World Cup, where Bangladesh failed to win any of their six matches including those against Canada and Kenya.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks "We are in the middle of a very high-profile tournament. At this stage any such interest of the coach would certainly distract our team," Riazuddin Al Mamun, a joint-secretary of the BCB, said. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ....how would this distract the world beating BD??

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks

"We are in the middle of a very high-profile tournament. At this stage any such interest of the coach would certainly distract our team," Riazuddin Al Mamun, a joint-secretary of the BCB, said. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ....how would this distract the world beating BD??
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks if you look at it from BD's pov, what they say makes sense. how can a coach who is in the middle of a contract and a world cup make a statement about interest in another coaching job? from india's POV it is a good thing. he might be a good choice.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks lets see ... the allure of managing India has to be pretty strong .. especially for a chap who seemingly loves challenges. Hopefully we can channel the existing rancour throughout the country for the improvement of the team.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks i think, he is wasting his time coaching liiliputs.... Bangladesh was, is and always will be a team which creates upsets than a consistent world beater.... it will prolly rank as the slowest growing team..... Heck, Zimbabwe drew its first ever series.... SA - were so impressive inspite of a 30 yr ban.... SL was not so bad..... they used to give a stiff fight in the 80s... this minnow has been raped by all and sundry..... distributing world records to haydens, inzimamas and everyone..... honestly, they should get themselves tauseef ahmed or some shyte as their coach....

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks if whatmore will be our new coach i dont want him before we visit BD. I dont want to hear BD fans crib and give a sorry excuse that whatmore gave away all team secrets which helped India beat the $*** out of them.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks

if whatmore will be our new coach i dont want him before we visit BD. I dont want to hear BD fans crib and give a sorry excuse that whatmore gave away all team secrets which helped India beat the $*** out of them.
Hm. So you do expect India to beat the living daylights out of poor Bangladesh, eh? Rightly too! Let's just hope the 'interim coach' the BCCI talks about is someone smart like Ravi Shastri. Just to see how he can handle being the coach.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks well you can see the difference in Whatmore's approach and Moody's approach. when asked, Moody has stayed clear of this very problem by saying "I am the SL coach - i am in the middle of an important tournament. i will address these questions when my contract ends". You cant argue against the Bangla response - a coach who has done them a lot of good and has been a good mentor and motivator, while preparing them for the next game goes and says "yeah I actually want to be India's coach". then again Whatmore saw the $$$$, and he wanted to put his foot in the door. get his response in first before anyone else. apna sapna money money.... honestly though, i dont think it is just monetary reasons that these respected guys want to take up different jobs. Whatmore has the expertise, and he probably has a few ideas which he thinks will be helpful for India. Isnt that the basis of coaching anyways - to pass your knowledge to help others become better players? by saying that "oh Whatmore just wants money" we are only cheapening that noble ambition.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks its a lil bit of both money as well as ambition..... heck, who would not want to work on a larger scale.... there is a distinct difference between moody's position and Whatmore's... Moody has highly skilled cricketers to work with with good backing from the board both morally and monetarily.... Whatmore is literally working in a dump, helping guys who are taking forever to learn the game and can still claim to beat only one team, namely zimbabwe.... he is paid a pittance.... heck, i think, he wouldnt mind paying them to let him go, if there is no get-out clause in his contract....

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks Absolutely Gator...Moody's and Whatmore's situations are like chalk and cheese.....Whatmore obviously sees this as a HUGE challenge,the monetary aspect is enticing as well...also Moody knows SL are doing great and have a decent shot at this Wcup which is not at all the case with BD.

Re: Bangladesh irked by Whatmore remarks Yup it's not fair on Whatmore to be showing desire while the tourney is still going on. That said he may reckon if he doesn't express his interest now he may miss out??? It's nice to be in a situation like this though. Despite expressing interest if he is not picked up by the BCCI he will stand a chance of souring the relation with the current employers as well. I would have thought he may wanted to have a word with BCCI privately rather than to the media.