Sehwag has been FAR MORE devastating in test cricket, yet Pietersen is made to be like some colossus

...Similar average of 50 odd+ . But Veeru's strike rate is nearly 80 compared to Pietersen's in the early 60's . For an opener thats simply fantabulous. Yet the English and Aussie experts make hype Pietersen as if he is a batter from Jupiter. Pietersen has not even come close to matching the utterly demoralizing effect that Veeru has had on bowlers in test match cricket.

Guest Shivani
Pietersen has not even come close to matching the utterly demoralizing effect that Veeru has had on bowlers in test match cricket.
:agree: :crazy4:

I don't think anyone has taken anything away from Sehwag. KP is more in news and discussion because of the Ashes. And with the number of test matches India plans to play in future, I have a feeling that Swhwag won't be much in discussion.

In test cricket, there can be no cricketer in the world who can send shivers down the opposition, merely by his presence in the middle, other than the maverick SEHWAG He is so devastating and demoralizing not even Sachin, Lara or Ponting or whoever

tbh,Pietersen is more skilled than Sehwag.i have seen him play a Warne ball well outside legstump to wide Mid-on.not too many batsmen can do that.n Sehwag is yet to prove himself in SA,Eng,he struggles against the swinging ball n that is a fact we cant deny.Sehwag,while being devastating will always give the bowlers a chance while Pietersen will look assured n safe even while attacking.thats why Pietersen is more dangerous

Sehwag is a talented player, im not the biggest fan of test cricket but when he is on i always like to watch, because i know while he is there he will make his runs quick.. his strike rate is amazing in all format's of the game, he plays proper cricketing shots and not just slogs. the comparison with pietersen is a tough one, becuase KP is regarded as one of the finest in the world.

For some odd reason, guys like KP and Flintoff have always been the blue-eyed boys of the mainstream international media. Compare the amount of coverage/attention they to get, with someone like Chanderpaul or an Anil Kumble who have been far more effective in international cricket and its easy to fathom how the amount of coverage you get is not proportional to your on-field achievements. Could it be that people like Sehwag, Chanderpaul and Kumble just take to the field, do their job silently and effectively and stop at that? Could it be that they don’t celebrate a wicket or a 100 in style like Freddie does? Or could it also be that they don’t give catchy phrases when confronted by the media like KP does?

For some odd reason, guys like KP and Flintoff have always been the blue-eyed boys of the mainstream international media. Compare the amount of coverage/attention they to get, with someone like Chanderpaul or an Anil Kumble who have been far more effective in international cricket and its easy to fathom how the amount of coverage you get is not proportional to your on-field achievements. Could it be that people like Sehwag, Chanderpaul and Kumble just take to the field, do their job silently and effectively and stop at that? Could it be that they don’t celebrate a wicket or a 100 in style like Freddie does? Or could it also be that they don’t give catchy phrases when confronted by the media like KP does?
I'd have liked the comparison to be between Kallis and Flintoff. In every parameter you could conceivably think of, batting, bowling, catching and longevity, Kallis blows Flintoff out of the water. The former is the greatest fast bowling all-rounder that ever lived. Yet, do you see him rated ahead of Flintoff, let alone the likes of Imran, Botham, Kapil, and Hadley? The reason you don't is because of his lack of flamboyance, his eschewing of controversy and self promotion. If Flintoff has one thing in common with Botham and Imran, it is his capacity to promote himself. He milked every femtolitre of his Ashes performance in 2005 to dryness, resorting to mouthing "Oh Freddie Freddie" himself after taking wickets. Newspaper interviews, TV shows followed, his bank balance burgeoned by millions. He has the same penchant for courting controversy as Botham or Imran. If Botham had a reputation as the grass snorter and Imran as the womaniser (deservedly or undeservedly), Freddie is the teenage boozer who never grew up. Apparently, it adds to his charm.
I'd have liked the comparison to be between Kallis and Flintoff. In every parameter you could conceivably think of, batting, bowling, catching and longevity, Kallis blows Flintoff out of the water. The former is the greatest fast bowling all-rounder that ever lived. Yet, do you see him rated ahead of Flintoff, let alone the likes of Imran, Botham, Kapil, and Hadley? The reason you don't is because of his lack of flamboyance, his eschewing of controversy and self promotion. If Flintoff has one thing in common with Botham and Imran, it is his capacity to promote himself. He milked every femtolitre of his Ashes performance in 2005 to dryness, resorting to mouthing "Oh Freddie Freddie" himself after taking wickets. Newspaper interviews, TV shows followed, his bank balance burgeoned by millions. He has the same penchant for courting controversy as Botham or Imran. If Botham had a reputation as the grass snorter and Imran as the womaniser (deservedly or undeservedly), Freddie is the teenage boozer who never grew up. Apparently, it adds to his charm.
Couldn’t agree with the post more. I suppose one can say that every star (cricketer) has the right to take maximum mileage out of their professional career, but the thing that I, as a cricket fan, would be most concerned about is what the general cricketing public thinks of these cricketers. To my mind at least, there’s absolutely no comparison between Flintoff and Kallis, in terms of their cricketing achievements. But I am concerned that there are a sizeable number of people out there who differ with my opinion.