SRK Detained and Humiliated at Newark Airport

Rajiv

As he should be. Americans, in general, are the biggest morons when it comes to knowing anything/anyone else outside their country. These is the same lot that was going ape$**** when Richard Gere was being hounded by right wing Indians for kissing Shilpa Shetty. Wonder whatever had happened to the corum of the country then? It is not a rocket science to find an International celebrity, it is a freaking 2 minute job. Considering how many Bollywood movies are being shot in US, specially NYC area, these days you would actually expect a fast track process for Indian cine stars. Instead what you have is some dumbass moron stopping them. xxx

Talk about getting your 66 minutes of fame:hysterical: The way people are acting its like he was flown out to Guantamono Bay and tortured for 66 weeks!!!
Very much.People's reaction is way over the top! If any thing it is ''usual '' business '' for Khan,tried to take advantage of the situation to the maximum.

As he should be. Americans, in general, are the biggest morons when it comes to knowing anything/anyone else outside their country. These is the same lot that was going ape$**** when Richard Gere was being hounded by right wing Indians for kissing Shilpa Shetty. Wonder whatever had happened to the corum of the country then? It is not a rocket science to find an International celebrity, it is a freaking 2 minute job. Considering how many Bollywood movies are being shot in US, specially NYC area, these days you would actually expect a fast track process for Indian cine stars. Instead what you have is some dumbass moron stopping them. xxx
Here we go the protector of all things islamic and the one who will take up all their minutest causes has arrived.:haha:

The fact you are a celebrity does not mean you should be stopped or searched??? Thats a new rule! What celebrities can't be terrorists/traf****ing drugs or up to no good? Strange society you want. Clealry in awe of the celebrity culture that preavails the modern world:haha: If you want can give you a list of celebrity cricminal activities from both west and east:haha: Are the police allowed to stop and question celbrities as well or is that also not allowed? There are loads of celebs who wish that the case:--D

Big deal, I have been set aside for questioning twice at the US immigration till now. :D No one created a hue or cry for that. :(( Its actually quite an unpleasant experience. You’re asked to sit in this room that is full of people who look like illegal immigrants, asylum seekers and drug dealers. Then, an officer will call out your name aloud (which is even more embarrassing.). You have to go to his cube, answer his questions and if he satisfied with your answers, he’ll let you through. On both the occasions, it didn’t take more than 20 mins for everything to be done with. :D

Big deal, I have been set aside for questioning twice at the US immigration till now. :D No one created a hue or cry for that. :((
No-one raises a hue and cry if a John Doe is stopped at the US Airport as well, however if Tom Hanks is done so it will raise a hue and cry, and quite rightly so. This would be even worse if Tom Hanks was stopped in India because he was an American. And even worse if 5 different immigration officers were suggesting it was indeed Tom Hanks but one loony felt that he had it in his capacity to not let Tom Hanks go unless there was a call from American Counsellate in New Delhi. I am sure Shakespeare is rolling in his grave thinking abt - Whats in a (sur)name?

o really then how come SRK has a wax statue in Madame Tussauds in England?
Having an SRK wax statue would sell a lot of subcontinent tickets. All of the non subcontinental crowd would still wonder who he is ( which in effect would not make him a global star)

Having an SRK wax statue would sell a lot of subcontinent tickets. All of the non subcontinental crowd would still wonder who he is ( which in effect would not make him a global star)
Not sure if you have ever seen a SRK movie in an American(or for that matter British) theatre. The crowd comprises of lot more than subcontinent fans. Many Middle Eastern fans, for example, are seen easily. And by the way whats the defintion of a global star? Pound for pound SRK would have lot more fans in this world, and in lot many countries than most actors from Hollywood. It is quite amazing how we insist on kicking our own heroes, pun intentional. xxx

No-one raises a hue and cry if a John Doe is stopped at the US Airport as well' date= however if Tom Hanks is done so it will raise a hue and cry, and quite rightly so. This would be even worse if Tom Hanks was stopped in India because he was an American. And even worse if 5 different immigration officers were suggesting it was indeed Tom Hanks but one loony felt that he had it in his capacity to not let Tom Hanks go unless there was a call from American Counsellate in New Delhi. I am sure Shakespeare is rolling in his grave thinking abt - Whats in a (sur)name?
Why is it justifiable to raise a hue and cry if someone famous is stopped? Are celebrities entitled to more rights than common people? You are welcome to do so, but I refuse to subscribe to such a servile mentality. The rules should be simple - except for official dignitaries, no one should be treated partially.

Not sure if you have ever seen a SRK movie in an American(or for that matter British) theatre. The crowd comprises of lot more than subcontinent fans. Many Middle Eastern fans, for example, are seen easily. And by the way whats the defintion of a global star? Pound for pound SRK would have lot more fans in this world, and in lot many countries than most actors from Hollywood. It is quite amazing how we insist on kicking our own heroes, pun intentional. xxx
It doesnt matter if he is a global star. He is an Indian and should treated as the rest of Indians are, while standing in an immigration line at the US airport.

It doesnt matter if he is a global star. He is an Indian and should treated as the rest of Indians are, while standing in an immigration line at the US airport.
Exactly. Either change the overall policy or treat all Indians the same. By the way - do they do these "secondary extended" screenings only for Visa holders, or do they also do these for naturalized US Citizens?

