You are the umpire - ICF game

OK I got the book called you are the umpire and I thought it would be fun to put forward some of the dilemas to the members of ICF. Firstly about the book Product Description A batsman's bat breaks in half mid-shot. He trips on the piece of broken blade, knocking it back into the stumps. Is he out hit wicket? At Canterbury (in the old days, before the big tree died) a ball strikes the upper branches and leaves of the tree but still clears the boundary. What do you signal? A batsman is struck on the helmet. Dazed, he walks into his stumps. The fielding team appeal. What do you decide? Paul Trevillion, Europe's foremost sports illustrator, has teamed up with ex-professional cricket and test umpire John Holder to produce this entertaining and informative guide to the laws of cricket. Based on the hugely popular "Observer" comic strip and embellished with anecdotes from John Holder's thirty-five years in top class cricket, this book is a treasure trove for all fans of this beautiful, compelling - sometimes frustrating - game. 103332.jpg OK we can play a game. I'll post some of the situations from the book and people here need to decide what would happen in that situation. You require more than just a yes or no answer, try explaining the reasoning behind your answer. I'll offer varying prizes depending on the the difficulty of the question. I'll pick the answer which I think is closest to the actual And if anyone has the book or has read it, please don't spoil the fun. Ok, lets start. Situation #1 A batsman plays a stroke which causes his bat to break. The chunk of the bat falls just behind him and he ball has gone into the gap, the batsman sets off to run and in the process his foot kicks the broken chunk of the bat onto the stumps while he is out of the crease. Is he out? Prize: $10000 ICF

OK I got the book called you are the umpire and I thought it would be fun to put forward some of the dilemas to the members of ICF. Firstly about the book Product Description A batsman's bat breaks in half mid-shot. He trips on the piece of broken blade, knocking it back into the stumps. Is he out hit wicket? At Canterbury (in the old days, before the big tree died) a ball strikes the upper branches and leaves of the tree but still clears the boundary. What do you signal? A batsman is struck on the helmet. Dazed, he walks into his stumps. The fielding team appeal. What do you decide? Paul Trevillion, Europe's foremost sports illustrator, has teamed up with ex-professional cricket and test umpire John Holder to produce this entertaining and informative guide to the laws of cricket. Based on the hugely popular "Observer" comic strip and embellished with anecdotes from John Holder's thirty-five years in top class cricket, this book is a treasure trove for all fans of this beautiful, compelling - sometimes frustrating - game. 103332.jpg OK we can play a game. I'll post some of the situations from the book and people here need to decide what would happen in that situation. You require more than just a yes or no answer, try explaining the reasoning behind your answer. I'll offer varying prizes depending on the the difficulty of the question. I'll pick the answer which I think is closest to the actual And if anyone has the book or has read it, please don't spoil the fun. Ok, lets start. Situation #1 A batsman plays a stroke which causes his bat to break. The chunk of the bat falls just behind him and he ball has gone into the gap, the batsman sets off to run and in the process his foot kicks the broken chunk of the bat onto the stumps while he is out of the crease. Is he out? Prize: $10000 ICF
no he isnt bcoz the batsman can be out if the bat is any contact with the batsman's body.since the piece which was broken was not in contact with his body,he shall be NOT OUT

I think he is not out. If the broken chunk had fallen straight on to the stumps, it would have been out. But not in this case. I think once the broken chunk has lost it's inertia of motion, it becomes an alien object. Then kicking it on to the stumps with another motion while taking the run definitely does not amount to hit wicket.

no he isnt bcoz the batsman can be out if the bat is any contact with the batsman's body.since the piece which was broken was not in contact with his body' date='he shall be NOT OUT[/quote'] No. I think I remember Sidhu's helmet falling back on the stumps and he was given out hit wicket. So if your helmet/bat or any other part of the batsman's clothing or protective equipments fall on the stumps and break them while not in contact with his body, he will be ruled out.
No. I think I remember Sidhu's helmet falling back on the stumps and he was given out hit wicket. So if your helmet/bat or any other part of the batsman's clothing or protective equipments fall on the stumps and break them while not in contact with his body' date=' he will be ruled out.[/quote'] also KP recently got out by this fashion..
He is not out. I have seen batsmen crashing into stumps while running. Even if he is out of the crease it does not qualify as a run out...
How can a batsman crash into the stumps while being outside the crease:hmmmm:
No. I think I remember Sidhu's helmet falling back on the stumps and he was given out hit wicket. So if your helmet/bat or any other part of the batsman's clothing or protective equipments fall on the stumps and break them while not in contact with his body' date=' he will be ruled out.[/quote'] u r right.i thought may be different ruling for the bat

I would say he is not out. The chunk fell on the ground while he played the shot so he is safe there. Then, if he in the process of a run accidentally kicks the chunk onto the stumps, he shouldn't be given out hit wicket as the chunk was a part of the bat, but not anymore. It is now, like Domaink said, an alien object.

yes he is out.
he is out cause, the bat is a part of batsmen's equipment. and when the ball is still in play.. wherever his equipment is, it will still be deemed as batsmen's equipment and it ll b deemed out since his one of the equipment which hits the stumps when hes still short of the crease.. its jus like how a helment which is places behind the wk is supposed to b live and the batsmen gets 5 runs if the ball touches the helment..
he is out cause, the bat is a part of batsmen's equipment. and when the ball is still in play.. wherever his equipment is, it will still be deemed as batsmen's equipment and it ll b deemed out since his one of the equipment which hits the stumps when hes still short of the crease.. its jus like how a helment which is places behind the wk is supposed to b live and the batsmen gets 5 runs if the ball touches the helment..
Congrats Situation #1 The explanation from the book says: If, in playing a shot, or setting off for a run any part of the batsman's person or equipment hits the wicket he is out on appeal.
Congrats The explanation from the book says: If, in playing a shot, or setting off for a run any part of the batsman's person or equipment hits the wicket he is out on appeal.
I did not know that hit wicket is applicable while taking a run. But you are right. Hit wicket can happen while setting off for the first run.