Malinga may be out for up to two weeks -

King

Malinga ruled out of New Zealand game Cricinfo staff April 11, 2007 Lasith Malinga may be out for up to two weeks ? Getty Images Lasith Malinga, the World Cup's equal leading wicket-taker, has been ruled out of Sri Lanka's match against New Zealand on Thursday with a grade two tear in his left ankle. With the recovery period set between seven and 14 days, Malinga will almost certainly miss the Australia game on in Grenada on Monday and perhaps even the Ireland clash there two days later. Malinga did not train on Tuesday after hurting himself while running at an earlier practice session. Sri Lanka, who first believed the problem was nothing serious, could bring in Farveez Maharoof or Nuwan Kulasekara. But the loss of Malinga, who has 15 victims at 14.26 in the tournament and took a record four wickets in four balls against South Africa, is a serious one against the top-of-the-table New Zealand. Muttiah Muralitharan, meanwhile, has recovered from his groin strain. "We've got experienced players who can come in and we are confident they can do a job for us," Mahela Jayawardene told AFP. "It depends on how much of a gamble we want to take at this stage." Jayawardene said an unbeaten New Zealand had not been truly tested in the Caribbean and Sri Lanka were in a good position to challenge them, having drawn 2-2 in their ODI series in New Zealand in December and January. "They are playing some really good cricket but they haven't played one of the top teams yet," he said. "They've got a very good all-round side and bat until deep. We've played them a lot in the last 12 months and we know their strengths and weaknesses."

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks - It's a major blow for Sri Lanka, particularly against top contenders like Kiwis and Aussies....after Murali, Malinga has become the main wicket taking bowler for SL...(Vaas looks less effective in this WC??) If Kiwis can handle Murali's 10 over...I guess they have an edge.

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks - oh damn it ... the most entertaining sight in world cricket at the moment .... Malinga making batsman hop or try to get out of the way. The fact that he was on my SS team and now wont play means I am prolly out of contention. :wall:

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks -

Does anyone else think Malinga is a chucker ?
I know precious little about technical rules abt judging who is a chucker but from the looks of it Malinga's action seems unusual but clean...Murali's however still seems suspect to me but maybe that's just the way it appears :chin:

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks - his action looks awful and should be illegal.. just like underarm delievery was legal before.. this slinging action is legal now.. but IMO it needs to be reviewed.. dont you think slinging action easily generates more pace.. than orthodox action

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks - Argh man I really like watching the little rocket in action. What a loss :wall: He does not chuck. Murli on the other hand does chuck. If he has a medical problem in that he can't straighten his arm then frankly that is not batsmens problem. Murli is getting an unfair advantage and that is a fact. Still I like Murli :wtg:

Re: Malinga may be out for up to two weeks - its takes time to get used to his action....Newzealanders really were not able to pick him up in Test series...they worked on that...they asked umpires to remove their ties...because his arm seems to come from the tie.. Saffies also had same problem of picking him up...Most batsman will get used to it and he wont be as effective unless he develops as a bowler..