Prasad - Bowling coach

What do you guys think about this selection? I'm sure everyone agrees that we needed a bowling coach quite desperately. But this guy? After a good first year, he fizzled out. He wasn't fast. His line and length stuff used to be mutilated by Sanath. His stock ball was the slower one. He's a poor choice IMO.

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach But he was a damn good big match player. He won two world cup games for us vs Pakistan. He made good use of his limited skills. May be someone who can understand the mindset of an ordinary Indian bowler better ?

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach As a bowler he was average but why should that be held against him . It's not that Tom Moody was exceptional as a player . But as a coach he is very good. Also, Prasad as a coach he has been reasonably good. Remember all the success he had with under 19 India team. But With Ravi Shastri as our coach , I think we should try to get his pal akram as our bowling coach. Who knows , Pathan may rediscover his 2004 form under his stewardship. Plus he has the respect of Indian players.

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach

But he was a damn good big match player. He won two world games for us vs Pakistan.
Just two matches made him a big match player? Anyway, after his first year(in test cricket which was awesome), I never held him in high regard. His much touted leg cutter was worked out and he became extremely predictable. He should have used his height to extract awkward bounce but he never did. I don't know what secrets can impart to our bowlers. Line and length. Maybe. But that's it. Look where line and length took Pathan. We need a bowling coach that hones our bowler's natural talent, skills and proclivities. Not someone who completely overhauls their bowling basics and imposes himself on them completely.

Not someone who completely overhauls their bowling basics and imposes himself on them completely.
...and what gives you the idea that he will "impose himself" on India's bowlers ?
The imposition part was about what my ideal coach shouldn't do. Not Prasad.
Gambit bhai we are not having him as a bowler again! Chill! Greggy was a legendary batsman did that make all out batsman legendary No.
Yaar, he was THE coach. Not the batting coach. Our cricketers will only listen to someone who was actually good at what they did. Do you think our stars will listen to a guy who was a failure at the international level(not referring to Prasad here)?

But he was a damn good big match player. He won two world games for us vs Pakistan.
Just two matches made him a big match player? Anyway, after his first year(in test cricket which was awesome), I never held him in high regard. His much touted leg cutter was worked out and he became extremely predictable. He should have used his height to extract awkward bounce but he never did. I don't know what secrets can impart to our bowlers. Line and length. Maybe. But that's it. Look where line and length took Pathan. We need a bowling coach that hones our bowler's natural talent, skills and proclivities. Not someone who completely overhauls their bowling basics and imposes himself on them completely.
Gambit he is not appointed coach because he was the best bowler going around. Prasad was appointed coach because he is a Level 3 coach, has experience in coaching and specializes in bowling department in coaching. It has nothing to do with how great a bowler he has, how fast he was bowling or the skills he had as a bowler. Moreover just because you have certain skills you can't get everyone to do that too. Bowling skills and ability to do certain things depends on action. An overhaul of bowling action is never really done by any coach by what I know. There is more to coaching bowling than just merely stating to a bowler to bowl line and length.

Just two matches made him a big match player?
Which Indian pacer has delivered consistently on big occasions ? Two matches may not make him a big match player, but definitely shows, he's got the mental strength to deliver when odds are stacked against him. And that with his limited talent, is definitely noticeable.
Anyway, after his first year(in test cricket which was awesome), I never held him in high regard. His much touted leg cutter was worked out and he became extremely predictable. He should have used his height to extract awkward bounce but he never did. I don't know what secrets can impart to our bowlers. Line and length. Maybe. But that's it. Look where line and length took Pathan. We need a bowling coach that hones our bowler's natural talent, skills and proclivities. Not someone who completely overhauls their bowling basics and imposes himself on them completely.
How do we know he will emphasize on line & length & kill pace ? And even if he focusses on line & length, am not so sure its such a bad thing. For every pacer, who lost his pace for line & length and went astray, there are equivalents, who lost their line & length for pace. For every Pathan there is a Malcolm Sami. If our bowlers can bowl 130ish regularly with Munaf's accuracy, they will be among the wickets. I dont mind if the bowler achieves pace naturally, but he should not strive for pace & get injured. Contrary to what many believe, i dont think Pathan is as talented. He was a one trick pony, who could bend the ball only one way. He never had exhilarating pace. When his only trick got found out, he had nothing to fall back to. He will continue to suffer until he develops more variations and/or learns to consistently bowl in the 130s

