SRK Detained and Humiliated at Newark Airport

Rajiv

What are the odds' date=' a movie with the same issue, 'My Name is Khan - where a guy is detained in USA because he was a muslim'.. happened in real life.. just before the release of the movie. F ucking egomaniac and a publicity kutta (as in hound!)..[/quote']
:dito:
Are you guys claiming he somehow convinced US immigration authorities to detain him? Sounds a lot like how some in the Islamic world claimed the US orchestrated 911. :winky:

For all die-hard SRK fans, read this and weep: ----------------------------------------------------------------- SRK was cleared in 66 minutes, say US officials Chidanand Rajghatta, TNN 16 August 2009, 10:06pm IST WASHINGTON: Allegations that Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan was ''detained'' for two hours on account of his last name are incorrect, US Customs and Border Protection officials said on Saturday, maintaining that the process of clearing him lasted a little more than an hour and even that delay was because his baggage had not arrived on the same flight he did. In clarifications to the media aimed at giving their version of the episode that has created a ruckus in India -- and attracted wide coverage in the US -- CBP officials gave the following sequence of events. After a preliminary check at the immigration counter, Khan was recommended for a secondary check in a separate room (for reasons the CBP would not specify). Because there were other people ahead of Khan in the room, this process took a little time and this was further extended because the airline had failed to load his checked luggage on the same flight. Still, the whole process took a little more than an hour, officials said, maintaining that ''C.B.P. strives to treat all travelers with respect and in a professional manner, while maintaining the focus of our mission to protect all citizens and visitors in the US.'' The New York Post quoted one official saying the whole process took 66 minutes. Meanwhile, Khan reeled back a little from his initial rage against the security process, telling a news agency, ''I think it is a procedure that needs to be followed. But it is an unfortunate procedure.'' In engagements in Atlantic City and Chicago over the weekend, he said he does not feel like stepping on American soil anymore, but the ''love and affection of his fans'' would keep bringing him back. He also ruled out seeking an apology for the incident. The Khan episode attracted plenty of attention in the US and across the world with media outlets and blogs holding forth on the incident. ''Wrath of Profiled Khan'' the New York Post said in a story, while the New York Times blogged on the incident under the headline ''Questioning a Bollywood VIP.'' The incident was also reported extensively in the Islamic world. ''Muslim name holds India Star at US airport,'' the portal Islam Online reported. While thousands of fans reacted with blind outrage over the perceived slight to their hero, others saw felt the incident was blown out of proportion (variously by Khan, his supporters, and even the media). A few saw it as a publicity stunt. ''He’s come to America tons of time before and it has to happen when he was promoting ''My Name is Khan'' about a Muslim boy who goes to US post-9/11?'' asked Anirudh Bhati, a student from Gandhinagar, Gujarat, in an online message to ToI. ''Now I’m gonna watch the movie no matter what happens.'' A procedure was followed. Now SRK is milking it for enough publicity for his film. A publicity hound like none other.

His bags didn't come with him. So customs asked him to wait for an hour for his baggage to arrive in another flight. That's procedure for everybody, he is just used to being a big-sho in India, where people attend to his beck and call. He is definitely milking the episode for a movie he is making on the subject. There were other stars who were more harassed than him like Kamal Hassan, Irfan Khan, Mammooty etc.. Nobody else made an issue of it. He is only exposing his aukat.

His bags didn't come with him. So customs asked him to wait for an hour for his baggage to arrive in another flight. That's procedure for everybody' date=' he is just used to being a big-sho in India, where people attend to his beck and call. He is definitely milking the episode for a movie he is making on the subject. There were other stars who were more harassed than him like Kamal Hassan, Irfan Khan, Mammooty etc.. Nobody else made an issue of it. He is only exposing his aukat.[/quote'] Kamal Hassan did make an issue of it and rightly so. So did Abdul Kalam. If it happened to me, I would be pissed off as well and try to make as big an issue of it as possible, not that anyone would care. BTW, the article didn't say the only issue was his baggage arriving late. It added to the delay is what I understood.

Why would the airport authorities ask him to wait for his luggage/baggage? It is the flight's responsibility to deliver his luggage/baggage if it has misplaced or lost it. Both, Delta and United Airlines misplaced my luggage and delivered it the next day.

