Sign in to follow this  
varun

SuperSelector: New: Aus vs Eng ODI, ICC World Cricket League Division , SA vs WI Tests

SuperSelector: New: Aus vs Eng ODI, ICC World Cricket League Division , SA vs WI Tests  

1. 1.

It's accessible via the Top Menu (Games->Super Selector), or just visit this link: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/index.php?pageid=superselector HOW TO SELECT YOUR TEAM

• Click on a team name to open it and view the players
  • Click on "[+]" to select players into your team
  • Click on "[-]" to remove players from your team
  • When all rules are satisfied (Shown on the left), you will be able to save your team
HOW TO SUBSTITUTE
  • Click on a team name to open it and view the players
  • Click on "[+]" to select players to substitute in
  • Click on "[-]" to select players from your team to substitute out
  • Each substitution will cost a fixed number of points (by default 50, details below)
  • When all rules are satisfied (Shown on the left), you will be able to save your team

Substitution rules:

• Till the first match starts : Edit your team as often as you want. (Open)
  • After the first match starts till the last match ends: (Started)
    • If you have NOT Entered a team:
      • If a match is going on, You cannot edit your team

• If no matches going on, you can still create your team, however you will start at 0 points. You might notice a negative substitution adjustment to keep your points at 0 to begin with.

• If you HAVE entered a team:
      • If a match is going on, You cannot edit your team

• If no matches going on then substitutions allowed with a penalty:
        • It costs a fixed number of points per substitution (it can be adjusted for each superselector and is indicated on the page for that superselector once substitutions are active).

• Use the standard [-] and [+] links to add substitutions, and [x] to remove any temporary substitutions. If you are wondering what the "Substitution Adjustments" are, they are there to compensate for you choosing a new player who has a lot of points already (negative adjustment), or if you are dropping a player who got you a lot of points for someone new (positive adjustment). Basically, if you are currently on 1000 points, and you make a substitution, you go to (1000 - substitutuion_cost) points regardless of who you substitute.

Point Scoring system: The formula below is something that I was reasonably satisfied with, but is subject to change. Along with the usual metrics, it takes into account the strike rate, the economy rate, the importance of run-rate (i.e. the match format), extras given (wides/noballs) and other criteria as well.

if(match->type == "[B]50-over[/B]") {
  parStrikeRate = 0.83;   containmentWeight = 1;   
  fifty = 5;  century = 10;   four = 0.5;  six = 1;  
  maiden = 5;  wicket = 20;  wide = -1;  noball = -2;  
  catch = 8;  runout = 8;  
  stumping = 10;  keeperCatch = 5;  keeperRunout = 5;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]5-day[/B]") {
  parStrikeRate = 0.4;  containmentWeight = 0.3;  
  fifty = 5;  century = 10;  four = 0.2;  six = 0.5;
  maiden = 1;  wicket = 30;  wide = -0.5;  noball = -0.5;  
  catch = 10;  runout = 10;  
  stumping = 15;  keeperCatch = 7;  keeperRunout = 7;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]4-day[/B]" || "[B]3-day[/B]") {
  parStrikeRate = 0.5;  containmentWeight = 0.4;  
  fifty = 5;  century = 10;  four = 0.2;  six = 0.5;
  maiden = 1;  wicket = 30;  wide = -0.5;  noball = -0.5;  
  catch = 10;  runout = 10;  
  stumping = 15;  keeperCatch = 7;  keeperRunout = 7;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]20-over[/B]") {
  parStrikeRate = 1.2;  containmentWeight = 2.0;  
  fifty = 8;  century = 15;  four = 0.7;  six = 1.2; 
  maiden = 7;  wicket = 20;  wide = -1;  noball = -3;  
  catch = 8;  runout = 8;  
  stumping = 10;  keeperCatch = 5;  keeperRunout = 5;
}

[B]Batting Points:[/B]
runs_scored + containmentWeight*(runs_scored- balls_faced*parStrikeRate) + fours_hit*four + sixes_hit*six 
+ (runs_scored > 100 ? century : (runs_scored > 50 ? fifty : 0));

[B]Bowling Points:[/B]
(balls_bowled > 0 ? containmentWeight*(parStrikeRate-runs_given/balls_bowled)*balls_bowled : 0) 
+ maidens_bowled*maiden + wickets_taken*wicket 
+ wides_bowled*wide + noballs_bowled*noball;

[B]Fielding Points:[/B]
(special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperCatch : catch)*catches 
+ (special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperRunout : runout)*runouts 
+ stumping*stumpings";

[B]Total Points = Batting Score + Bowling Score + Fielding Score[/B]

How do I play this? Can you please post a "Superselector for Dummies" FAQ. Thx. PS: I know how to select the initial team...but how often can I change my team? When can I do so? What extra rules? Those are the things I'd like to know about.

