Facilities for the Disabled in India

graphic23

So, I'm on DirecTV and there is a program on the telugu channel called 'Black' that brings out singers who don't have eyes, and I must say that it was quite an amazing experience when I watched an episode of it last week. The judges, 1 who doesn't have eyes, 1 playback singer, and 1 lyricist - who has had some problems with his eyes, are so amazing in their encouragement for these kids (its the little stars sort of thing), and the singers are really really good. This got me thinking about how much awareness is in our society on the facilities/opportunities for people who are disabled in India. At the university, I'm taught that you never call anyone handicapped, you never show any sort of irregular behavior, you're not supposed to call them "disabled people" and instead supposed to say "people who are disabled", you're to give them their own space, etc. Generally, from parking lot spaces to public transport, where there are special arrangements made to accommodate people with wheelchairs, etc. here - and when I grew up in India, perhaps I was too young but I never noticed any of these things. I'm wondering if any of you guys who are in India or who've lived in India for longer than i have can shed some light on this issue.

there is nothing like that in India. My cousin is a physiotherapist and moved back to India from the UK to start his architecture (services for disabled) business in India. He is making companies aware of facilities they should have for people with disabilities like ramps, special parking etc. I think he is finding a lot of business. So yes things are moving in the right direction but not at all levels

:agree: we also enquired about facilities for the disabled when we wanted take my Grandmother there as she cant walk much and needs to be in wheelchair its like you say its something thats developing to gave greater freedom to those who have disabilties but its a work in progress

i am physically handicapped(something i did not disclose earlier) too n i think the govt. is doing enuf in this regard.ramps in public building,reservations are all good.things are much better than before .there is hope

i am physically handicapped(something i did not disclose earlier) too n i think the govt. is doing enuf in this regard.ramps in public building' date='reservations are all good.things are much better than before .there is hope[/quote'] mind u we made those enquiries about 5 yrs ago! so its good to know things have progressed!

i am physically handicapped(something i did not disclose earlier) too n i think the govt. is doing enuf in this regard.ramps in public building' date='reservations are all good.things are much better than before .there is hope[/quote'] but its still impossible to use roads with ease or go to the market or govt office. Things are changing but with Tea stalls on footpaths, I dont know how they can fix things :dontknow:

There are facilities in airports, railway stations etc. Sometimes there are reserved parking spaces only for the disabled, but they are just used like any other parking space. Some big multiplexes have facilities for the disabled.