Fan blues!!!!!!!

suraj

Hundreds of Indian fans, who dreamt of seeing India and star batsman Sachin Tendulkar take on South Africa in Guyana on Saturday, were left cursing their luck at the National Stadium. If things had gone to plan, India would have qualified from the first round to take their place in what was expected to be a highly-charged clash with Graeme Smith's side. However, seeing Asian neighbours Bangladesh make up the fixture instead only sent them into a deeper despair. "We tried our level best to get a refund on our tickets and our hotel bookings cancelled, but we failed," said Nilesh Kumar, who has come from Bradford, northern England, to watch the World Cup. "In the end we decided to spend a few hundred dollars more and have the luxury of sightseeing in Antigua and Guyana, but we wanted to see India and Tendulkar." India were dumped out in the first round of the World Cup following their upset defeat against Bangladesh. They also lost to Sri Lanka and their only win came against minnows Bermuda. India's Australian coach Greg Chappell resigned from his post as billions of Indian fans were left disappointed and incensed over their team's abject exit. Scores of fans cancelled flights from various Indian cities to Guyana but still lost thousands of dollars over their accommodation with hotels charging one hundred per cent in case of a no-show. Munjal Raumchand, whose family originates from Gujrat, came from Florida in the United States for the tournament, but he described his visit as "futile". "It is like having a dream shattered," said Raumchand. "I took time off from my job and bought tickets well in advance but the Indian team's ouster has made my visit boring. It's like throwing my money in the bin." World Cup organisers, already reeling from their poorly-attended matches, tried to fill the 15 000-capacity stadium on Saturday with school children - but even they came in anticipation of watching the Indian stars. "We were anxiously waiting to see India play, but instead we are here to watch the Bangldesh team and we don't know much about them," said Devan Jagunandan, who studies at the local IP School. However, India's loss is Bangladesh's gain with many of their fans here in numbers. "We have extended our stay in the Caribbean because we have been following Bangladesh since the first round," said Shamshul Abedin, who hails from Chittagong in Bangladesh. "You play bad and you lose and India and Pakistan are out because they played badly. Bangladesh played well in the first round and they are here." Pakistan were also eliminated after the first round after they suffered an upset three-wicket defeat against debutants Ireland and lost to the West Indies by 54 runs. Their early exit also left hundreds of Guyanese Muslims high and dry. Many who had expected to see Pakistan play three matches here ripped up their tickets in frustration

Re: Fan blues!!!!!!! sour grapes. we always find a reason to whine and it irritates the hell out of me. "worst WC ever" "BD dont deserve it theyre lucky" etc please. :wall: anyways im thanking my stars i went for the 1st round games and enjoyed. i feel bad for the indian fans stranded having to watch teams they might not want to follow. but its a fun time anyways outside of the cricket. the last few games ive seen some indian fans at even the non-BD games, looks like theyve decided to settle for some good Cricket. good on them.

Re: Fan blues!!!!!!! Well that's sports for you. Nothing is guaranteed. We didn't call it worst world cup ever when India had to face Kenya in WC semi finals. To be honest WC has been good so far but it is India and Pakistan that had the worst WC.