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach Coaches can't overhaul any cricketer's batting style or bowling action at international level - it's impossible. Cricketers don't get to this stage by being mugs; they already have the foundations in place and their technique is set in stone. Coaches are only there for providing assistance with the mental aspect of the game - ie; strategy and temperament. Minor adjustments are made at best, ie; a batsman changing his stance, or a bowler shortening or lengthening his run-up or release. That is the most that can be accomplished by a coach - the rest is all on the player's shoulders. I couldn't care less what Prasad was like as a player - he has done a FANTASTIC JOB as an Indian u19 coach. Judge the coach by the results. Prasad's Indians beat their Australian counterparts 4-1 at home, and then emerged victorious in the six nation Afro-Asian tournament; winning each and every match they played. They played superbly in the World Cup, up until that semi-final where a freak performance by the p@ki bowlers proved to be their undoing. Under Prasad, young players like Gaurav Dhiman, Piyush Chawla, Yo Mahesh, Rohit Sharma and Pujara have flourished; as evidenced by their progression from the youth ranks to becoming permanent fixtures in their respective state sides at Ranji level. Under Prasad, the team looked united and played a very aggressive brand of cricket - big hitting batsmen at the top of the order and combative fast bowlers unafraid to bend their backs. What more could you ask for ? His influence on Karnataka was telling as well - as last season; a once gutless and underachieving team which merely made up the numbers was galvanised into a tightly-knit outfit with young players like Chipli, Chogule, etc. coming to the fore and winning the side matches from supposedly unassailable positions. Karnataka came back from behind to beat defending champs UP and top FC sides like Baroda - eventually reaching the Ranji trophy semi-finals for the first time since '00. Venky has done all the hard yards to pursue his ambitions; he has worked with young talent and overseen their development successfully. He undoubtedly has what it takes to manage at international level, and his track record is indicative of this. Of course; what i said about Patil applies to him as well - the point that if he takes a position on the coaching staff of the Indian cricket team; the BCCI need to clear out the seniors and give him a group of youngsters to work with. This is what these two coaches do best...the seniors in the side would only impede the team's development - like i said earlier; they are like cancer. I for one would love to see a young Indian side coached by Patil and Prasad.

Just two matches made him a big match player?
Which Indian pacer has delivered consistently on big occasions ? Two matches may not make him a big match player, but definitely shows, he's got the mental strength to deliver when odds are stacked against him. And that with his limited talent, is definitely noticeable.
Anyway, after his first year(in test cricket which was awesome), I never held him in high regard. His much touted leg cutter was worked out and he became extremely predictable. He should have used his height to extract awkward bounce but he never did. I don't know what secrets can impart to our bowlers. Line and length. Maybe. But that's it. Look where line and length took Pathan. We need a bowling coach that hones our bowler's natural talent, skills and proclivities. Not someone who completely overhauls their bowling basics and imposes himself on them completely.
How do we know he will emphasize on line & length & kill pace ? And even if he focusses on line & length, am not so sure its such a bad thing. For every pacer, who lost his pace for line & length and went astray, there are equivalents, who lost their line & length for pace. For every Pathan there is a Malcolm Sami. If our bowlers can bowl 130ish regularly with Munaf's accuracy, they will be among the wickets. I dont mind if the bowler achieves pace naturally, but he should not strive for pace & get injured. Contrary to what many believe, i dont think Pathan is as talented. He was a one trick pony, who could bend the ball only one way. He never had exhilarating pace. When his only trick got found out, he had nothing to fall back to. He will continue to suffer until he develops more variations and/or learns to consistently bowl in the 130s
Nehra,Zaheer,Srinath in WC 2003. Pathan was awesome before he fell apart in WI. Also, I don't agree with this limited talent excuse. It's so easy to glorify a distinctly mediocre cricketer using this phrase. Anyway, I don't think he had limited talent. In his first year,he bowled beautifully and with hostility at times(in England '96). A limited cricketer could not have done that. I would attribute his downfall to two things: - SRT overburdening him - Him failing to add anything else to his repertoire He just became too predictable. Regarding his imminent coaching role, my view is that he will not significantly improve anyone of our fast bowlers. And this is based on what he did as a bowler. I would love to be proven wrong of course.