How do I play this? Can you please post a "Superselector for Dummies" FAQ. Thx. PS: I know how to select the initial team...but how often can I change my team? When can I do so? What extra rules? Those are the things I'd like to know about.
Substitution rules: - Till the first match starts : Edit your team as often as you want. - After the first match starts till the last match ends: - If a match is going on, You cannot edit your team - If no matches going on then substitutions allowed with a penalty (depending on the players being traded) [ this part is unimplemented, but will hopefully be done by the time the matches start ]

Substitution rules: - Till the first match starts : Edit your team as often as you want. - After the first match starts till the last match ends: - If a match is going on, You cannot edit your team - If no matches going on then substitutions allowed with a penalty (depending on the players being traded) [ this part is unimplemented, but will hopefully be done by the time the matches start ]
Thanks for the info. What is the "penalty" for substitution. Can you give one or two examples in your next post? Appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. What is the "penalty" for substitution. Can you give one or two examples in your next post? Appreciate it.
Your Player has A Points Player you want has B Points if (B > A), Penalty = (B-A) + 50 if (A > B), Penalty = 50 Some more General Info on the SS: (I should really take all these posts and put them on the OP - will do later) - Matches are considered over 10 hours after the start of the last day of play of the match. - Points are automatically updated periodically after every 15 minutes.

And how are the points awarded ? Is points/runs or points/50 or 100 ? How many points for a catch etc?
if(match->type == "[B]ODI[/B]") {
  # ODI Formula
  parStrikeRate = 0.7;
  containmentWeight = 1;
  fifty = 5;
  century = 10;
  four = 0.5;
  six = 1;
  maiden = 5;
  wicket = 20;
  wide = -1;
  noball = -2;
  catch = 8;
  runout = 8;
  stumping = 10;
  keeperCatch = 5;
  keeperRunout = 5;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]Test[/B]") {
  # Test Formula
  parStrikeRate = 0.4;
  containmentWeight = 0.3;
  fifty = 5;
  century = 10;
  four = 0.2;
  six = 0.5;
  maiden = 1;
  wicket = 30;
  wide = -0.5;
  noball = -0.5;
  catch = 10;
  runout = 10;
  stumping = 15;
  keeperCatch = 7;
  keeperRunout = 7;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]Twenty20 Int.[/B]") {
  # Twenty20 Formula
  parStrikeRate = 1.2;
  containmentWeight = 2.0;
  fifty = 8;
  century = 15;
  four = 0.7;
  six = 1.2;
  maiden = 7;
  wicket = 20;
  wide = -1;
  noball = -3;
  catch = 8;
  runout = 8;
  stumping = 10;
  keeperCatch = 5;
  keeperRunout = 5;
}

2*runs_scored - balls_faced*parStrikeRate + fours_hit*four + sixes_hit*six + (runs_scored > 100 ? century : (runs_scored > 50 ? fifty : 0));

(balls_bowled > 0 ? containmentWeight*(parStrikeRate-runs_given/balls_bowled)*balls_bowled : 0) + maidens_bowled*maiden + wickets_taken*wicket - wides_bowled*wide - noballs_bowled*noball;

(special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperCatch : catch)*catches + (special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperRunout : runout)*runouts + stumping*stumpings";

The above formula is something that I was reasonably satisfied with, but of course could be subject to change. Along with the usual metrics, it takes into account the strike rate, the economy rate, the importance of run-rate (i.e. the match format), extras given (wides/noballs), etc etc..

Looks like there is no points/cost for each player - so you don't have to select useless players just so that you can meet your allotted budget - is this correct?
That's right. Just select your best XI

if(match->type == "[B]ODI[/B]") {
  # ODI Formula
  parStrikeRate = 0.7;
  containmentWeight = 1;
  fifty = 5;
  century = 10;
  four = 0.5;
  six = 1;
  maiden = 5;
  wicket = 20;
  wide = -1;
  noball = -2;
  catch = 8;
  runout = 8;
  stumping = 10;
  keeperCatch = 5;
  keeperRunout = 5;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]Test[/B]") {
  # Test Formula
  parStrikeRate = 0.4;
  containmentWeight = 0.3;
  fifty = 5;
  century = 10;
  four = 0.2;
  six = 0.5;
  maiden = 1;
  wicket = 30;
  wide = -0.5;
  noball = -0.5;
  catch = 10;
  runout = 10;
  stumping = 15;
  keeperCatch = 7;
  keeperRunout = 7;
}
else if(match->type == "[B]Twenty20 Int.[/B]") {
  # Twenty20 Formula
  parStrikeRate = 1.2;
  containmentWeight = 2.0;
  fifty = 8;
  century = 15;
  four = 0.7;
  six = 1.2;
  maiden = 7;
  wicket = 20;
  wide = -1;
  noball = -3;
  catch = 8;
  runout = 8;
  stumping = 10;
  keeperCatch = 5;
  keeperRunout = 5;
}

2*runs_scored - balls_faced*parStrikeRate + fours_hit*four + sixes_hit*six + (runs_scored > 100 ? century : (runs_scored > 50 ? fifty : 0));

(balls_bowled > 0 ? containmentWeight*(parStrikeRate-runs_given/balls_bowled)*balls_bowled : 0) + maidens_bowled*maiden + wickets_taken*wicket - wides_bowled*wide - noballs_bowled*noball;

(special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperCatch : catch)*catches + (special_role == 'keeper' ? keeperRunout : runout)*runouts + stumping*stumpings";

The above formula is something that I was reasonably satisfied with, but of course could be subject to change. Along with the usual metrics, it takes into account the strike rate, the economy rate, the importance of run-rate (i.e. the match format), extras given (wides/noballs), etc etc..

