7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour 1 or 2 yrs back no body would think of making fun of sachin....now every tom dic*k and harry is taking a pot shot at him....every two bit comedian has something to say about him .Unfortunately sachin will have to take the blame for it.It's very sad.....but true .

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour

1 or 2 yrs back no body would think of making fun of sachin....now every tom dic*k and harry is taking a pot shot at him....every two bit comedian has something to say about him .Unfortunately sachin will have to take the blame for it.It's very sad.....but true .
Perhaps you're unaware, but we Indians love to pull our heroes down. In 2002, when Sachin hit that 193 runs at headingley, it was the first instance when he had acknowledged the applause by pointing at media box too. For whatever reason, there were many fools in the media who tried to ridicule the changed approach of Sachin. Then in 2003 he silenced his critics during the WC when every Tom, **** and ***** has started taking potshots at him again because he was not able to score in first 3 tests in Australia. They were silenced again by that unbeaten double ton at Sydney. Then came the unbeaten 194 at Multan. People were quiet for few months but they again began when an unfit Sachin HAD to take field at Nagpur against Aussies. The cries were reaching fever-pitch when he again silenced them by that swift half ton on a minefield where a team like Australia could not score 100 runs in one full inning. So it is nothing new. Sachin should retire from the ODI after choosing one series which he'd like for his fairwell, home or away. But he'll keep silencing his critics who for some reason expect a century from him in every inning.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Chandan, we Indians are guilty of many things. For every Indian who pulls down our heroes, there are two that overhype our heroes. Hero worship must stop. No player deserves unconditional backing and none is bigger than the game.

But he'll keep silencing his critics who for some reason expect a century from him in every inning.
I hope you are right. But it aint happening. When was the last time, Sachin came out as the best Indian batsman in a test series ? U may have go back several years to spot that. And when it comes to key moments, he almost never shows up. The only three things that are sure in this world: Death, Taxes and Sachin pooping under pressure.

1 or 2 yrs back no body would think of making fun of sachin....now every tom dic*k and harry is taking a pot shot at him....every two bit comedian has something to say about him .Unfortunately sachin will have to take the blame for it.It's very sad.....but true .
Perhaps you're unaware, but we Indians love to pull our heroes down. In 2002, when Sachin hit that 193 runs at headingley, it was the first instance when he had acknowledged the applause by pointing at media box too. For whatever reason, there were many fools in the media who tried to ridicule the changed approach of Sachin. Then in 2003 he silenced his critics during the WC when every Tom, **** and ***** has started taking potshots at him again because he was not able to score in first 3 tests in Australia. They were silenced again by that unbeaten double ton at Sydney. Then came the unbeaten 194 at Multan. People were quiet for few months but they again began when an unfit Sachin HAD to take field at Nagpur against Aussies. The cries were reaching fever-pitch when he again silenced them by that swift half ton on a minefield where a team like Australia could not score 100 runs in one full inning. So it is nothing new. Sachin should retire from the ODI after choosing one series which he'd like for his fairwell, home or away. But he'll keep silencing his critics who for some reason expect a century from him in every inning.
Nice post Chandan. SRT is everyone's favourite punching bag now because he hasn't lived up to the image they built up of him in their minds. I remember the calls for his head during India's last tour of England especially after T2I1(Nottingham). He responded with a belligerent 92, a robust 193(last 60-70 runs were breathtaking) and a sparkling 54(his 100th test). Within 6 months, the murmurs had started following an indifferent performance in the ODIs in NZ. And boy did he shut people up in the World Cup. Thing about fans and SRT is that they want him to deliver all the time. This BS about him being God is because of Indian fans. It's not like SRT proclaimed to be the Tenth Avtar of Vishnu. And now that he isn't living upto their 'godlike' expectations of him, he's getting abused for their frustrations. :lol:

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour And in your own example, the knocks u points were in 2002, 2003. Its almost 3 years since then. What has he done in this time, worthy of his supposed greatness ? Should we continue to accomodate the mediocrity of his Highness because he was 'once up on a time' a great batsman ? Numerous hints have been dropped to ask him to step down. Articles have been written. Polls have been conducted. But he doesnt want to. Our heroes refuse to quit on a high note. They are hell bent on using their past greatness to buy a spot in the current XI. At this point, dropping him is not an insult to him, its a natural consequence resulting from his performance (or the lack of it) & our results.

