John Wright has become suicidal - Wants to be PAK coach

I can't believe this guy , he could end up becoming the next head coach of Pakistan. Why would you want to do that , especially considering Pakistan's checkered history in the past . http://uk.reuters.com/article/cricketNews/idUKL1934919320070419 Pakistan's cricket authorities have turned to New Zealander John Wright as a possible replacement for coach Bob Woolmer, who died during the World Cup. Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told Reuters that some discussions had been held with Wright, 52, to find out if he would be interested in coaching the national side. "Wright's response was good. The board is also looking at another foreigner, Tim Boon, coach of Leicestershire, as a possible candidate," one source said on Thursday. The PCB on Thursday named all-rounder Shoaib Malik as captain until the end of the year and former test player, Talat Ali, as manager for two years but did not announce a replacement for Woolmer. Woolmer, the former England player, was coach from 2004 until March 18 this year when he was pronounced dead in hospital in Jamaica a day after Pakistan lost to debutants Ireland and were eliminated from the World Cup in the first round. His death is being treated by Jamaican police as murder. Pakistan also had a foreign coach, Briton Richard Pybus, in the 2003 World Cup when they did not progress beyond the first round. "The reason the board has delayed naming a new coach is because it is still looking at several candidates some of them foreigners," the source said. STRONG CANDIDATE He said Wright, who was coach of the Indian team from 2000 to 2005, was a strong candidate followed by Boon who was video analyst with the England team during their 2005 Ashes win over Australia. Boon has also been England's under-19 coach and of South African provincial side, Natal. "The name of Boon has been recommended by someone in the England and Wales Cricket Board," the source said. Former Pakistan test pacer, Aaqib Javed, is the strongest local candidate for the post although the source said there was resistance to his appointment.

Re: John Wright has become suicidal - Wants to be PAK coach I don't reckon Wright will go to Pakistan. The article only suggests Pakistan has spoken to him as a potential candidate. Wrighty hasn't mentioned a word about this in NZ media and I suppose he won't go. He is having a decent enough family life and is a good bloke. I don't want to see him an extremely frustrated person that is pushed and shoved physically by the Paki players.

Re: John Wright has become suicidal - Wants to be PAK coach These guys like challenges. I would be surprised thoough if he takes up the job given the cicrumstances. Pak should look at a domestic coach till the Woolmer murder mystery is resolved.

Re: John Wright has become suicidal - Wants to be PAK coach

These guys like challenges. I would be surprised thoough if he takes up the job given the cicrumstances. Pak should look at a domestic coach till the Woolmer murder mystery is resolved.
I don't think they have enough qualified candidates at the domestic level. Miandad is a proven failure , Imran is all talk and no walk, Rashid latif is a loose cannon .The only two viable candidates I can think of are Aquib Javed and Mudasser Nazar. They lack experience and prospect of hiring Wright for the PCB would be too tempting.