And it starts again -> match fixing during WC

An audio cassette, which contains several conversations between two bookies and Indian cricketers, is being investigated by the police. They believe the conversations could lead them to several instances of match-fixing during the World Cup in Jamaica. The police special squad have also seized four mobile phones and have printouts of all the calls made from the phones, which they believe could link the suspected cricketers and the two bookies. The squad confiscated the phones and the tape when the bookies were arrested on March 28. The cassette has been sent with voice samples of the bookies and the cricketers to the Central Forensic Laboratory in Chandigarh to prove they match. The facts came to light when Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) officials in a remand application before an Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate pointed out that they wanted to extend the arrests of Madan Jain and his brother Narendra Jain for further investigations. The three-page documents available with MiD DAY indicates that the extended remand was necessary to probe the alleged nexus between the cricketers and the bookies. The development assumes significance in the light of the fact that the murder of Pakistani cricket coach Bob Woolmer could have been a fallout of crossing swords with bookies. The role of an organised betting syndicate has not been ruled out in his murder. Additional Commissioner of Police (ATS) Param Bir Singh was not available for comments despite repeated efforts. ATS chief K P Raghuvanshi is also not in Mumbai. Chal, bet laga A one-DAY International (ODI) cricket match could ring in more than Rs 500 crore in betting circles. Earlier, the Mumbai police began investigating into the match-fixing scam when bookie Shoban Kalachowkie received threats from gangster Dawood Ibrahim?s second-in-command Chhota Shakeel in 2000. Dawood had inside information that a Sri Lanka-New Zealand match was fixed. The big-time bookies were soon provided security by the Mumbai police and the threats ended in ?sauda fok? or no payments in underworld lingo. The match was worth around Rs 200 crore by conservative estimates. In almost all cases the investigations have died down due to external pressure.

Re: And it starts again -> match fixing during WC Only Cricketers involved? No way. Firstly, I am not ready to believe in match fixing theories for the sake of love for this game. However...If at all there exists a match fixing..this time it may be in due agreement with ICC, considering the amount they can generate, which otherwise is difficult for them. Players alone may not take such a risk. Holysmoke babua..iss Taza Khabar ka koi link mil jaataa toh...badee kirpaa hotee.. Jai siyaram.

Re: And it starts again -> match fixing during WC Look even CNN reporters gave the impression that lot of fixing happens. I am 100% sure that some players are regularly involved. Nothing in this world is clean so what makes you think that cricket is clean?

Re: And it starts again -> match fixing during WC

Dawood had inside information that a Sri Lanka-New Zealand match was fixed.
That is such a lame statement really. Every game they say was match fixed. There is absolutely no truth to it. From what I know a lot of cops do it for some cheap publicity too. I don't believe everyone is clean in cricket but majority of them surely are. One odd player will not spoil the sport and cannot influence an entire team to lose. This is an absolute baseless allegations. Wonder whatever happened to the Samuels one BTW?

Re: And it starts again -> match fixing during WC

Dawood had inside information that a Sri Lanka-New Zealand match was fixed.
That is such a lame statement really. Every game they say was match fixed. There is absolutely no truth to it. From what I know a lot of cops do it for some cheap publicity too. I don't believe everyone is clean in cricket but majority of them surely are. One odd player will not spoil the sport and cannot influence an entire team to lose. This is an absolute baseless allegations. Wonder whatever happened to the Samuels one BTW?
Ravi this report souns like cr@p I agree but buying off 3-5 players in a team is not as difficult as you think :chin:
Guest dada_rocks

Re: And it starts again -> match fixing during WC fixing mathc againt srilanak so that india wud have stayed in the game wud be win-win for everyone but it didn;t happen.. crap report i wud say