Yuvraj set to be vice-captain for Bangladesh tour

Yuvraj set to be vice-captain for Bangladesh tour ASHISH SHUKLA GRENADA, April 11: Yuvraj Singh might have been served with a notice by the Indian board but it is learnt that a big honour is going to come his way for the tour to Bangladesh. The dashing left-hander in all likelihood would be the vice-captain of the Indian team on the forthcoming tour. According to board sources and ones in the selection committee, it has been decided to "groom" the dashing left-handed batsman as future India captain. Yuvraj in all likelihood would be made vice-captain during the forthcoming tour to Bangladesh. "There are certain issues about his attitude. Hopefully extra responsibility will rein him in. He has emerged as one of the top Indian batsmen in the last couple of seasons. We think he can do the job," said an official. Yuvraj has found himself drawn in controversy in the wake of India's disastrous campaign in the 2007 World Cup. Even before he had returned India, the leaked SMS of Greg Chappell suggested that the former Indian coach didn't think too high of his leadership ability. It probably led to his reaction that Sachin Tendulkar's outburst against the Australian had the backing of other members of the side. Even as he prepares to reply to the Board on the show-cause notice, he is getting the hint that he has been chosen for bigger honours. It is learnt that Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Irfan Pathan and Ajit Agarkar might not be in the team for Bangladesh. "There could be other cricketers who could be dropped but I think initially it would be these four guys," said a senior Board official. The names of former captain Sourav Ganguly and opening batsman Virender Sehwag will also be discussed. Meanwhile, it is learnt that selection committee is not amused by the directive from the board. They feel that dropping or selecting a player should be selection committee's prerogative. Concerned players are already calling up selectors to know if the news of axing them is true. "We have been told by the higher-ups to axe these guys but the players feel it's we who are behind their exit. The board is shooting from our shoulder." "When I spoke to Mr Pawar on it in Mumbai he told me to take an independent decision. But he doesn't know that his other colleagues are directing us."

Re: Yuvraj set to be vice-captain for Bangladesh tour I am happy with this move- Yuvi should be groomed. There is a serious lack of alternatives. He is our best ODI bat at present. The problem is that he is still not a certainity for tests. But we need to groom him and take the chance. As for attitude etc, I have noticed he has matured in his batting and hopefully the same will translate into attitude making him a succesful captain

Re: Yuvraj set to be vice-captain for Bangladesh tour

yuvi ko drop karega? :wall: our best odi batsman right now :hmph: making him vice captain is a good move... hopefully he learns something under dravid :lol:
mere bas main hota to kis kis ko drop kar deta ab tak :hic:
isliye tu selector nahi hai :lmao:

Yuvraj is a BAD choice for captaincy........
What is the basis of your statement ?
I say this because I dont think Yuvi has even led his state side,after playing for so many years the guy is yet to cement his place in the test side...he seems to be a total gamble for captaincy.Kaif could be a better option but then his place is also not guaranteed in either forms of the game.

Re: Yuvraj set to be vice-captain for Bangladesh tour Take someone new in whose talent you have complete faith and put him in as VC. How many games did Smith play before he became the captain of SA. :lmao: :lmao: We are in the same situation as Zimbabwe we can't find a captain :lmao: :lmao:

Yuvraj is a BAD choice for captaincy....btw has he even led his state side in domestics?....
And this is the question I have to ask too. Yuvraj is too hot-headed to be even considered for leadership!! And Desichap, Please stop reading indiatimes/TOI !

How many games did Smith play before he became the captain of SA:
Graeme Smith had been captaining teams since childhood; he was born to be a captain. Can't say the same about Yuvraj, although i still think he is a worth a shot in a captaincy position.