Great Stuff! :thumbs_up:

Btw @ Finey: Let me explain the substitution penalty a bit better. Since you get the points of the player you substitute, your actual penalty per substitution is 50 points. (the B-A is to nullify the effect of adding a player with more points)

Wow ... Puttar absolute facking brilliant work :adore:.... I love that Error Checking thing on the left ... Lot of hard work gone into making that Page ... Super cool :isalute:
Actually more work went into the Admin page :D

What is ParStrike rate and containment weight ? Pardon if i am asking mundane questions, this is the first time i am seeing this here.
It's just a reasonable number that I choose for a particular format. For example, I've set it to 0.7 for ODI's here (or 70 runs in 100 balls). If you score faster than that, you are rewarded appropriately, and if you score slower than that you are penalized accordingly. Same with bowling. If you give away less than 70 runs in 100 balls, you are rewarded, and so on. I toyed with the idea of extracting ParStrike rate from the match itself (by choose the average srike-rate for the whole match), but decided against it for now. I might still add that back in. Containment weight is an indicator of how important "containing batsmen" is for bowlers in this format. It's used to reward/penalize the bowlers when they give away less/more runs. This might as well be the first time you're seeing them here, as I've just made up the names.

code review revealed that varun actually failed to report the primary if condition. if (username=='varun') { userPoints = max of all user points + 1; } else if (format == 'ODI') { ...

code review revealed that varun actually failed to report the primary if condition. if (username=='varun') { userPoints = max of all user points + 1; } else if (format == 'ODI') { ...
:haha:

:hysterical::hysterical:

Nice one, varoony. It looks professional and fits in with the site's interface. Shabash beta. You should have a little box on the left hand side indicating top point scorers, league rankings and that kind of thing. Here is a format you can try copying --> http://www.jamieclague.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/image7.png
Thanks for the link Predz.. Something similar is in the works and will hopefully be up before India/Pak starts. Btw, whatchu doing moving to Edinburgh ?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

there is no trump thingy?
Explain Dravid ? I've never played any fantasy-cricket, so am not aware of the terminologies. Just imported concepts from the previous version of Superselector that I'd built and adapted them. The ideas for v1 of SS came from members of the previous board and some from the current board. I've added some things that seemed logical. Feel free to give suggestions, but bear in mind that I'd like to keep this fairly simple to play.

Nice one, varoony. It looks professional and fits in with the site's interface. Shabash beta. You should have a little box on the left hand side indicating top point scorers, league rankings and that kind of thing. Here is a format you can try copying --> http://www.jamieclague.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/image7.png
Hmm, Ok so I've got a leaderboard going now, and I've changed how the user's team looks a bit (it's got player pictures now). Here's a Screenie: [Edited out]

Varun trump = trump player like out of ur 11 players which u picked.. one player u can chose to be ur trump player.. now whatever he scores.. his points would be doubled for ex.. i chose dravid and dravid scores 60... then i get 120 cauz he was a trump player
I see, hmm.. the idea seems a bit unnatural to me. Also, can you keep changing your trump player ? If so, how is that handled ?

yea... what crics said... usuallly in other compis i play... we have certain # of subs allowed.. a normal sub would count as only 1 sub used... but u wanna change trump.. its counts as 5 subs used.. so for here.. maybe u can make the penalty thingy higher for changing trump?? dont have to.. just suggestion :D

Hmm, Ok so I've got a leaderboard going now, and I've changed how the user's team looks a bit (it's got player pictures now). Here's a Screenie:
Oye hoye, oye hoye...not baaaaad son, not bad ! Ek chhota sa box "injury news" ke liye bhi lagade. Then we'll be all set.

I cant see what others have picked ... is this by design ?
Yes :P I'll add the facility to be able to click on other's teams and view them once the SS starts.
How about a page that lists all the players and the total no.of people that have picked them ? (Popular Picks)
Yeah that's in the works. Will add it later tonight or tomorrow.

I cant see what others have picked ... is this by design ?
If that IS the case, then it is better to just leave it that way. I don't want all these mongs copying my team - i need to preserve my competitive advantage so i can boot their @sses.

Ek chhota sa box "injury news" ke liye bhi lagade. Then we'll be all set.
Box to laga doon, but news kahaan se aayegi. I don't want to be doing *any* manual labour to maintain this SS :haha: Hmm lemme think about it, maybe I can pick off the cricinfo RSS feeds for all the teams playing in the SS and search for key phrases like "hurt","injur", etc..

yea... what crics said... usuallly in other compis i play... we have certain # of subs allowed.. a normal sub would count as only 1 sub used... but u wanna change trump.. its counts as 5 subs used.. so for here.. maybe u can make the penalty thingy higher for changing trump?? dont have to.. just suggestion :D
Hmm, kaafi complicated hone ki sambhavana hai :P .. Will think about it later. Got too much on my plate as it is.