When will we have an express fast bowler?

I feel really fustrated we still cant produce a fast bowler to shake up the opposition. Yes I know its not all about pace and that line/length/swing/seam are important. But if you can do all of that at 90 mph instead of 82mph it can make a real difference and is a real extra weapon for a team. You only have to see history of cricket and see the importance and match winning abilities of pacers who rampage and scare the opposition to death. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. God I look with envy at players like Steyn, Johnson, Flintoff, Edwards and even new kid Aaamir. Why o why cant we have a pacer who blows the opposition away. I remember when Munaf did it for one test against england and dravid said that it was great for opposition to get waht we have been getting for years. You could see his desperation for an express bowler. Unfortunatley Patel was another to flatter to decieve. The latest hope Ishant can barely creep over 80 mph and is a massive dissapointment in my eyes at the moment. I am desperate for an Indian pacer to regularly clock over 90 mph and everyone ooooing with admiartion at the pace and hostility. All we have had is Kapil Dev and Srinath. What are the reasons??? -Lack of meat? -lazy indian attitude maeaning cant be bothered to break in to a sweat and would rather just bat and bowl spin? -Not aggressive enough attitude, just we are to placid? -Flat pitches which discourage pacers? Probably a bit of everything! Any serious pacers on the horizon??? Cant see any!:((

Good question...all the reasons u have mentioned are perfectly right...I wud like to add one more reason-lack of role models...see pakistan had Imran khan..wasim akram and waqar grew up watching him...shoaib grew up watching imran,wasim,waqar.Every young kid in Pakistan wants to bowl like Shoaib...same is the case with WI.They had Garner,Marshall,Holding ,Roberts...then came Ambrose and walsh and now edwards...so is the case with SA,AUS. We hardly produced fast bowlers in the seventies.We had Kapil dev but he was not express.Javagal srinath was quick when he was young but he struggled with injuries.Rest of the guys were merely medium pacers. I really want someone to start the trend of fast bowling in India.Someone who is raw,young,quick...should hit 90 mph on regular basis.We should look beyond India for role models.

Is it genetic as well? Are we simply not built to bowl quick? I mean apart from Punjabis and northern Indians, the build of indians is not suitable for extreme pace bowling??? Contreversial I know but the dimunitive stature of many indians in some parts of india is simply not conducive for pace bowling!

Is it genetic as well? Are we simply not built to bowl quick? I mean apart from Punjabis and northern Indians' date=' the build of indians is not suitable for extreme pace bowling??? Contreversial I know but the dimunitive stature of many indians in some parts of india is simply not conducive for pace bowling![/quote'] Pakis have the same genes as us. Most if not all didnt come from arabia/iran in fact forefathers of most mulsims in India and Pak used to be hindus ... so genes is not an issue .. diet maybe a factor but Im sure we have more non vegetarians than the population of Pakistan :giggle:. Its all about getting inspired plus I dont think intelligent people want to run all day to get couple of wickets when they can spin and get more wickets without as much effort Note : My post is not about religion ... its just about history
Is it genetic as well? Are we simply not built to bowl quick? I mean apart from Punjabis and northern Indians' date=' the build of indians is not suitable for extreme pace bowling??? Contreversial I know but the dimunitive stature of many indians in some parts of india is simply not conducive for pace bowling![/quote'] Yeah good physique is very important..I guess we will get express bowler from north of India...like punjab,haryana...people there are strongly built...also the climate over there is much suited for fast bowling..it's much cooler in northern india in comparison with rest of India.
Pakis have the same genes as us. Most if not all didnt come from arabia/iran in fact forefathers of most mulsims in India and Pak used to be hindus ... so genes is not an issue .. diet maybe a factor but Im sure we have more non vegetarians than the population of Pakistan :giggle:. Its all about getting inspired plus I dont think intelligent people want to run all day to get couple of wickets when they can spin and get more wickets without as much effort Note : My post is not about religion ... its just about history
i totally agree with you.......its more like we dont have the culture of fast bowling.......if some one bowls fast people will tell him slow down...........u will get injured