Nice post Chandan. SRT is everyone's favourite punching bag now because he hasn't lived up to the image they built up of him in their minds.
No kidding. What God image ? Last 15 test matches (since 2005), the man averages 34 with one 100. In ODIs, against big opponents, SA & Aus in the last year or so, his average is in the teens. Virender Mayur Sehwag, averages 46 with the bat(4 100s, 4 50s) since 2005 from 21 tests. Dravid averages 57 in the same time (5 100s, 11 50s) from 21 tests. Laxman averages 40 from 19 tests (3 100s, 7 50s). Only Ganguly (who was not a regular in this time frame) averages less. 31 from 12 tests (1 100, 2 50s). SRT is among our WORST TOP ORDER BATSMAN in the last two years. Why anyone should be upset about dropping him, is beyond me. The probability of him winning a test match, is as good as England winning a world cup. All we are asking for, is one performance in a series worthy of a top order batsman. Is that asking too much ? I'd rather groom a junior with such mediocre stats. Atleast he'll learn something.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour He CANNOT be dropped from ODI cricket based on performances in the last 3 years. In test cricket, I agree with you that he has been pretty poor in the last 4 series now. But since 2003, he was ok against OZ in OZ, ok against Pak in Pak, matchwinning knock against OZ in Ind at Mumbai, good against Pak in Ind, decent against SL in 2005 but has been bad since that(Pak,Eng). I thought he looked good against SA in SA but horrid last inning there. And bumper, you are one of those fans I alluded to in my previous post.

It's not like SRT proclaimed to be the Tenth Avtar of Vishnu. And now that he isn't living upto their 'godlike' expectations of him, he's getting abused for their frustrations
You were a huge fan of SRT and now bash him senselessly, a bit over the top at times(something like he is just a good batsman not an all time test great etc etc). He hasn't lived upto to your expectations which is why you feel so let down by him.

Nice post Chandan. SRT is everyone's favourite punching bag now because he hasn't lived up to the image they built up of him in their minds.
No kidding. What God image ? Last 15 test matches (since 2005), the man averages 34 with one 100. In ODIs, against big opponents, SA & Aus in the last year or so, his average is in the teens. Virender Mayur Sehwag, averages 46 with the bat(4 100s, 4 50s) since 2005 from 21 tests. Dravid averages 57 in the same time (5 100s, 11 50s) from 21 tests. Laxman averages 40 from 19 tests (3 100s, 7 50s).
If last 15 for SRT, why not the same for VS, Laxy and Gangs?? Laxy avgs 35, Sehwag 35 and Gangs 36. Yeah, I see your point. Others are sooooo far ahead of him. :lol:

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour ^^ Yes, am i not allowed to have an opinion ? Yes i feel let down. Yes, i think he has been so mediocre, for so long, that i simply cannot accept him as a great anymore. If he is called great, after failing zillion times, when the country needs him, then we are setting very poor standards for greatness, arent we ? Not just me, from Ian C to Mike Atherton, and the biggest SRT fan of them all, Tony Greig, everyone who used to go gaga about him, have changed their opinion. Simply put, we must adjust our opinions on players as their performance changes. Heck, everything in this world works that way. If he had stopped in 2002, his greatness would have been unquestionable. Now am not so sure. 5 medicore years is close to 30% of his career. Not a passing phase or a small blot in his career to be dismissed.

No kidding. What God image ? Last 15 test matches (since 2005), the man averages 34 with one 100. In ODIs, against big opponents, SA & Aus in the last year or so, his average is in the teens. Virender Mayur Sehwag, averages 46 with the bat(4 100s, 4 50s) since 2005 from 21 tests. Dravid averages 57 in the same time (5 100s, 11 50s) from 21 tests. Laxman averages 40 from 19 tests (3 100s, 7 50s).
If last 15 for SRT, why not the same for VS, Laxy and Gangs?? Laxy avgs 35, Sehwag 35 and Gangs 36. Yeah, I see your point. Others are sooooo far ahead of him. :lol:
The stats were from the beginning of 2005. Diff players played diff no. of tests.

And in your own example, the knocks u points were in 2002, 2003. Its almost 3 years since then. What has he done in this time, worthy of his supposed greatness ? Should we continue to accomodate the mediocrity of his Highness because he was 'once up on a time' a great batsman ? .
Bumper I've given examples till 2004. If you've forgotten. I must remind you that he was operated for that tennis elbow in 2005, returned for just 3 test series in which he was not fully fit and had to be operated again in 2006 for shoulder. Should we not give him time to recover? If he does not perform in BD, England and Australia...drop him! But it is unfair to expect a person to deliver immediately after his injury! He is NOT GOD, just a human being, remember!

Shows that Mr. God sucks as much as the rest of them and deserves to be on the to be dropped list as the other guys. I think the dropping of 7 players is a little too drastic. I would drop SRT IMMEDIATELY from tests. He has been a walking wicket pretty much every time.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Last 15 Test Matches: [code:74fb270e1b] Player Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St Sachin 15 789 109 34.30 1 5 2 1/30 112.50 0 10 0 Dravid 15 1280 146 55.65 3 8 - - - - 19 0 Ganguly 15 733 101 36.65 1 4 2 1/14 102.50 0 9 0 Sehwag 15 891 254 35.64 2 2 11 3/33 28.45 0 12 0 Yuvraj 15 575 122 28.75 1 2 0 - - 0 19 0 Jafer 15 1022 212 36.50 3 6 2 2/18 9.00 0 13 0 Laxman 15 777 104 35.31 2 5 - - - - 13 0 [/code:1:74fb270e1b]

