Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty???

suraj

Vaas admits Fernando pulled out of last ball It?s an admission sure to provoke the purists ? not to mention England. Chaminda Vaas, the Sri Lanka fast bowler, has admitted Dilhara Fernando did employ gamesmanship before the last ball of their thriller against England. Ravi Bopara needed three runs from the final ball, but Fernando pulled out of his delivery to test Bopara?s reaction. He then clean bowled Bopara to seal the win. "I think, as an experienced bowler Dilhara deliberately did it," Vaas told the BBC's Sinhala Service. ?It was very important for the bowler to understand the batsman's reaction. I think it was a very wise move by Dilhara as a senior bowler." This got me thinking- here a bowler tested a batsman, pulled out to confuse the batsman and then bowled SL to victory. But a batsman cannot do this after the ball is delivered to even anticipate what the bowler was trying to do. So should there be atleast a penalty??? IMO, yes the bowler should be penalised. What do you think??

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? it is a grey area.... and best left to ethics... he can pull out due to multiple reasons.... and he can misuse it too..... a batsman jus has to take his stance..... a bowler needs to synchronise 18-25 strides,, with the leap to an accuracy of an inch.... if he feels something is amiss, it is fair tht he pulls out... Fernando was being unsportive and it is best left there, than trying to introduce a law....

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? Tilted too much in batsman's favour? I don't agree. A bowler has multiple chances to come back. If he bowls a bad ball, at the most he'll concede 6 runs. But if the batsman plays a bad shot, game is finished for him!!

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? Read this article to know the batsman's problems: When the bowlers are having a ball... Aakash Chopra April 16, 2007 First Published: 01:41 IST(16/4/2007) Last Updated: 01:57 IST(16/4/2007) One-day cricket is believed to be a batsman?s game, and this edition of the World Cup reiterated that belief. We?ve already seen over 300 sixes so far in the tournament and almost all the teams have made batting look ridiculously easy. Except for the first half of the match between South Africa and New Zealand. During that period, the ball moved all over the place, both in the air and off the pitch. Making contact with the ball was tough, leave alone middling it. So perhaps batting was not that easy after all! It required special skills and application from both Kallis and Gibbs to understand the swing. It works like this. Batsmen find things far easier if the ball doesn?t deviate in the air, it allows a player to play through the line of the ball. You just need to work out the angle and then play in that straight line. But if the ball starts swinging, it becomes a different ball game altogether. Suddenly, playing through the line is not an option. You have to look for the little clues, like the bowler?s action (side-on or open chest), the shine (if visible), the positioning of the bowler on the crease (wide or close to the stumps) and even the direction of the wind. Then, a player has to back his years of practice and draw a conclusion based on those hints: which way will the ball move (and how much) and then position his feet accordingly. The basics of batting (assuming you?re a right-hander) are to play the ball on the right side of your front leg and play it as late as possible (close to your body). These basics become more crucial when the ball is swinging, as playing down the wrong line or away from the body can make matters difficult. Once the ball leaves the bowler?s hand, there?s very little time for the batsman to gauge the deviation both in the air and off the surface. Hence, a player has to get his front leg in a position to meet the ball on its right side very quickly. It requires both skill and years of hard work. Sometimes, the ball starts moving as soon as it leaves the hand and that makes it a little (only a little!) easier to adjust the feet movement. Then, there is another set of bowlers, who do not swing the ball in the air, but get it to move off the pitch (like McGrath). These bowlers rarely give you clues and are even tougher to play. Playing swing bowling is a lot about imagination (you imagine how much it?ll move in the air, will it move after pitching or not and how much if it does). But, for batting, as in life, imagination too is a skill and practice helps!

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? it can be done both ways.. A bowler pulling out at the last second can confuse the batsmen like a certain paki bowler does often..but at the same time a batsman can move away just as the bowlers reaches the bowling line, at which point it will be too hard for the bowler to pull out. Nothing can be done about it. On another note, my reason for disliking the Sri lankans from the 90s is precisely that they pull stuff like this often. I remember when their spinners exp chandana would fall in front of the non-strikers feet to prevent him from getting a quick single, any time the ball is hit in the other direction irrespective of how close the ball is.

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty???