I think it is because of tradition too. Not enough role models. Indian team has always been known for their spin. Gupte, Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna, Venkat, VV Kumar, Doshi, Kumble, Harbhajan, L Siva. First real fast bowler India produced was Kapil Dev. Even he was not express bowler. He was an oustanding outswing bowler. Srinath was the first real quick bowler who managed to hurry the batsman with disconcerting bounce. But even he was not the kind of bowler who would send stumps cartwheeling or send down toe crushing yorkers. Also Indians are fond of batting more than bowling. You could see this pattern in any club. Look at Sehwag. He started his cricket infront of mirror practicing Sachin's shots. With IPL and all we are bound to see few fast bowlers coming through. I am going to follow Kamran Khan's career. This guy was really quick for his frame.

Tape ball cricket is one more difference between India and Pakistan. It encourages the bowlers to ball fast and generates bounce too. The tape ball popularity is the main reason why Pak churns out many fast bowlers and not so great batsman. In India many kids are not even aware of the term tape ball.

:((

I am going to follow Kamran Khan's career. This guy was really quick for his frame.
I seriously doubt if he'd get the same pace if he doesn't chuck- He got reported didn't he. That guy had a massive chuck in his action... wht irks me that evnery other nation in the world - even bangladesh and zimbabwe have had pacier bowlers than ours. :((
Tape ball cricket is one more difference between India and Pakistan. It encourages the bowlers to ball fast and generates bounce too. The tape ball popularity is the main reason why Pak churns out many fast bowlers and not so great batsman. In India many kids are not even aware of the term tape ball.
You hit the Bulls Eye Nikhil..... In India, i used to play with that normal teniss ball in which you can never get good pace..never used to enjoy bowling back in India.... then came here in Canada and started playing Tape teniss ball with my Pakistani friends..... now i just love pace bowling... tapeball actually motivates u to you to bowl fast...

^^ Yeh in India, they play with those rubbish Khanna balls, which are good for slow spongy wickets, which you would never get. I think people in India need to start playing with tape ball on concrete. Tape ball comes quick and gets decent bounce too. Its good for the bowler and good practice for the batsmen too

and also for some reason, Indians dont just appriciate fast bowling... just check the views of some of the posters here on ICF ..when i said Ishant Sharma is getting slower last year, some of posters just jumped on with quotes like "Phaassttt bowling won't give u wickets" , "You must be p@ki to like phassttt bowling"..etc... heck even the Cricket tournament I play here, my team is mostly Indian and they keep telling to bowl slow deliveries... just pisses me off

Is it genetic as well? Are we simply not built to bowl quick? I mean apart from Punjabis and northern Indians' date=' the build of indians is not suitable for extreme pace bowling??? Contreversial I know but the dimunitive stature of many indians in some parts of india is simply not conducive for pace bowling![/quote'] Sami is slightly built but still could generate tremendous speed ! Same was the case with Srinath. Kapil Dev had a much better built then either of the two , but he was slower in comparison. Can you name one Punjabi /North Indian fast bowler who bowls faster than Srinath or even Sreesanth consistently. We have Madan lal , Ghavri , Chetan Sharmas of the world who were always military medium. Granted , most of the fast bowlers in Pakistan are from Punjab ( Akktar, Younis,Wasim ) and punjabis are supposed to be of lesser build than Pathans.Go figure.... I don't buy that physical strength necessarily will translate to express pace. Sure , one can't expect venkatpathy raju or dilip doshi to bowl at express pace , but surely athletic build guys like kapil , Sreesanth etc can certainly be trained to bowl at genuine pace.

Indian bowlers follow a pattern: Break in to the team bowling fast, getting wickets -> Get hit a few times and start bowling "line and length" thinking that means sacrificing pace -> Become trundlers and get hit many more times. Look at Irfan, Munaf, Ishant.. they've all gone that way (I still have hope for Ishant)