^^ Yes, am i not allowed to have an opinion ? Yes i feel let down. Yes, i think he has been so mediocre, for so long, that i simply cannot accept him as a great anymore. If he is called great, after failing zillion times, when the country needs him, then we are setting very poor standards for greatness, arent we ? Not just me, from Ian C to Mike Atherton, and the biggest SRT fan of them all, Tony Greig, everyone who used to go gaga about him, have changed their opinion. Simply put, we must adjust our opinions on players as their performance changes. Heck, everything in this world works that way. If he had stopped in 2002, his greatness would have been unquestionable. Now am not so sure. 5 medicore years is close to 30% of his career. Not a passing phase or a small blot in his career to be dismissed.
Now you are saying he's been mediocre for 5 years now in test cricket? That's BS. Averages 45 against non minnows(might have to start including BD quite soon though :hic:) since 2002. Thats not bad at all. But by his god status, it's abysmal. I whole heartedly agree with you that he isn't what he was and he certainly has not been the world's best batsman for nearly 4 years now. In 2002, he was probably 2nd after Bradman. Now he will figure somewhere in the top 10 of all time. Opinions are certainly not cast in stone. Lara in 1994 was called god. Hayden was the same between 2001-2004. Gangs was untouchable before 2003.But I find this revisionist history in the making extremely unfair. Overall, he is an all time great and probably among the top 10 batsmen of all time. Regarding his retirement, as a big fan of his, I want him to retire now before people start to remember him as MSK Prasad. But somewhere deep inside, I still feel that if he plays, he will silence his critics again and go out with a bang. After all, like you said in a post a long time ago, SRT was, is and will always be about hope.

I think the dropping of 7 players is a little too drastic. I would drop SRT IMMEDIATELY from tests. He has been a walking wicket pretty much every time.
He did outperform RD and Laxy in the last test series though.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Gambo, do u think SRT would have figured in the top 10 list of test batsman (based on actual performance, not reputation) in each of the last 5 years ? I doubt, he would even be in the top 2 Indian batsman during this time. Yes, i think he's been very average (for consideration for greatness) in the last 5 years.

I think the dropping of 7 players is a little too drastic. I would drop SRT IMMEDIATELY from tests. He has been a walking wicket pretty much every time.
Out performed by an average of 1 point ? :hic:

Laxy is walking wicket too. Dump him too. RD and SRT are just not comparable as far tests are concerned. We've been through that elsewhere with stats. I think the point is, these guys have all had a good run. It is time for them and for us to realize that time comes for them to go. For some of them it has been over than a year. Unfortunately none of our stars think there is a need for them to retire. If one or more of them had retired on their own, it would have made the selectors' job that much easier.

Gambo, do u think SRT would have figured in the top 10 list of test batsman (based on actual performance, not reputation) in each of the last 5 years ? I doubt, he would even be in the top 2 Indian batsman during this time. Yes, i think he's been very average (for consideration for greatness) in the last 5 years.
Based on last 5 years no. But that is soooo misleading. SMG averaged 45 in his last 5 years. Viv 42. This is without taking out their stats against SL(minnow then). SRT has been averaging 45 in the last 5 years without BD and Zim. Is that so terrible? Answer that. The question is, do you want to remember him for an awesome 13 year period or a decent 5 year period? Taking his career as a whole, he is indisputably an ATG and among top 10 test bats of all time.

Gambo, do u think SRT would have figured in the top 10 list of test batsman (based on actual performance, not reputation) in each of the last 5 years ? I doubt, he would even be in the top 2 Indian batsman during this time. Yes, i think he's been very average (for consideration for greatness) in the last 5 years.
Based on last 5 years no. But that is soooo misleading. SMG averaged 45 in his last 5 years. Viv 42. This is without taking out their stats against SL(minnow then). SRT has been averaging 45 in the last 5 years without BD and Zim. Is that so terrible? Answer that. The question is, do you want to remember him for an awesome 13 year period or a decent 5 year period? Taking his career as a whole, he is indisputably an ATG and among top 10 test bats of all time.
I'd never compare Viv with SRT. Viv never played for averages. Besides, Viv in his last 5 years won test matches with his bat for the WI. He won tests against Ind, Aus, Eng, Pak etc.(and this in his worst phase of his career). Agreed WI's bowling attack can enforce a lot of wins, but Viv played a significant role with the bat to ensure these wins. Even in his last series vs Eng, he left on a high note averaging 50+. Gavaskar can be compared with SRT. He may not have won as many tests as Viv in his last 5 years, but certainly has great numbers against his, then top opponents -- WI, Pak, Aus, Eng. His last innings 96 was a classic. He whooped the Aussies both at home & away & has very impressive 100s against a Marshall led WI attack, both at home & away during this period. To me the comparison does not even begin. Bottom line is, SRT did not have even one DOMINANT series with the bat (his average mainly boosted by some big not outs) in the last 5 years. No averages can convince me otherwise. To me greatness is not about, cranking up numbers. Its about standing up & being counted when odds are stacked against you. Thats what separates the average from the great ones. I am sure Sachin will play atleast 2-3 more years at this mediocre rate before he hangs up his boots. By then it would have been 8-9 mediocre years out of his 20 year career. You cant dismiss that and only focus on his 12 good years to justify his spot in an all time list.