The Never Ending Thread

Ram

Well I went from a complete n00b ( 3 hrs in the previous half marathon: i.e. NOT an athlete at all) to this time in about 2 months: I went for runs 3-4 times a week but NEVER more than that. As they say, rest is more important than the exercise. The thing I did was first build up enough stamina (I was struggling to run 5 kms!!), since you can run 10 kms in 1 hr thats a fair bit done already. Once a week I would go on a slow run thats purely about distance: Started from 7 kms to 10 to 12 to 15. I ran these distances twice before moving on to the next distance. And once a week I did something called interval training. This is where you run a shorter distance (50-60% of your slow runs) but alternate between 3-4 mins at a higher speed (but not outright sprinting) and 5-6 mins of 'rest' which is your slow running speed. When I got used to doing a distance, I did this in the last 4-5 kms in my slow runs as well. And once a week I went for uphill running. Plenty of hills where I live so no problems finding the right gradients and all that. Again, this would be 50-60% of your slow runs. I replaced this with circuit training for pre-season fitness thing that my cricket team has after one month. Thats about it. You have plenty of time to prepare which I didnt have thanks to the fawking snow! :mad:

Well I went from a complete n00b ( 3 hrs in the previous half marathon: i.e. NOT an athlete at all) to this time in about 2 months: I went for runs 3-4 times a week but NEVER more than that. As they say, rest is more important than the exercise. The thing I did was first build up enough stamina (I was struggling to run 5 kms!!), since you can run 10 kms in 1 hr thats a fair bit done already. Once a week I would go on a slow run thats purely about distance: Started from 7 kms to 10 to 12 to 15. I ran these distances twice before moving on to the next distance. And once a week I did something called interval training. This is where you run a shorter distance (50-60% of your slow runs) but alternate between 3-4 mins at a higher speed (but not outright sprinting) and 5-6 mins of 'rest' which is your slow running speed. When I got used to doing a distance, I did this in the last 4-5 kms in my slow runs as well. And once a week I went for uphill running. Plenty of hills where I live so no problems finding the right gradients and all that. Again, this would be 50-60% of your slow runs. I replaced this with circuit training for pre-season fitness thing that my cricket team has after one month. Thats about it. You have plenty of time to prepare which I didnt have thanks to the fawking snow! :mad:
13 miles a day? 3-4 times a week? Woah, that is pretty intensive by my standards. I can probably do it during one of the two days during the weekend, at the MAX and even that’s stretch because it takes a lot out of me. One of the options I am pursuing is to try a gradual downward speed gradient – first 3 miles at 6 mph, next 2 at 5.7 mph, next 2 at 5.5 mph, next 1 at 5.3 mph, which will help me cover 8 miles in about 85 mins. I think that’s about the max my body can take at this point. For remainder 5 miles, I am thinking maybe I can split every mile between .7 miles of jogging at 5.5 mph, with the remainder .3 miles, brisk walking at 3.8 mph, which require an additional 65 mins. That brings the total to around 2 hrs 30 mins, which is pretty close to my target time.

13 miles a day? 3-4 times a week? Woah' date=' that is pretty intensive by my standards. I can probably do it during one of the two days during the weekend, at the MAX and even that’s stretch because it takes a lot out of me. [/quote'] :doh: All my numbers are in kms not miles. And as for the time, its time well spent since its an amazing stress buster and you sleep like a baby that night so no plodding around on ICF at 2-3AM when you're supposed to sleep. And now you probably know why I'm this disappointed :\ Thats fair enough if you're target is 2:30. Usually people look to go faster in the second half. I took about 1 h 20 min for the first half and about 50 mins for the second despite the cramps. Also if thats youre target then playing football/squash/cycling or any other cardio sports or exercise a couple of times a week should be enough.

Guest Shivani
I run 3 blocks everyday :cool:
i had to run .. i dont know how much exactly.. cuz my neighbor's dog (MAX, who bites only females) was running after me :WTF:

i had to run .. i dont know how much exactly.. cuz my neighbor's dog (MAX' date=' who bites only females) was running after me :WTF:[/quote'] You wouldn't have had this trouble if your house was beside Aaku's. Bonzo or whatever he is called can barely walk let alone run :popcorn:

Boone from Lost ?? (Also in some Vampire series...) Im most definitely not a woman, but Id say he is reasonably good looking Oh and.. LIZZIE :woot: How you been gal?
Soods! LOL, yeah Ian Somerhalder. And that'd be my favorite vampire show. Some random chick claiming to be my friend doesn't agree that he's the most gorgeous man around. Not sure I can continue trusting her judgement.... Thanks for weighing in. I'm good, how are you? Any exciting news I missed?

Ever notice how in that instant you need it most, your best friend shows up and make all the monsters shrink to a size that you can handle? I think today should be BFF Appreciation Day in honor of every single best friend out there who is always there for you, always know the right thing to say or do, who will hunt down those who upsets you, and who, no matter how dark the day seems, can always, always find a way to make you laugh out loud, even if that laugh comes through tears. Ummm, yeah, I'm feeling emotional.