Why is it justifiable to raise a hue and cry if someone famous is stopped? Are celebrities entitled to more rights than common people? You are welcome to do so' date= but I refuse to subscribe to such a servile mentality. The rules should be simple - except for official dignitaries, no one should be treated partially.
It is rather simple. The key idea of Airport Security is to ascertain your identity. Simple. That is why you carry passports, driving license, visa etc etc. For everything else Security related you and your bags are done X-rays. In case of celebrities it is so much easier to ascertain their identity. Nobody is suggesting a celebrity, or his bag, should not be checked but yes it beggars belief that once a person's identitification is done you would still harry him because of his surname. That, dear Sir, is being servile to Western taskmasters. :winky:

It doesnt matter if he is a global star. He is an Indian and should treated as the rest of Indians are' date= while standing in an immigration line at the US airport.
And Indians are treated shoddily. Just because Indians, in general, do not react to US immigration officers(bulk of whom are braindead morons anyway), an Indian of celebrity rank should do the same?? What sane logic :haha: There is a reason BULK of Indian migrants dont raise a ruckus. They do not want their immigration status to come under any sort of scrutiny. Who the heck wants to be kicked out from the land of American dream eh? Do I need to open the topic of Indians standing in line forever for the Green card? You sincerely think these GC aspirants are the one who are going to take on the might of USCIS. Get real! Atleast folks like SRK did take it up. And Ambika Soni also went out to say Indians should treat the Americans the same way when they land in Delhi. I say sure why the hello not?? xxx

And Indians are treated shoddily. Just because Indians, in general, do not react to US immigration officers(bulk of whom are braindead morons anyway), an Indian of celebrity rank should do the same?? What sane logic :haha:
I would rather have those brain-dead morons who have been able to protect their country from terrorist attacks since 9/11 than our outstanding immigration services that have allowed innumerable terrorists to enter India and escape from India over the last several years. BTW Indians are treated same as many other nationalities at US airports.
There is a reason BULK of Indian migrants dont raise a ruckus. They do not want their immigration status to come under any sort of scrutiny. Who the heck wants to be kicked out from the land of American dream eh? Do I need to open the topic of Indians standing in line forever for the Green card? You sincerely think these GC aspirants are the one who are going to take on the might of USCIS. Get real!
Are we talking of Green cards or of immigration security checks at airports. Do you think Indians are discriminated against and treated shoddily as compared to others in during US immigration or customs check at the airports
Atleast folks like SRK did take it up. And Ambika Soni also went out to say Indians should treat the Americans the same way when they land in Delhi. I say sure why the hello not??
LOL! It would have been much more credible had SRK returned to India on the next flight and then opened his big mouth rather than standing on US soil and making an ass of himself. And I have to be amazed at Ambika Soni - she must share a special bond with SRK for speaking out only after he was subjected to scrutiny. But I would WELCOME a similar level of security as the US airports and sea ports in India.

It is rather simple. The key idea of Airport Security is to ascertain your identity. Simple. That is why you carry passports, driving license, visa etc etc. For everything else Security related you and your bags are done X-rays. In case of celebrities it is so much easier to ascertain their identity. Nobody is suggesting a celebrity, or his bag, should not be checked but yes it beggars belief that once a person's identitification is done you would still harry him because of his surname.
Once SRKs name raised a flag it was the duty of the agents to ascertain not just SRKs identity but also the purpose of his visit i.e. whether he had a valid reason to enter US. They checked up on his previous trips and WAITED for his baggage to arrive (they were on a different plane) as well. SRK himself said that the room has several others waiting to have their security check cleared - which means he was in a queue. The whole thing took 66 minutes, which I find completely reasonable. They did not throw him into the jail or something or torture him. As far as this celebrity thing goes - firstly it shouldnt matter at all. Secondly, SRK is no celebrity in the US.

I would rather have those brain-dead morons who have been able to protect their country from terrorist attacks since 9/11 than our outstanding immigration services that have allowed innumerable terrorists to enter India and escape from India over the last several years.
WOW! I must say either you are pretty ignorant of the way Airport Security works or you are just trying to be argumentative. How does a TSA compare with terrorists entering India and escaping abroad??? You are not comparing TSA to BSF now, are you?
BTW Indians are treated same as many other nationalities at US airports.
Totally disagree. Indians suffer the flake lot more than say Brazil simply because latter does not have any "Khan" surname, or for that matter a German or an Aussie. So your argument does not hold water. And didn't Brazil resort to start finger printing Americans when Americans started doing this nonsense post 911? What happened? Suddenly Americans were up in arms with a "It is discriminatory", "It takes forever", "invasion on privacy" etc etc. I would be happy to dig some links if you insist.
Do you think Indians are discriminated against and treated shoddily as compared to others in during US immigration or customs check at the airports .
Answered it already. yes Indians are treated shoddily. Shahrukh Khan, Azim Premji both luminaries were maltreated. Not to mention Abul Kalaam was treated within India!! Pray do tell me when was Gerard Depardieu mistreated at JFK, or Jazque Chiraq in France? And pray do tell me if Frenchmen would not be kicking Americans at every possible mention. An average India takes the shoddy treatment for reasons I have mentioned above. SRK made it a public embarassment for Americans, as it should be. By the way most American newsmedia has covered this and most Americans have supported SRK's cause. It is only certain Indians, specially those with anti-Muslim bias that will kowtow to Americans. And of course then they talk of servile atitude :giggle: xxx