Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain Cant complain about these appointments but now is the time for the real work to begin. But by now the BCCI babus would be too tired and will call it an early end to the meeting tomorrow and leave for home. The Indian public will be happy that Chappell is gone, Dravid stayed, and the appointment of the new coach is being given thought while a popular interim coach has been appointed.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain I feared that Gavaskar, the politician, might be asked to do the job. Ravi is one of the least political Indians, u will ever come across. I hope he accepts a permanent position as coach.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain

I feared that Gavaskar' date=' the politician, might be asked to do the job. Ravi is one of the least political Indians, u will ever come across. I hope he accepts a permanent position as coach.[/quote'] He doesn't have any coaching credentials, neither does Gavaskar.

I feared that Gavaskar' date=' the politician, might be asked to do the job. Ravi is one of the least political Indians, u will ever come across. I hope he accepts a permanent position as coach.[/quote'] He doesn't have any coaching credentials, neither does Gavaskar.
He doesnt need those credentials. Just have to be a good manager! Get specilist for each areas: bowling, fielding. You dont need a batting coach for tendulkar or dravids. Shastri can dictate strategies and can articulate it really well! :wtg:

I feared that Gavaskar' date=' the politician, might be asked to do the job. Ravi is one of the least political Indians, u will ever come across. I hope he accepts a permanent position as coach.[/quote'] None of them have any coaching experience and I find too much of hyperbole in Ravi Shastri's commentary. He contradicts himself a number of times. So I'm not very sure. But I'm glad that all those news about Sachin getting the captainship was just a rumour. I'd have preferred Patil as interim coach.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain This is the best news! I was so scared it might be Kapil, Gavaskar or Srikant. Imagine the high handedness of Kapil, he makes a statement 'urging' Gavaskar to take over as coach. Who the hell is he to decide?? And that Gavaskar is the biggest snob. Ravi Shastri has a sound cricketing knowledge. He is a cool customer.

He doesnt need those credentials. Just have to be a good manager!
There is already a manager with the team in all series.
You dont need a batting coach for tendulkar or dravids.
Can you say the same thing about the Sehwags, Yuvrajs, and Uthappas though?
Shastri can dictate strategies and can articulate it really well!
Dravid and Tendulkar have no less a cricketing brain and strategies. We need a bowling coach, no doubt. However, the coach should be one with proven credentials of having gelled a strong team, with strong work ethics.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain Terrible choice. Don't see how he deserves it ahead of someone like Patil. Anyways, BCCI guy claims no decisions have been made including making offer to Shastri. Supposedly will be only after the working committe meetings tomorrow.

I was so scared it might be Kapil' date=' Gavaskar or Srikant. Imagine the high handedness of Kapil, he makes a statement 'urging' Gavaskar to take over as coach. Who the hell is he to decide?? [/quote'] a concerned cricket legend.. ? :chin: :chin: shashtri should be given two or three good series.. if he delievers give him the perm. position.. but question is will he take it?? its no joke to be an Indian coach... IMO, he was the best Indian commentrator.. but coaching is different ball game..

I feared that Gavaskar' date=' the politician, might be asked to do the job. Ravi is one of the least political Indians, u will ever come across. I hope he accepts a permanent position as coach.[/quote'] None of them have any coaching experience and I find too much of hyperbole in Ravi Shastri's commentary. He contradicts himself a number of times. So I'm not very sure. But I'm glad that all those news about Sachin getting the captainship was just a rumour. I'd have preferred Patil as interim coach.
Things i like about Ravi Shastri: 1) He is a forward thinking, non political individual. Gavaskar is the opposite, who is an old school, politicial individual. 2) Ravi doesnt give a damn about reputations. Tendu or Ganguly cannot sit on their laurels for too long without performing under him. Whereas Gavaskar is very biased towards our high profile stars & believes in rendering unconditional support to them. 3) Ravi was considered one of the best cricketing brains of his times & prolly the best captain we never had. India does not need a coach who has a great record. We need someone to keep our prima donnas in check & help inject more youngsters into the team. Basically we need someone to do what Chappell was trying to do, without Chappell's high handedness. An Indian like Shastri would be much more easily accepted by the players. If not, atleast Shastri will help communicate to the board the real issues with the team/seniors from an Indian perspective. Surely that cannot be dismissed like they did Chappell's. BTW, as we speak, BCCI thinks Chappell should continue in some other role with Indian cricket. Chaps will be asked to take up some NCA position