Kamal Hassan did make an issue of it and rightly so. So did Abdul Kalam. If it happened to me' date= I would be pissed off as well and try to make as big an issue of it as possible, not that anyone would care. BTW, the article didn't say the only issue was his baggage arriving late. It added to the delay is what I understood.
No. APJ Kalam made no issue of it. His incident happened in April, but it was only some media outlet that made an issue out of it in June/July. Infact, of all the people he was most entitled to an apology as he was detained on Indian soil. Apart from serving heads of states like Prime Minister and President, if anyone else from India is searched in the US and makes a hue and cry about it is only displaying his/her massive ego and self importance. The US customs and border agents are only doing their jobs - they are not out to get anyone.

Why would the airport authorities ask him to wait for his luggage/baggage? It is the flight's responsibility to deliver his luggage/baggage if it has misplaced or lost it. Both, Delta and United Airlines misplaced my luggage and delivered it the next day.
Its not like they made him wait for a day. It was for an hour. I am amazed at the sense of entitlement that celebrities in India have. Everyone is inconvenienced by the security but most people recognize that this is essential in today's world, except ofcourse egomaniacs like SRK.

Its not like they made him wait for a day. It was for an hour. I am amazed at the sense of entitlement that celebrities in India have. Everyone is inconvenienced by the security but most people recognize that this is essential in today's world' date=' except ofcourse egomaniacs like SRK.[/quote'] Absolutely.

SRK is the biggest dirtbag out there trying to milk it for his big movie..... he calls himself modest...ha! he even repeated the whole saga in front of everyone at NJ independence day celebration and how he was detained coz his name is khan.....

SRK is a international icon . Bet you that a Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise traveling to India will never have to encounter the kind of harsh treatment which was meted to the great khan. Au contraire ' date= they would be treated like VIP's in Indian airports....
International does not equal to india, pakistan, bangladesh and desi UK parts Bollywood is just being recognized worldwide for Slumdog millionaire especially in US....it will take years before Indian celebrities become global icons

yes it was humiliating cuz he had to wait for full 66 mins ..
it is not how long, it is because he was detained because his last name matched some terrorist's name, basically saying we suspect you belong to a terrorist "clan". and it is not just him. several people have been unfairly stopped because of their name. he is just the latest.

it is not how long, it is because he was detained because his last name matched some terrorist's name, basically saying we suspect you belong to a terrorist "clan". and it is not just him. several people have been unfairly stopped because of their name. he is just the latest.
first to clear things, I think he is whining unnecessarily. If I happen to have my first name as Osama then I will get stopped, same way he has a surname which is on the "checklist". He didnt get arrested or tortured.. he knew that US does it to people landing in the country (heck he even made a movie about it) and he still chose to visit that land :desiman:

it is not how long' date='[b'] it is because he was detained because his last name matched some terrorist's name, basically saying we suspect you belong to a terrorist "clan". and it is not just him. several people have been unfairly stopped because of their name. he is just the latest.
Well, it is a fact that there are active islamist terrorist groups. If SRK's name does find a match with some terrorist, the what else are the immigration agents supposed to do, except to make sure that he is not a criminal and then let him go. The immigration DID NOT arrest or deport him. They simply made sure everything was in order and then let him go. It took 66 minutes - which I think is a reasonable amount of time to check up the the previous US trips SRK made, any pending criminal cases, check up on his baggage etc. To those who are criticizing US immigration - please let us know your alternative: what is the US immigration supposed to do if a traveler's name raises a flag on the immigration database? Suppose tomorrow a pakistani travels to India and his name is Masood Azhar, but he is clean shaven and wears a suit. Ofcourse, his name would raise a flag in the immigration system. Arent the Indian immigration officers justified in taking as long as it takes to make sure the pakistani is not the "real" Masood Azhar? Or should they just let him go, as he "doesnt look" like a terrorist?

every patel brothers would be under lock down.....there will be chaos amongst tourists in city and small town... where to stay? all the motels are being shut down! No more Raas/dandiya, no more dhokla, FBI would start monitoring every word with "che" added to it....