dearth of spinners

Hi, its saddening to see that there are not many quality spinners waiting to fill the ranks of anil. what happened to sarandeep singh i can think of piyush chawla but i have no idea. Can you people think of better spinners for this indian team Would a spinning coach(bedi eg) also be in the offing now that they have a fielding and bowling coach(prasad technically being a fast bowler).

Re: dearth of spinners The cupboard is bare. I have seen Chawla play; he is ordinary. Has a nice googly, but not enough variation. I don't see him being an adequate replacement for Kumble - at best, he could be another Powar. Ravindra Jadeja is nothing special either. Both of them got hit to pieces by the Pakistanis in the EurAsia Cup final last season. Sarandeep was a very average spinner; he had a few chances during '01/02 when IND played him against England at home - he flattered to deceive and didn't do anything noteworthy other than appeal for Michael Vaughan's wicket when he handled the ball. The quality of spinners today is poor even in comparision to what IND had back in the 90's - ie; Bahutule, Raju, Chauhan, Kulkarni etc. All of whom were better than the "prospects" who are currently being touted for the Indian team. Time to ditch spin and focus on developing fast-bowlers - that is the only area where IND have improved in recent times.

Re: dearth of spinners We cannot ditch one of the vital skills of cricket, that too when spin was supposed to be India's main strength. Spinner needs time to develop and if we expect a 19 year old Chawla to bowl like Warne then we should not think of having a quality spinner. Chawla needs to look for a little bit of variety because he has pretty good control over his bowling already. A big leg-break should be the the he should work on. But to discard him as average at the age of only 19 will be foolishness.

Re: dearth of spinners From what I have seen of Chawla he does not have it in him to trouble international quality batsmen regularly. His main wicket taking delivery is the googly, which is superb, but once batsman start picking it up he has very little to fall back upon in terms of a good leg spinner or flipper. He has some void to fill in but I think he should be made to interact regularly with Kumble to do that. Harbhajan is useless and at the moment we should be looking for replacements for both Kumble and Harbhajan.

Re: dearth of spinners

We cannot ditch one of the vital skills of cricket, that too when spin was supposed to be India's main strength. Spinner needs time to develop and if we expect a 19 year old Chawla to bowl like Warne then we should not think of having a quality spinner. Chawla needs to look for a little bit of variety because he has pretty good control over his bowling already. A big leg-break should be the the he should work on. But to discard him as average at the age of only 19 will be foolishness.
Times change; look at other countries - they are all in the process of blooding fast bowlers, not spinners. India should follow suit if they want to remain competitive in both forms of the game. I don't think Chawla should be discarded; by all means - give him as many chances as he needs - however, i just don't think he has what it takes to make an impression at international level. He seems to be focusing a lot on his batting lately, becoming more of an all-rounder than a proper spinner. If India are to play him, i hope they make him a fixture in Tests and not ODI's - where his bowling would in all likelihood, be hit to pieces. I wouldn't lose faith in Harbhajan either. Sure he has been sh*t lately, but he has over 200 wickets in Test cricket and since Kumble replaced him in '04 Australian tour, he has had to live in his shadow. I think with the right direction and an understanding captain who can motivate him (like Ganguly could) he could be very useful for India.

Re: dearth of spinners True Pred. I'm also not losing faith in Bhajji. But he needs a long break from all forms of international cricket to concentrate on his bowling and get that unusual bounce once again which he used to get in 2001-02. I think Chawla will also come through nicely. They all need direction but unfortunately there is no one to guide them. Our NCA is of no use. Earlier when Prasanna used to look after the spinner about 6-7 years back, it used to be different.

Re: dearth of spinners lack of direction and purpose as usual ... lets see what happens through some of the changes being bulldozed through .... will it all be flash and no substance or will meaningful structural changes be implemented?