Why India doesn't have one unorthodox bowler like Hogg?

King

I've never seen say a Brad Hogg or even the likes of Gavin Larsen play for India. In India the coaches don't let unorthodox blossom. They nip them in the bud and teach the young ones the MCC style of cricket. I had a cousin that was good at bowling left arm chinaman and the very first net session he attended in hard ball cricket the coach advised him not to bowl chinaman as it was not popular. Eventually my cousin ended up being left arm spinner and hardly did anything noteworthy even in club cricket. I know there were likes of JP Yadav, RS Sodhi but they were not given long enough run just because they were not quick but were slow medium pacers. Gavin Larsen that played for NZ in the 90s was one of the top bowlers for NZ in the ODI format. Australia has unorthodox bowler in Hogg and have had the likes of Katich, Bevan also bowl left arm chinaman. I'm quite sure there has not been one chinaman bowler in India. Are you guys aware of one single chinaman bowler ever played for India? Are there any in the domestic cricket at all?

Re: Why India doesn't have one unorthodox bowler like Hogg?

In India the coaches don't let unorthodox blossom. They nip them in the bud and teach the young ones the MCC style of cricket
Thats not true. We've had two very successful unorthodox spinners: Chandra and Kumble. Were they nipped in the bud? No.

In India the coaches don't let unorthodox blossom. They nip them in the bud and teach the young ones the MCC style of cricket
Thats not true. We've had two very successful unorthodox spinners: Chandra and Kumble. Were they nipped in the bud? No.
They still bowl leg spin and can't be termed unorthodox. The only unorthodoxy in their bowling is that they can't turn and that is because of the grip on the ball and the way they deliver. I don't see anything unorthodox in them as for action and delivery goes. I'm speaking from my experience and I've seen the coaches in India hell bent on teaching the kids to play perfect cover drives. I've been a part of that system myself too. The coach used to be livid if we hit fours without looking perfect. Is there a single chinaman bowler in domestic cricket?

I have seen karsan ghavri bowl chinaman when he used to bowl spin instead of medium pace even in Tests.
Is that right? I know he was a medium pacer but never knew he could bowl chinaman.

I have seen karsan ghavri bowl chinaman when he used to bowl spin instead of medium pace even in Tests.
Is that right? I know he was a medium pacer but never knew he could bowl chinaman.
Yes, I have seen him bowl china man in tests in India . He used to bowl spin when the ball become old on numerous occasions.

I've seen Sachin bowl chinaman too' date=' with his left hand. Can you believe it?[/quote'] I know he is ambidextrous but never knew he can bowl with both hands. If you've seen it I believe it :hic:

Re: Why India doesn't have one unorthodox bowler like Hogg? cmon, Chandrasekhar bowled with polio! he had a limp wrist and just whipped the ball into the batsmen. if that is not unique, nothing is. as for chinamen bowlers, i doubt that there have been any. but i dont know how you would call Harbhajan an orthodox bowler. how many people in the world bowl the doosra? 3? 4?

cmon, Chandrasekhar bowled with polio! he had a limp wrist and just whipped the ball into the batsmen. if that is not unique, nothing is. as for chinamen bowlers, i doubt that there have been any. but i dont know how you would call Harbhajan an orthodox bowler. how many people in the world bowl the doosra? 3? 4?
I think you are getting a bit mixed up between unique and orthodox. The orthodox in cricketing terms are off spin, leg spin, medium pace and fast bowling. The doosra you are talking about is a variation and not a full time bowling option.

Well we have Pragyan Ojha who is a young left arm chinamen bowler in domestic cricket. Hes been doing pretty good too.
saw him in one of the domestic televised games (maybe Irani or Duleep). he is not a chinamen, he is left arm orthodox

Re: Why India doesn't have one unorthodox bowler like Hogg? Don is right about Pragyan Ojha. I remember reading somewhere that he is a chinaman bowler. Ravi's OP makes a good point though. During my experience in India at whatever little coaching is available for university teams, I noticed similar things. We had a cracking batsman in our team in the Sehwag/Gibbs mould, little foot movement, amazing hand-eye coordination, superb timing. During our practice sessions, whenever the coach could find to show up he used to take this guy to task about not moving his feet. The guy's game got all jumbled up because his strength was not feet movement but a steady head and balance at the time of playing a shot which I guess he lost in all the technicalities.