Its time we give credit where its due.

Ram

Time and time again we have been mocking the so called minnows and all we have to show for is a first round exit. The way bangladesh played today , the match was over well before the last wicket fell. This victory is not a fluke. Given the conditions , the South africans were simply outclassed on the day. Instead of expressing surprise and shock at this victory, we should congratulate Bangladesh and give them the respect they deserve. If we still continue with the attitude of " Minnowdesh" , we will surely lose credibility. Bangladesh isnt the best team around.. but they arent the worst either.

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. Yeah they played well but lets not also forget that they were walloped by both Australia and New Zealand... I mean hammered. So while Bangladesh have improved leaps and bounds from thier past performances, they still have a few miles to go. Also I think a big reason for their winning was the opposing teams played like shti like India and SA did. But props to Bangladesh for the victory and success and good luck to them.

Re: Its time we give credit where its due.

. Also I think a big reason for their winning was the opposing teams played like shti like India and SA did.
I fail to understand this reasoning. All a team can do is play as well as they can and try to win. How can we dis-credit any victory just because the opposition team didnt play to the full potential ?? So are all the weaker teams supposed to make sure their stronger opponents play to their best and then beat them so that nobody can question their victory ?

If they ***** ' date=' then what are we and Pak ?[/quote'] Better than them
Yea, agreed we are better than them.. But the only team we managed to beat was bermuda.. while they won against us and Saffies. I am remembered of the saying -- " the proof of the pudding is in the eating".. :hic:

. Also I think a big reason for their winning was the opposing teams played like shti like India and SA did.
I fail to understand this reasoning. All a team can do is play as well as they can and try to win. How can we dis-credit any victory just because the opposition team didnt play to the full potential ?? So are all the weaker teams supposed to make sure their stronger opponents play to their best and then beat them so that nobody can question ?
If you fail to see the reasoninig then perhpas you lack the ability to reason. I'm not discounting bangladesh's victory, they played well; but if India and SA played to their potentials then bangladesh would not have won it is as simple as that. The only way bangladesh can win nowadays is by playing their best and hoping that the opposing team plays like crap. Look at thier record against new zealand...they beat them in the practice match because the kiwis didn't take the match seriously, then when the kiwis decided to play they won by 9 wickets. Bangladesh just doesn't have the batting might or the bowling depth to be a true contender yet. I don't buy this bull shti 3 slow left arm bowlers, it just shows how poorly SA play spinners. Again, I'm not discounting bangladesh, they are progressing very well and playing with a lot of heart. But they are not title contenders and htey are still at the weakest test playing nation (as zimbabwe isn't playing anymore...)

Look at thier record against new zealand...they beat them in the practice match because the kiwis didn't take the match seriously, then when the kiwis decided to play they won by 9 wickets. Again, I'm not discounting bangladesh, they are progressing very well and playing with a lot of heart. But they are not title contenders and htey are still at the weakest test playing nation (as zimbabwe isn't playing anymore...)
I definately do not agree with the first point. NO internationel professionel team would go into a practise match before the start of a world cup with an attitude of "lets-take-it-easy". And nobody called bangladesh as "title contenders" yet. Just that , we have to realize they are probably better than we are ready to accept. If not being title contenders makes them a bad team , then so is england and west indies.

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. I think you have to respect them as a cricketing nation. They may not be alongside the top teams yet but you have to credit them for victories. The wins have come often enough for people to at least give them credit where it is due. South Africa won the toss and put Bangladesh in. Bangladesh still beat them. Moreover South Africa is ranked no.1 team and Bangladesh beat them. If you guys still can't appreciate it I think it is not fair. It is not because of the pitch that they won, it is not because of South Africa's bad cricket that they won. Bangladesh won because they played better cricket. They are inconsistent fair enough but winning is a habit as is losing. If they win few frequently they sure can challenge better teams on a consistent basis. If a team is able to beat top teams in an arena such as World Cup they must surely be doing something right. Bangladesh is a pretty enthusiastic cricket team that has it in them to step up and beat anyone on their day.

I fail to understand this reasoning. All a team can do is play as well as they can and try to win. How can we dis-credit any victory just because the opposition team didnt play to the full potential ?? So are all the weaker teams supposed to make sure their stronger opponents play to their best and then beat them so that nobody can question ?
If you fail to see the reasoninig then perhpas you lack the ability to reason. I'm not discounting bangladesh's victory, they played well; but if India and SA played to their potentials then bangladesh would not have won it is as simple as that. The only way bangladesh can win nowadays is by playing their best and hoping that the opposing team plays like *****. Look at thier record against new zealand...they beat them in the practice match because the kiwis didn't take the match seriously, then when the kiwis decided to play they won by 9 wickets. Bangladesh just doesn't have the batting might or the bowling depth to be a true contender yet. I don't buy this bull shti 3 slow left arm bowlers, it just shows how poorly SA play spinners. Again, I'm not discounting bangladesh, they are progressing very well and playing with a lot of heart. But they are not title contenders and htey are still at the weakest test playing nation (as zimbabwe isn't playing anymore...)
what the hell? who cares about potential? the fact is, even if theyve got it, they didnt show it (Ind and SA). if WI played to potential in the 83 WC final they would have mopped the floor with us. What a ridiculous argument. Who cares if a team is a poor contender, #1 in the world, whatever. on the day it doesnt matter. Bangla brought it, what excuse do the other teams have? This is a bunch of crap. everyone knows Bangla is not the strongest team around, and they have failings and weaknesses. and over a series, yes India would beat them. Yes SA would beat them. but this is not a bilateral series. it is quite a different test. and Bangla are passing with flying colors. No one is expecting them to go to the finals and win! But they are doing what every fan should expect of their team - put in 100%, fight while the game is still on. It's India and SA's own fault that they lost - admittedly, to a team with much much much fewer resources. But who cares? Who is going to sit and evaluate at the end of each match that "Yes but they are a weaker team. If there was a 2nd time we would thrash them anyways, so all is forgiven" sorry mate, the time has passed and the match is over. and mind you, nobody is making excuses in the Bangla camp. They have played the toughest possible opposition in this tournament already: SL, Aus, NZ, SA. all 4 times they have lost the toss. 2 of the times they frikkin had a rain-ruined truncated match. all these things make a big difference to teams without that experience. but theyve made the most of what theyve got. that is what should be celebrated at the end of the day. call them what you like: minnows, losers etc, but dont defame their hard earned victories

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. West indies is playing like absolute crap this cup. nobody calls them shit and other names. This is a simple case of Pre-set mindsets and prejudices coupled with some I-am-the-big-brother attitude that is stoppin us from accepting the actual truth.

They have some genuinely talented cricketers and i reckon in a few years time they will be like Pakistan...world beaters one day and complete rubbish the next!
:hic: :hic: :hic: You are still bitter MP? :lol:

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. Must say that Ashraful probably played the innings of the tournament!

They have some genuinely talented cricketers and i reckon in a few years time they will be like Pakistan...world beaters one day and complete rubbish the next!
:hic: :hic: :hic: You are still bitter MP? :lol:
Yes bitter at the fact that PAK player can't get fitter! :wall: