Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting

King

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting

Show me one test knock from SRT, which was the single most influential knock of the game, which led us to a test victory and which came against BIG ODDs, against a non-minnow.
155* against Aus at Chennai. 55 against Aus at Mumbai. 117 against WI at PoS. if you just want wins, which in itself is not the best criteria because its a team game and ultimately bowlers win you tests.

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting 155 came after we had a good start. The pressure in this innings is no where near comparable to the situation i listed. Besides it came against a no-namer list of bowlers (with Warney being the only exception -- whom every Indian batter have played well against). 55 is a good knock, but too small. IMO, the only knock SRT played comparable to the ones i listed is his 136 in Chennai vs Pak. Unfortunately we lost that game

Show me one test knock from SRT, which was the single most influential knock of the game [, which led us to a test victory and which came against BIG ODDs, against a non-minnow.
155* against Aus at Chennai. 55 against Aus at Mumbai. 117 against WI at PoS. if you just want wins, which in itself is not the best criteria because its a team game and ultimately bowlers win you tests.
Hate to nitpick here, but 55 against Aus coupled with laxman's brilliant 67 led us to test victory. So , I wouldn't call it single most influential knock.

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting Just going by wins (a very retarded type of argument which discards too many factors) is a very pa.ki type thinking, you'll invariably miss few gems of innings eg unbeaten 100 against eng saving the match or against pak which should've been won, or match saving 50 against fiery pak pace battery. Batting supremely against the best of moder era and not many wins should make you think about few other factors, but if you don't want to that's fine also.

Show me one test knock from SRT, which was the single most influential knock of the game [, which led us to a test victory and which came against BIG ODDs, against a non-minnow.
Hate to nitpick here, but 55 against Aus coupled with laxman's brilliant 67 led us to test victory. So , I wouldn't call it single most influential knock.
Nah, that was the most influential knock, watch the whole innings again. And in the context of the match, it was a big knock

Just going by wins (a very retarded type of argument which discards too many factors) is a very pa.ki type thinking' date=' you'll invariably miss few gems of innings eg unbeaten 100 against eng saving the match or against pak which should've been won. Batting supremely against the best of moder era and not many wins should make you think about few other factors, but if you don't want to that's fine also.[/quote'] Agree. Cramps got to him against Pak otherwise, that would have been match winning in my opinion.

Dont take me wrong. I am huge Laxman fan but the way Tendulkar attacked Hauritz in that innings threw the Aussies off their plan till somehow the Clarke move paid off. I think it was the most influential knock of the test.

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting Folks lets not delude ourselves here. SRT has played for 18 years. How can u find excuses, for not being able to list even one knock of the type i listed thay u can use to gloat, "Wow, only SRT could have played like that!". Heck even the fake match winner Lara, has 153* to show against his name, albeit the only one.

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting u cannot go by wins alone. SRT's knock at perth was a classic, but just because nobody else could last more than 5 mins at that pitch, dosent mean the knock wasnt good. SRT has always been more suited to the ODI game. Thats his forte, thats where he excels. give me knocks that lara, or hayden, or Ponting for that matter played that you can compare to these. 134 against Sharjah 143 at sharjah... 98* against Pakistan the only one that is comparable that i can think of is pontings WC final knock

Dont take me wrong. I am huge Laxman fan but the way Tendulkar attacked Hauritz in that innings threw the Aussies off their plan till somehow the Clarke move paid off. I think it was the most influential knock of the test.
I see your point and would agree.

155 came after we had a good start. The pressure in this innings is no where near comparable to the situation i listed. Besides it came under a no-namer list of bowlers (with Warney being the only exception -- whom every Indian batter have played well against).
Not taking anything away from Dravid's 233 at Adelaide but that attack did not even have Warne in it. Moreover, the pitch was a belter even on the last day. And its all fine to say in hindsight that Indians have dominated Warne, but a huge reason for that domination is that test series where Siddhu and Tendulkar regularly took him apart. At that time Warne came to India as a huge name and threat.

Re: Hulks eclipsing small batsmen like Sachin and me: Ponting BTW, if not for bhajji's hattrick and 2 crucial wkts by tendu, by your own logic 281 would've been just another selfish knock, on 2nd thought it might not be because it belonged to someone else :chin:

BTW' date=' if not for bhajji's hattrick and 2 crucial wkts by tendu, by your own logic 281 would've been just another selfish knock, on 2nd thought it might not be because it belonged to someone else :chin:[/quote'] 3 wickets

Heck even the fake match winner Lara, has 153* to show against his name, albeit the only one.
bumper, Warne or Mark Waugh of all slip fielders, dont remember exactly, dropped Lara 15 runs from victory. If Akram had dropped Tendulkar off Saqlain?

u cannot go by wins alone. SRT's knock at perth was a classic, but just because nobody else could last more than 5 mins at that pitch, dosent mean the knock wasnt good. SRT has always been more suited to the ODI game. Thats his forte, thats where he excels. give me knocks that lara, or hayden, or Ponting for that matter played that you can compare to these. 134 against Sharjah 143 at sharjah... 98* against Pakistan the only one that is comparable that i can think of is pontings WC final knock
U are mixing ODIs & Tests dude. No one denied he has knocks worthy of a great player in ODIs. In Tests however, its my opinion, that he has not lived up to his billing.

155 came after we had a good start. The pressure in this innings is no where near comparable to the situation i listed. Besides it came under a no-namer list of bowlers (with Warney being the only exception -- whom every Indian batter have played well against).
Not taking anything away from Dravid's 233 at Adelaide but that attack did not even have Warne in it. Moreover, the pitch was a belter even on the last day. And its all fine to say in hindsight that Indians have dominated Warne, but a huge reason for that domination is that test series where Siddhu and Tendulkar regularly took him apart. At that time Warne came to India as a huge name and threat.
But Shwetabh, u totally forget the context. Its Down Under where no team in recent memory has won a test, leave alone India. India hadnt won there since 1980s. We were reduced to 85/4 with almost all our top order in the hut. We were facing 500+deficit. Everyone's thinking innings defeat. To play a knock from that situation & win the game for India, is very special, something mortals can never manage. Thats why Dravid is a great player.

155 should not even be mentioned alongside the knocks i listed. When SRT came into the crease we were some 120+ for 2 i believe. We were playing at HOME (where we have beaten the Aussies for 30+ years), vs a no-name attack, with only Warney ot offer a challenge. As i said, the only knock, comparable in class was his 136 in Chennai. Big opposition, big bowlers and high pressure situation. Sadly he couldnt finish it.