Read this article to know the batsman's problems: When the bowlers are having a ball... Aakash Chopra April 16, 2007 First Published: 01:41 IST(16/4/2007) Last Updated: 01:57 IST(16/4/2007) One-day cricket is believed to be a batsman?s game, and this edition of the World Cup reiterated that belief. We?ve already seen over 300 sixes so far in the tournament and almost all the teams have made batting look ridiculously easy. Except for the first half of the match between South Africa and New Zealand. During that period, the ball moved all over the place, both in the air and off the pitch. Making contact with the ball was tough, leave alone middling it. So perhaps batting was not that easy after all! It required special skills and application from both Kallis and Gibbs to understand the swing. It works like this. Batsmen find things far easier if the ball doesn?t deviate in the air, it allows a player to play through the line of the ball. You just need to work out the angle and then play in that straight line. But if the ball starts swinging, it becomes a different ball game altogether. Suddenly, playing through the line is not an option. You have to look for the little clues, like the bowler?s action (side-on or open chest), the shine (if visible), the positioning of the bowler on the crease (wide or close to the stumps) and even the direction of the wind. Then, a player has to back his years of practice and draw a conclusion based on those hints: which way will the ball move (and how much) and then position his feet accordingly. The basics of batting (assuming you?re a right-hander) are to play the ball on the right side of your front leg and play it as late as possible (close to your body). These basics become more crucial when the ball is swinging, as playing down the wrong line or away from the body can make matters difficult. Once the ball leaves the bowler?s hand, there?s very little time for the batsman to gauge the deviation both in the air and off the surface. Hence, a player has to get his front leg in a position to meet the ball on its right side very quickly. It requires both skill and years of hard work. Sometimes, the ball starts moving as soon as it leaves the hand and that makes it a little (only a little!) easier to adjust the feet movement. Then, there is another set of bowlers, who do not swing the ball in the air, but get it to move off the pitch (like McGrath). These bowlers rarely give you clues and are even tougher to play. Playing swing bowling is a lot about imagination (you imagine how much it?ll move in the air, will it move after pitching or not and how much if it does). But, for batting, as in life, imagination too is a skill and practice helps!
Good post chandan- makes you think about the conventional propogation that it is a batsman's game!!!

it can be done both ways.. A bowler pulling out at the last second can confuse the batsmen like a certain pakistani bowler does often..but at the same time a batsman can move away just as the bowlers reaches the bowling line, at which point it will be too hard for the bowler to pull out. Nothing can be done about it. On another note, my reason for disliking the Sri lankans from the 90s is precisely that they pull stuff like this often. I remember when their spinners exp chandana would fall in front of the non-strikers feet to prevent him from getting a quick single, any time the ball is hit in the other direction irrespective of how close the ball is.
Hmm this is very interesting- although I am not sure of how much of this will actually let a team win the match

it can be done both ways.. A bowler pulling out at the last second can confuse the batsmen like a certain pakistani bowler does often..but at the same time a batsman can move away just as the bowlers reaches the bowling line, at which point it will be too hard for the bowler to pull out. Nothing can be done about it. On another note, my reason for disliking the Sri lankans from the 90s is precisely that they pull stuff like this often. I remember when their spinners exp chandana would fall in front of the non-strikers feet to prevent him from getting a quick single, any time the ball is hit in the other direction irrespective of how close the ball is.
i never ever liked Chandana. greasy fellow. ive seen him also take runs as overthrows after the throw ricocheted off his bat (that too it was against us - and a damn close game at that. we won anyways :hic: )

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? For every bowler friendly pitch...there are enough graveyard pitches to break the bowlers back. Even the best swing bowlers need helpful conditions to work at their best ...and how many of the bowlers can do it. The fact is that most of the times ....it is a game made for batsmen where bowlers are the "step sons".And most new rules have been made to control the bowlers and giving the batsmen unfair advantage. Who knows one day ...just to make the game more big hitter friendly we will see restriction on swing too.

Re: Pullout by bowler: Should there be a penalty??? Did Dilhara do it deliberately ? Bowlers can also pull out when the pressure is on. I remember when IND played PAK in the '99 C&U Series - it was a very tight, low-scoring thriller which ultimately went down to the last ball - Saqlain was on strike and Prasad was the bowler. PAK needed 1 off the final ball to win. Prasad went into his run up and before releasing it, he pulled out. Who knows why he did so, but i personallly thought it was deliberate. He got it right next time, and Saqlain missed with the hoick but scampered through for the single as Dighe couldn't hit the stumps. Can't hold that against Prasad, and i bet it wasn't the first time a bowler pulled out either. It's not something that warrants a warning - unless he does it more than once in an over.